Lakitu & Spinies
|Lakitu & Spinies|
Lakitu throwing a Spiny in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
|Debut||Super Mario Bros. (1985)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||SSB|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Mario Party Superstars (2021, Lakitu)|
Game & Watch: The Legend of Zelda (2021, Spiny only, as Spiked Beetle)
|Console/platform of origin||Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Place of origin||Mushroom Kingdom|
|Articles on Super Mario Wiki||Lakitu|
Lakitu and Spinies made their debut appearance in Super Mario Bros. as a common enemy, and has become a common enemy in later Mario games. Along with the Goombas and Koopa Troopas, the Lakitu and Spinies are some of the most recognizable enemies of the Mario series. The Lakitu is a green-shelled Koopa wearing thick goggles who rides around in a smiling cloud. The Spinies are quadrupedal spike-shelled Koopas that feature glaring eyes.
Lakitus are known for flying over the player and attacks by throwing Spiny eggs, which turn into Spinies upon touching the ground. The Spinies are among the few enemies that cannot be defeated by jumping on them, as their sharp spikes hurt the player on contact. Lakitus are a dangerous enemy who flies near the top of the screen and is often out of reach, but Lakitus can be defeated by jumping on them. In later games, a defeated Lakitu would leave behind their Lakitu Cloud, which allows the player to ride it for a short period of time.
In the Mario Kart series, a Lakitu plays various roles, such as serving as the referee, informing drivers when they are going the wrong way, and fishing them back onto the track if they spin out or fall off the course for any reason. A Lakitu makes a playable appearance in Mario Kart 7 and several appear as the production crew for Mario Kart TV in Mario Kart 8. In Super Mario 64, a Lakitu is constantly behind Mario holding a camera from a pole. Before Mario enters the castle for the first time, the Lakitu explains how the camera controls work. This was done to give new players a frame of reference to better understand how to control the camera, which was a new feature at the time. The Lakitu can even be seen behind Mario in rooms that have mirrors.
As a background character
As a background character
- These airborne menaces used to ride their clouds exclusively as Bowser's henchmen. They typically hover just out of Mario's reach and hurl Spinies with irritating precision. More recently, however, they've been known to take on less evil tasks, such as doing camera work for sports events and even helping Mario on his quests.
- Super Mario Bros. (10/85)
As an Assist Trophy
Lakitu & Spinies debuts as Assist Trophies in their 8-bit forms.
When summoned, Lakitu throws down Spiny eggs from the sky. If the opponent is hit by a Spiny while airborne, they will be meteor smashed. Lakitu can be KO'd, which will prevent any additional Spinies from appearing; however, this can be difficult, since reaching the Lakitu and hitting him correctly can prove to be difficult. If the opponent attacks Lakitu while holding a Spiny egg, it can damage the opponent upon if the egg strikes them.
The Spiny eggs turn into Spinies upon making contact with the ground and wander around the stage. The Spinies cannot be defeated and they damage the players upon contact, but their slow movements are easy to avoid. If Lakitu is KO'd, the Spinies will still remain on-screen until they all fall off the stage or automatically disappear. Despite being invulnerable, the Spinies have hitboxes. This is likely so that Lakitu can use a Spiny as a shield to avoid taking a hit from a character.
When Lakitu is defeated, he'll fall while upside down. A glitch however, can cause Lakitu to be stuck in midair when defeated for a short period of time until they automatically disappear.
- Lakitu & Spinies
- A particularly stubborn breed of Koopa. Lakitus chase Mario aboard clouds and attack by throwing Spiny Eggs down from above. More recently, Lakitus have taken over the role of cameramen, filming with cameras that they dangle from long rods. Spinies are Koopa creatures with tough, spiked shells. Jumping onto them has no effect, but fireballs can dispatch them.
- A particularly stubborn breed of Koopa. Lakitus chase Mario aboard clouds and attack by throwing Spiny Eggs down from above. More recently, Lakitus have taken over the role of cameramen, filming with cameras that they dangle from long rods. Spinies are Koopa creatures with tough, spiked shells. Jumping onto them has no effect on them, but fireballs can dispatch them.
- : Super Mario Bros.
- : Super Mario 64
|Lakitu||Mario Kart: Super Circuit||Attack +13|
|Lakitu||New Super Mario Bros.||Attack +6|
|Spiny||New Super Mario Bros.||Attack +9|
(Mario Kart: Super Circuit)
(New Super Mario Bros.)
(New Super Mario Bros.)
As an Assist trophy
The Lakitu and Spinies in their 8-bit forms return as an Assist Trophy, reprising their behavior from Brawl.
Lakitu appears as an enemy, using his modern appearance instead of his 8-bit form. Lakitus ride around their Lakitu Cloud and attacks by throwing Spiny eggs which turn into Spinies upon touching the ground. Damaging a Lakitu enough will knock him down from his cloud, although he will regain it if it is not defeated. Lakitu will fly away if it is left alone for long enough. The Spinies do not drop any powerup when defeated.
The Lakitu & Spinies trophy is available in both versions, and in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U it is part of the Bowser's Minions Trophy Box. The other trophies are exclusives to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
- Lakitu & Spinies
- Flying over the battlefield in a cloud, this member of Bowser's forces persistently chases after Mario. He takes a break from throwing Spiny Eggs to do some racing in Mario Kart 7. When summoned, he'll appear as a sprite and toss Spiny Eggs at those fighting below him.
- : Super Mario Bros. (10/1985)
- : New Super Mario Bros. U (11/2012)
- One of Bowser's minions. This cloud-riding turtle and general nuisance to Mario made his debut as a playable character in Mario Kart 7. In this game, you can summon a pixellated Lakitu who'll throw Spiny Eggs that will turn into Spinies – beasties with red, spiky shells – when they hit the ground.
- : Super Mario Bros. (05/1987)
- : New Super Mario Bros. U (11/2012)
- With his cute little specs and smiling cloud, it's hard not to love Lakitu...until he starts pelting you with Spiny Eggs. This meanie has been tormenting Mario since the very first Super Mario Bros. game, and his mode of attack is no different here. He'll try and hover out of reach, but only by taking him out can you keep the Spiny rain from falling.
- With his cute little specs and smiling cloud, it's hard not to love Lakitu...until he starts pelting you with Spiny Eggs. This blighter has been tormenting Mario since the very first Super Mario Bros. game, and his mode of attack is no different here. Although he loves to hover just out of reach, you'll want to take him out to stop those Spinies coming.
- Somebody needs to ask Lakitu just where he gets these spiky-shelled little critters... They start off as Spiny Eggs when he hurls them and then turn into Spinies when they land. They'll immediately head for any fighters in the area. Avoid them or take them out—your choice!
- Somebody needs to ask Lakitu just where he gets these spiky-shelled little critters... They start off as Spiny Eggs when he hurls them, then turn into the Spinies we know and..."love" when they land, immediately heading for any fighters in the area! Try dodging just before those spikes touch you, and then move in to attack!
- Lakitu + Cloud 9
- This cloud kart is basically the bottom half of Lakitu. With its fluffy design and zippy style, Cloud 9 seems like a good match for Yoshi, but can you imagine what it would look like for Wario to drive this? It might just be distracting enough to give you an advantage!
- This cloud kart is basically Lakitu's other half. As in, "bottom half". Being so fluffy, it would be a good fit for Yoshi, but can you imagine Wario driving it? That'd just be weird! Then again, maybe he'd use that to throw his opponents off their game... Yep, that Wario's a sneaky one!
Lakitu & Spiny appears as an Advanced-class primary spirit.
In Adventure Mode: World of Light, Lakitu & Spiny is presumably one of the countless spirits captured by Galeem during his takeover of the universe. After Galeem's defeat, Dharkon takes control of Galeem's spirits, including Lakitu & Spiny. Lakitu & Spiny's spirit is located in the Mysterious Dimension sub-dungeon of The Dark Realm. Prior to his battle, the player is quizzed on which spirit was a part of Bowser's army.
|39||Lakitu & Spiny||★★||3||1602||6434||817||3279||724||2908||Weight ↓||Super Mario Series|
Names in other languages
Fishin' Lakitu in the background of Yoshi's Island.
Official artwork of Spiny in New Super Mario Bros. 2.
- Lakitu and Spinies are one of five Assist Trophies to have appeared in Brawl and Smash 4, but are absent in Ultimate, the other four being Infantry and Tanks, Kat and Ana, Saki Amamiya, and Tingle.
|Enemies||Bacura · Banzai Bill · Bill Blaster · Bonkers · Boom Stomper · Bronto Burt · Bubble · Bulborb · Bullet Bill · Bumpety Bomb · Chain Chomp · Chandelure · Clubberskull · Cryogonal · Cucco · Daphne · Darknut · Devil Car · Eggrobo · Flage · Flame Chomp · Fly Guy · Gastly · Geemer · Generator · Ghost · Giant Goomba · Glice · Glire · Glunder · Goomba · Gordo · Hammer Bro · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kihunter · Koffing · Koopa Paratroopa · Koopa Troopa · Kritter · Lakitu and Spinies · Lethinium · Lurchthorn · Magikoopa · Mahva · Megonta · Metroid · Mettaur · Mimicutie · Mite · Monoeye · Nutski · Octorok · Orne · Parasol Waddle Dee · Peahat · Petilil · Plasma Wisp · Polar Bear · Pooka · Poppant · Reaper & Reapette · ReDead · Reo · Roturret · Shotzo · Shy Guy · Skuttler · Sneaky Spirit · Souflee · Spike Top · Starman · Stalfos · Tac · Tiki Buzz · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo · Zuree|
|Character Inspirations for Mii Fighter Costumes in Super Smash Bros. 4|
|Mii Brawler||Akira · Captain Falcon · Flying Man · Heihachi · Jacky · King K. Rool · Knuckles · Toad|
|Mii Swordfighter||Ashley · Black Knight · Chrom · Dunban · Gil · Link · Lloyd · Monster Hunter · Takamaru · Viridi · Zero|
|Mii Gunner||Fox · Geno · Inkling · Isabelle · K.K. Slider · MegaMan.EXE · Proto Man · Samus · Tails · X|
|Headgear only||Barbara · Chain Chomp · Chocobo · Daisy · Inkling Squid · Luigi · Majora's Mask · Mario · Meta Knight · Peach · Red Shell · Sheik · Shy Guy · Spiny · Super Mushroom · Waluigi · Wario · Zelda|