- For fighter info, see Steve (SSBU).
Isometric render of an Enderman from Minecraft.
|Debut||Minecraft (2011, update)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||Ultimate|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Minecraft Legends (2023)|
|Console/platform of origin||Microsoft Windows|
Apple Mac OS X
|Place of origin||The End|
|Created by||Markus Persson|
The Enderman (エンダーマン, Enderman) is a neutral mob found in Minecraft.
Named after the creepypasta character Slender Man, the Enderman first appeared in the 1.8 beta of Minecraft, and spawn within areas that have a light level of 0 (11 or less in The End). It teleports from place to place, often stealing blocks and setting them down elsewhere. It normally does not interfere with the player, but if the player attacks or makes eye contact, it will become hostile (indicated by unhinging its jaw and screaming). When hostile, it will attack once the player looks away, typically by teleporting behind them. It has a weakness to water (including rain), taking damage from it if touched. When killed, the player is rewarded with 5 EXP orbs, the block it was holding at the time of death, and it may drop an Ender Pearl.
Endermen are notable for being the only mob who can spawn in every dimension in the game, appearing in the Overworld, the Nether, and also their home dimension, The End. They are most common within The End, appearing in large numbers. Because they become hostile toward the player when locking eyes, Endermen are often assumed to be antagonistic, but this is not the case. An Enderman will never attack without provocation, and it will even defend itself against other mobs that attack it, including the Ender Dragon; this is why it is classified as a neutral mob.
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
As a playable character
In the October 1st, 2020 presentation, Enderman was revealed to be an alternate costume for Steve. Staying true to a standard Enderman's model, its limbs are much thinner than those of Steve, although they have been shortened drastically to fit Steve's general form factor. In the Minecraft series, an Enderman is around 50% taller than the player (around 2.9 blocks instead of 1.8), but its height was shortened in order to fit in the same hitbox as the other costumes. This makes it similar to the existing Enderman skin available to the player in the "Bedrock" edition of Minecraft.
A development issue Sakurai encountered with the Enderman was that it easily blended in with the dark backgrounds of stages. This resulted in Sakurai and the staff having to do various quizzes on where Enderman was located through the screenshots to ensure it was adequately visible.
As a background element
Endermen appear in the background of Minecraft World. Unlike their playable counterpart, they appear identical to their standard appearance. They appear during nighttime alongside other monsters, scaring away Villagers, carrying blocks around, and occasionally teleporting about, and remain until the sun rises, when they retreat from the stage.
The Enderman also appears as an Ace-class primary spirit in the Minecraft DLC Spirit Board. Enderman is one of the only character-swapping alternate costumes that lacks a fighter spirit, instead appearing solely as a primary spirit. It shares this trait with Zombie.
The Enderman uses an army of Steve puppet fighters in the Enderman alternate costume and is fought on the Minecraft World stage's nighttime layout. During the battle, Abra will emerge from Poké Balls and the Enderman Team will have increased move speed, referencing the Enderman's ability to teleport and increase their speed while hostile towards the player. Also, the POW Block item appears, referencing the Enderman's ability to carry blocks.
|1,434||Enderman||★★★||2||3384||10156||1849||5548||1285||3856||Water Weakness||Minecraft Series|
An Enderman as it appears in the background of Minecraft World.
Names in other languages
|Chinese (Simplified)||末影人, Enderman|
|Chinese (Traditional)||終界使者, Enderman|
- Enderman and the Koopalings are the only playable characters to receive significant alterations to their canonical body proportions in order to work as alternate costumes to another character.
- Enderman (alongside Zombie) is the second common enemy to become playable in Smash, after Piranha Plant; they are also the first third-party fighters to not be primary playable characters in their home series. However, both Zombie and Enderman are alternate costumes for Steve, unlike Piranha Plant who is a unique fighter.
- Although they are able to do so in Smash due to being alternate costumes for Steve, Endermen and Zombies are never seen eating food or crafting within Minecraft itself.
- In Minecraft, Endermen take damage when in contact with water, and constantly avoid it. However, unlike other characters who have a similar case of hydrophobia in their home series, the Enderman does not take damage while swimming in Smash. This is due to it being an alternate costume of Steve, who has no such hydrophobia. The hydrophobia is still referenced in other ways, however; the Steve reveal trailer shows an Enderman standing under a leaf on Distant Planet during the rainstorm, and the Enderman primary spirit is weak to water.
- ^ Conditt, Jessica (July 29, 2012). Notch: Minecraft occupies a genderless world, even for that guy. Engadget. Retrieved on October 1, 2020.
- ^ Quenlin, Rian (2011-07-26). Notch reveals new mob, dubs them Endermen in reference to Slender Man.. IGXPro. Retrieved on 2020-10-16.
- ^ https://twitter.com/KodyNOKOLO/status/1455935774088704000
- Article on the Minecraft Wiki.
|Fighters||Steve (SSBU) (Alex, Zombie, Enderman)|
|Other||Creeper · Pig|