Knuckles the Echidna
|Knuckles the Echidna|
Official artwork of Knuckles from Sonic Frontiers.
|Universe||Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Debut||Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||Brawl|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Sonic Frontiers (2022)|
|Console/platform of origin||Sega Genesis|
|Place of origin||Angel Island|
|Designed by||Takashi Yuda|
|English voice actor||Travis Willingham|
|Japanese voice actor||Nobutoshi Canna|
|French voice actor||Sébastien Desjours|
|German voice actor||Claus-Peter Damitz|
|Spanish voice actor||Sergio Mesa|
|Italian voice actor||Maurizio Merluzzo|
|Article on Wikipedia||Knuckles the Echidna|
Knuckles the Echidna (ナックルズ・ザ・エキドゥナ, Knuckles the Echidna) is a character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
Knuckles first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and is one of the main characters of the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is aptly named for both his spiked gloves and immense physical power, only rivaled by Sonic's supersonic speed. He lives alone on Angel Island, the location of an ancient and powerful jewel known as the Master Emerald, which is said to be able to control the power of all seven Chaos Emeralds. Since birth, he has been tasked with guarding the Emerald from potential intruders. He is serious and headstrong, but due to his isolation, very gullible and easy to manipulate. On multiple occasions, Knuckles was tricked by Dr. Eggman into thinking that Sonic was attempting to steal the Master Emerald. Due to this, along with their conflicting personalities, he sometimes clashed with Sonic as a rival. However, upon realizing his mistake, he assisted Sonic in defeating Eggman, and has since become a close ally.
In Ultimate, Knuckles has three abilities as an Assist Trophy. The first is digging into the ground like a drill and then uppercutting back up. Knuckles's ability to dig into surfaces first originated in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2; however, in both games he could only dig if he had the Level Up Item Shovel Claw. He could also dig into the ground and then uppercut in Sonic Battle. It was not until Sonic Generations that he could dig without the Shovel Claw. The uppercut resembles the Spiral Upper, an ability Knuckles first learned in Sonic Adventure 2, though he does not necessarily need to dig into the ground first before performing it in his own games.
His second ability is the Homing Attack, which also made its debut in Sonic Adventure as a move only Sonic could perform. Knuckles was first able to use it in Sonic Heroes, though he could only perform it when following Sonic. He could first use it on his own in Sonic Advance 3. His third ability is simply punching the opponent with his fists. Knuckles is often associated with punching in many Sonic games and often has the ability to punch enemies as a part of his moveset in his playable appearances in Sonic games, more specifically the previously mentioned Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 as well as in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). He is also seen punching, specifically shadowboxing, during his idle animation in Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Blast, and Sonic Mania. His punch-punch-uppercut combo closely resembles a combo he could perform in Sonic the Fighters.
As a background character
- A powerful red echidna also known by his full name, Knuckles The Echidna. Knuckles resides on Angel Island, where he guards the Master Emerald. Both friend and rival of Sonic, Knuckles is a martial-arts expert who can break through rocks with his spiked fists. In addition, he can climb walls and use the wind to glide through the air.
- A powerful red echidna also known by his full name, Knuckles the Echidna. Knuckles resides on Angel Island, where he guards the Master Emerald. Both friend and rival of Sonic, Knuckles is a martial-arts expert who can break through rocks with his spiked fists. In addition, he can climb walls and use the wind to glide through the air.
- SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3
- SONIC & KNUCKLES
|Knuckles The Echidna||Sonic the Hedgehog 3||Resistance +23|
Knuckles The Echidna
(Sonic The Hedgehog 3)
As a background character
Knuckles reappears as a background character in Green Hill Zone in the 3DS version.
As a costume
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Knuckles the Echidna is the dedicated guardian of the Master Emerald, rarely leaving his post on the floating Angel Island. His serious, one-track-minded approach puts him at odds with his rival, Sonic, but the two somehow manage to be friends all the same.
- Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (02/1994)
- Sonic & Knuckles (10/1994)
As an Assist Trophy
|“||Knuckles attacks nearby fighters with his fist. He can also dig into the ground and then attack with an uppercut, so be careful!||”|
|—Super Smash Blog, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Official Site|
Knuckles appears in Ultimate as an Assist Trophy. He attacks opponents with Homing Attack, and also digs into the ground and then uses an uppercut to attack. He may also simply punch opponents with his fists. He is also able to be KO'd. He cannot be summoned on Brinstar Depths, Castle Siege, Corneria, Green Hill Zone, Pilotwings, Spirit Train, and Venom.
Like Shadow, all of Knuckles's non-Japanese voice clips are reused from Sonic Generations. Unlike Shadow and Sonic, this extends to Japanese due to being a new Assist Trophy.
As a background character
Knuckles also once again appears as a background element of Green Hill Zone. Because of this appearance, his Assist Trophy will not appear when playing on the stage.
As a costume
The Knuckles Mii Brawler costume from the previous game was not in the base game, but was rereleased as DLC on April 17th, 2019. The costume features a slight redesign: its gloves now have fingers, a possible reference to Sonic Boom.
In the trailer, a Mii with the costume is seen headbutting the ground, a possible nod to his digging ability or one of the moves he can perform on a grounded opponent in Sonic the Fighters. He is later seen following Tails and Sonic to a Spring on Mario Circuit, possibly referencing both Sonic Heroes and Team Sonic Racing, a then announced game releasing the month after.
|781||Knuckles||★★★||2||2778||8360||1443||4341||1229||3698||Fist Attack ↑||Sonic The Hedgehog Series|
Knuckles mid-air on the Umbra Clock Tower.
Names in other languages
- The picture of Knuckles with Sonic on Palutena's Temple on the Ultimate website is likely referencing the Sky Sanctuary from Sonic & Knuckles, of which Knuckles is often associated with. The Sky Sanctuary is also where Sonic saved Knuckles in Sonic Generations.
- The picture of Knuckles on Umbra Clock Tower might also be a reference to the Sonic Adventure 2 level Pumpkin Hill, a similarly somber location that also has a clock tower section, being one of Knuckles' most recognizable levels from that game.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the final game where Travis Willingham voices Knuckles, as he was replaced by Dave Mitchell starting in 2019's Team Sonic Racing.
- Willingham also provides the voice of another third-party Assist Trophy, Guile.
|Character Inspirations for Mii Fighter Costumes in Super Smash Bros. 4|
|Mii Brawler||Akira · Captain Falcon · Flying Man · Heihachi · Jacky · King K. Rool · Knuckles · Toad|
|Mii Swordfighter||Ashley · Black Knight · Chrom · Dunban · Gil · Link · Lloyd · Monster Hunter · Takamaru · Viridi · Zero|
|Mii Gunner||Fox · Geno · Inkling · Isabelle · K.K. Slider · MegaMan.EXE · Proto Man · Samus · Tails · X|
|Headgear only||Barbara · Chain Chomp · Chocobo · Daisy · Inkling Squid · Luigi · Majora's Mask · Mario · Meta Knight · Peach · Red Shell · Sheik · Shy Guy · Spiny · Super Mushroom · Waluigi · Wario · Zelda|
|Sonic the Hedgehog universe|
|Fighter||Sonic (SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU)|
|Assist Trophies||Shadow · Knuckles|
|Stages||Green Hill Zone · Windy Hill Zone|
|Trophies, Stickers and Spirits||Trophies (SSBB · SSB4) · Stickers · Spirits|
|Music||Brawl · SSB4 · Ultimate|