Official artwork of a Hammer Bro from New Super Mario Bros. U
|Debut||Super Mario Bros. (1985)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||Brawl|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Mario Party Superstars (2021)|
|Console/platform of origin||Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Place of origin||Mushroom Kingdom|
|Created by||Shigeru Miyamoto|
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Hammer Bro|
The Hammer Bro (ハンマーブロス, Hammer Bros.), or Hammer Brother, are enemies from the Mario series.
Hammer Bros. made their debut in Super Mario Bros. as a common enemy, and has become a common enemy in later Mario games. They are Koopa Troopas with larger shells and helmets. They attack by throwing hammers at the player while jumping between surrounding platforms. Variants of Hammer Bros. include the Boomerang Bro, Fire Bro, and Ice Bro.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
In Subspace Emissary.
|Level(s) appears in||The Jungle|
The Great Maze
As an Assist Trophy and in The Subspace Emissary
The Hammer Bro debuted in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as an Assist Trophy and an enemy in The Subspace Emissary.
As an Assist Trophy, when the Hammer Bro is summoned, they remain stationary in the area where they are summoned and attack by throwing hammers at the opponents. They occasionally jump, which can give their thrown hammers extra distance.
As an enemy in The Subspace Emissary, the Hammer Bro functions similarly as an Assist Trophy. They remain in one area, throw hammers at the players, and jump between platforms occasionally.
The Hammer Bro trophy can be obtained by using the Trophy Stand on the Hammer Bro in The Subspace Emissary.
- Hammer Bro
- A character who throws a seemingly endless stream of hammers. Hammer Bros. have also been known to jump every so often. Since they throw their hammers in a high arc, if you manage to get in close, the hammers can't hit you. Unlike Koopas and Buzzy Beetles, Hammer Bros. don't reduce to their shells when jumped on. As the name suggests, most Hammer Bros. are found in pairs.
- : Super Mario Bros.
- : New Super Mario Bros.
|Hammer Bro||New Super Mario Bros.||Attack +6|
(New Super Mario Bros.)
In Super Smash Bros. 4
As a background character
The Hammer Bros. appears as a background character in the Super Mario Maker stage riding a Lakitu cloud. Their appearance changes depending on the game style, matching their designs in Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U.
As an Assist Trophy and in Smash Run
The Hammer Bros. return as an Assist Trophy and an enemy in Smash Run, reprising their behavior in Brawl.
As an Assist Trophy, like most of the on-stage Assist Trophies that are invulnerable to attack, the Hammer Bros. can be attacked and KO'd. When they are KO'd, they act as they do in Super Mario Bros., falling through the stage while upside down.
The Hammer Bro trophy appears in both versions. In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, it is part of the Bowser's Minions Trophy Box.
- Hammer Bro
- These elite trooper turtles usually appeared in pairs in Super Mario Bros., wearing helmets and chucking hammers at Mario. When summoned, they'll advance on the nearest opponent and lob hammers in a graceful arc. Sometimes they'll throw in a jump to mix things up.
- : Super Mario Bros. (10/1985)
- : Super Mario Galaxy 2 (05/2010)
- Hammer Bros. usually appear in pairs in Super Mario Bros. games. With helmets on heads and hammers in hand, Bowser's elite troops never leg it when Mario shows up. In this game, they appear solo, flinging hammers at the nearest target. They can also jump and throw, so stay sharp!
- : Super Mario Bros. (05/1987)
- : Super Mario Galaxy 2 (06/2010)
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
As an Assist Trophy
The Hammer Bro return as an Assist Trophy, reprising their behavior in Brawl and Super Smash Bros. 4.
The Hammer Bro Assist Trophy can be attacked and KO'd, which earns the player an extra point. Training Mode describes their Assist Trophy: Throws hammers. Lots and lots of hammers. They cannot be summoned on the Mute City SNES stage.
Hammer Bro also appears as an Advance-class support spirit.
Hammer Bro uses a Yoshi puppet fighter and is fought on the Golden Plains stage's Battlefield form. During the battle, the Hammer Bro appears as a hostile Assist Trophy when Yoshi reaches high damage.
|38||Hammer Bro||★★||1||1547||6212||1022||4103||438||1758||Jump ↑||Super Mario Series|
Names in other languages
- The Hammer Bro trophy is the only Assist Trophy that can only be obtained by using a Trophy Stand on it, due to its appearance in The Subspace Emissary. It is also the only Assist Trophy to appear in The Subspace Emissary.
- Despite Hammer Bros (and their variants) having voices in various Mario spin-off games (provided by Motoki Takagi), they are completely mute in Smash as an Assist Trophy.
- Hammer Bro's artwork pose in New Super Mario Bros. U resembles its artwork pose in Brawl (albeit with its mouth closed).
|Enemies||Bacura · Banzai Bill · Bill Blaster · Bonkers · Boom Stomper · Bronto Burt · Bubble · Bulborb · Bullet Bill · Bumpety Bomb · Chain Chomp · Chandelure · Clubberskull · Cryogonal · Cucco · Daphne · Darknut · Devil Car · Eggrobo · Flage · Flame Chomp · Fly Guy · Gastly · Geemer · Generator · Ghost · Giant Goomba · Glice · Glire · Glunder · Goomba · Gordo · Hammer Bro · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kihunter · Koffing · Koopa Paratroopa · Koopa Troopa · Kritter · Lakitu and Spinies · Lethinium · Lurchthorn · Magikoopa · Mahva · Megonta · Metroid · Mettaur · Mimicutie · Mite · Monoeye · Nutski · Octorok · Orne · Parasol Waddle Dee · Peahat · Petilil · Plasma Wisp · Polar Bear · Pooka · Poppant · Reaper & Reapette · ReDead · Reo · Roturret · Shotzo · Shy Guy · Skuttler · Sneaky Spirit · Souflee · Spike Top · Starman · Stalfos · Tac · Tiki Buzz · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo · Zuree|