- For fighter info, see Isabelle (SSBU).
Official artwork of Isabelle from Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival.
|Debut||Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2012)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||SSB4|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020)|
|Console/platform of origin||Nintendo 3DS|
|Species||Dog (Shih Tzu)|
|Article on Nookipedia||Isabelle|
Isabelle (しずえ, Shizue) is a major character from the Animal Crossing series. Since her debut in Animal Crossing: New Leaf as the player's secretary, Isabelle's popularity has resulted in her becoming a mascot of the Animal Crossing series, much like Tom Nook and K.K. Slider.
After making cameos in Super Smash Bros. 4 as a trophy, an Assist Trophy, a Smash Tour item and a Mii Costume, Isabelle transitioned into a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Tortimer has retired from the position of mayor. Upon moving into the town, the player becomes the subsequent mayor, and Isabelle will begin assisting them as their secretary. Despite being slightly naive and occasionally scatterbrained, Isabelle is nevertheless eager and hardworking.
As the secretary, Isabelle aids the player in signing ordinances into law, making preparations for public works projects, and officiating various ceremonies. On numerous holidays throughout the year, Isabelle appears in the town plaza, giving out holiday-themed items to players who speak with her.
Due to her characterization, Isabelle gained a considerable amount of popularity, to the point that she quickly became a mascot of the Animal Crossing series alongside long-time fan favorites Tom Nook and K.K. Slider. In regard to promotional material, the Animal Crossing series' official Twitter account is portrayed as Isabelle's personal account; however, Tom Nook substituted for her for a few months to promote Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Isabelle's popularity also resulted in her debuting as a playable character, albeit outside of her home series, in Mario Kart 8 via the Animal Crossing × Mario Kart 8 downloadable content pack.
In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Isabelle is Tom Nook's assistant for Nook Inc. Unlike in New Leaf, the player must meet certain requirements in order for her to appear. Specifically, the player must help Timmy and Tommy establish a Nook's Cranny, invite three villagers to reside on their deserted island, and then complete a number of tasks issued by Tom Nook in order to make the island properly hospitable for the three invited villagers.
Upon meeting these criteria, Tom Nook will announce that Resident Services would undergo reconstruction. The day after construction is completed, Isabelle will join Nook during his daily island announcement, and proceeds to share the role of conducting civic duties with him at the renovated Resident Services. Isabelle maintains her service in evaluating the town and its residents, whereas Nook handles infrastructural work. Isabelle can also reset any villager's clothing, catchphrase, and if Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise is installed their interior. Since version 2.0, Isabelle is also able to enact ordinances as done previously in New Leaf.
In Super Smash Bros. 4
Isabelle briefly appears in the game's first reveal trailer from E3 2013, where she is shown speaking with Rosie as Villager runs by. She also cameos in Villager's character poster.
As an Assist Trophy
Isabelle appears as an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. 4. When summoned, she will stay in place and toss healing fruit to whoever summoned her. While it is possible for opponents to intercept the fruit, only the summoner has the advantage of only having to touch the fruit to heal; opponents will have to actively grab them with the shield or attack buttons.
Isabelle cannot be attacked, though she will flinch if opponents get close. If the summoner is KO'd while she is still active, Isabelle will hunch over with a dismayed expression until the summoner returns. Conversely, she will cheer if the summoner scores a KO.
In Smash Tour
Isabelle also appears as an item in Smash Tour. When selected, all stat-boosting items near the player grow to their maximum size.
As a costume
Isabelle is the basis for a paid downloadable Mii Costume. Although the Isabelle Hat can be worn by any type of Mii Fighter, only Mii Gunners can wear the Isabelle Outfit. While worn, the Mii Gunner uses a Party Popper instead of their standard arm cannon.
Isabelle's standard trophy can be obtained in both versions of Super Smash Bros. 4, and in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U it is part of the Animal Crossing: New Leaf Trophy Box. However, the trophy of her wearing her winter attire is only available in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
- Isabelle is the mayor's highly capable secretary. She can be forgetful sometimes, but you can always count on her for information about the town. She wears her hair up in a bun that makes her look like a shih tzu. Mostly because she is one! She also has a twin brother named Digby.
- Isabelle's the mayor's secretary, and you couldn't ask for someone more on the ball! Well...maybe you could, but she's still full of useful info about life in the town. With her fringe and tied-up hair, she looks just like a shih-tzu! That's because she is one. And so is her twin brother, Digby.
- : Animal Crossing: New Leaf (06/2013)
- Isabelle (Sweater)
- The green check she wears in warmer months suits her perfectly, but when the cold hits, her mustard-yellow cardigan is just too stylish for words. It may make you long for the spring months, though. Hot or cold—nothing makes Isabelle feel under the weather!
- The green chequered vest she wears in warmer months suits her to a T, but when the cold hits, her mustard-yellow cardie is just too stylish for words. That said, it might make you long for spring and all its vibrant beauty! Of course, Isabelle doesn't mind. Hot or cold, she's always a ray of sunshine!
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
As a playable character
Isabelle appears as a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. She was revealed during the Nintendo Direct on September 13th, 2018 alongside a teaser for the then-unnamed Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Although Isabelle shares several moves with Villager, such as Pocket, the overwhelming majority of her respective versions have minute aesthetic and/or mechanical differences, such as her version of Balloon Trip. When coupled with her other moves being unique to her, her slightly different physique and her somewhat different attributes, Isabelle functions as a semi-clone of Villager.
As a costume
The Isabelle Mii Costume reappears, albeit as unlockable content instead of downloadable content.
Isabelle's Miiverse reveal picture for her appearance in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Isabelle, alongside Diddy Kong and Yoshi in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
Isabelle as a Smash Tour item.
Isabelle making a cameo in Villager's reveal poster in Super Smash Bros. 4.
Isabelle as a Mii Costume.
Promotional artwork featuring Isabelle and Villager leaving town to participate in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Names in other languages
- Isabelle is the fourth summonable character to become playable in a later installment, following Charizard, Little Mac, and Dark Samus.
- Like Little Mac and Dark Samus, she was an Assist Trophy prior to gaining this distinction.
- Isabelle speaks in Animalese during her reveal trailer. As dialogue in Animalese is actually produced via an intentionally distorted text to speech synthesizer, her voiced dialogue is different across all versions of her reveal trailer, with each one matching the text boxes in each language.
- Due to debuting in November 2012, Isabelle is the newest Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. 4.
- Pears are the only fruit Isabelle throws to not be featured in her trophy in Super Smash Bros. 4.
- Isabelle and Villager are the only playable characters in the Super Smash Bros. series whose Japanese names are written entirely in hiragana, as opposed to katakana or kanji.
- ^ Isabelle (@animalcrossing) / Twitter
- ^ Animal Crossing's creators on new console versions, mobile connectivity and fatigue
- ^ Animal Crossing Devs Taking Questions via Twitter for GDC Panel
- ^ Animal Crossing Twitter Account Reclaimed By Isabelle
- ^ Wii U - Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 2 Preview
- ^ Nintendo Direct 9.13.2018
- ^ a b Sakurai Tells More Details About Smash Ultimate's Development
- ^ a b Sakurai Discusses Isabelle, Echoes, and Newcomers
|Red items||Back Shield · Black Knight · Bob-omb · Boo · Bunny Hood · Daisy (Baseball) · Darkrai · Dixie Kong · DK Barrel · Energy Tank · Franklin Badge · Hammer · Home-Run Bat · Kat & Ana · Latias & Latios · Magnus · Majora's Mask · Mecha-Fiora · Metal Box · Mr. Resetti · Mr. Saturn · Ore Club · Phosphora · Plasm Wraith · Poison Mushroom · Rocket Belt · Sidestepper · Steel Diver · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Ultimate Chimera · Wolfen · X Bomb|
|Blue items||Ashley · Boss Galaga · Bus to the City · Chain Chomp · Dillon · Doc Louis · Excitebike · Ghosts (Luigi's Mansion) · Great Fox · Isabelle · POW Block · Riki · Snorlax · Super Star · Tetra · Timmy & Tommy · Tingle · Yellow Wollywog · Zinger|
|Green items||Porky Minch · Proto Man · Substitute Doll|
|Random events||Banzai Bill · Flying Man · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kamek · Koffing · Metal Face · Metroid · Nabbit · Reaper · Ridley · Souflee · Tac · Yellow Devil|
|Character Inspirations for Mii Fighter Costumes in Super Smash Bros. 4|
|Mii Brawler||Akira · Captain Falcon · Flying Man · Heihachi · Jacky · King K. Rool · Knuckles · Toad|
|Mii Swordfighter||Ashley · Black Knight · Chrom · Dunban · Gil · Link · Lloyd · Monster Hunter · Takamaru · Viridi · Zero|
|Mii Gunner||Fox · Geno · Inkling · Isabelle · K.K. Slider · MegaMan.EXE · Proto Man · Samus · Tails · X|
|Headgear only||Barbara · Chain Chomp · Chocobo · Daisy · Inkling Squid · Luigi · Majora's Mask · Mario · Meta Knight · Peach · Red Shell · Sheik · Shy Guy · Spiny · Super Mushroom · Waluigi · Wario · Zelda|
|Animal Crossing universe|
|Fighters||Villager (SSB4 · SSBU) · Isabelle (SSBU)|
|Assist Trophies||Mr. Resetti · Isabelle · Kapp'n|
|Stages||Smashville · Tortimer Island · Town and City|
|Items||Pitfall · Beehive|
|Other||K.K. Slider · Lloid · Timmy & Tommy · Tom Nook|
|Trophies, Stickers and Spirits||Trophies (SSBB · SSB4) · Stickers · Spirits|
|Music||Brawl · SSB4 · Ultimate|