Official artwork of a Bulborb from Pikmin 3.
|Smash Bros. appearances||Brawl|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Pikmin 4 (2023)|
|Console/platform of origin||Nintendo GameCube|
|Place of origin||PNF-404|
|Article on Pikipedia||Bulborb|
Bulborbs, also known as Red Bulborbs (アカチャッピー, Red Chappy), are enemies from the Pikmin series.
Bulborbs appear in all Pikmin games, and are one of the Pikmin's most common predators. They populate the Distant Planet, and are found in almost every area at dusk and day. They attack Pikmin by devouring them. They can be killed with large amounts of Pikmin attacking them from behind and their dead bodies can be brought to the onions to produce more Pikmin. There are many species related to the Bulborb, including Bulblaxes, Bulbears, and Water Dumples.
In the original Pikmin game, the Bulborb species is known as Spotty Bulborb; in Pikmin 2, it is known as Red Bulborb, which is a name occasionally used in the Smash series. Pikmin 3 and Hey! Pikmin simply refer to it as Bulborb.
As a stage element
A Red Bulborb can appear on the right side of the Distant Planet stage. It stands in place, looking around and acting as an extra platform. However, standing on it is very dangerous, as it may chomp down on any lingering players and carry them off screen, resulting in a one-hit KO. The Bulborb occasionally opens its wide mouth, similarly quickly eating and one-hit KOing any character who lands in it.
Another Red Bulborb can be seen sleeping in the stage's background. It does not interact with the fighters and is only an aesthetic element.
As a Final Smash element
In Olimar's Final Smash, End of Day, dusk will fall and Olimar will enter his ship to escape the predators of the planet. When Olimar leaves the stage, Red Bulborbs will constantly attack the players that remain on the field.
- Red Bulborb
- A creature whose Japanese name translates as "spotted crimson bug-eye." These bulky nocturnal animals have white-and-red-flecked rumps that resemble strawberries. Red bulborbs sleep in the day and wake in the evening to feed on small animals. Several colors of bulborb subspecies have been discovered--their classification is a hot subject for scholars.
- A creature whose Japanese name translates as "spotted crimson bug-eye". These bulky nocturnal animals have white-and-red-flecked rumps that resemble strawberries. Red bulborbs sleep in the day and wake in the evening to feed on small animals. Several colors of bulborb subspecies have been discovered--their classification is a hot subject for scholars.
- : Pikmin 2
|Bulborb||Pikmin 2||Attack +34|
In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the Bulborb's model is updated to resemble its more detailed physical appearance in Pikmin 3. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS retains the more simplistic Pikmin design for the Bulborb's appearances in Distant Planet and Smash Run.
The Bulborb keeps its Brawl roles in Distant Planet and End of Day. A Bulborb can also appear on the left side of Garden of Hope, and while it does not interact with the fighters directly, its presence stops Pikmin from arriving to rebuild any broken structures until it leaves.
The Bulborb appears as a powerful enemy. It is much smaller than in Distant Planet, now being about the correct size compared to Olimar. Like all strong enemies it has knockback resistance, can appear as a target enemy, and drops several powerups when defeated. Its attacks include:
- running forward to stomp the player
- biting repeatedly
- jumping backwards, rump-first, dealing strong knockback when directly behind it or dealing a weak meteor on the top of the hit.
- leaping into the air and snapping
- These creatures from the Pikmin series have snail-like protruding eyes, huge mouths, and really bad tempers. They're known for snapping at fighters and trying to trample them underfoot. If you see one in a group of enemies, you should try to take it out fast—it'll shoot off and bounce around, hitting other enemies as it goes!
- These creatures from the Pikmin series have snaillike protruding eyes, huge mouths, and really bad tempers. Despite their cute appearance, they'll happily gobble up Pikmin! In Smash Bros., they appear on the Garden of Hope stage, wandering around or chasing the poor Pikmin. Thankfully, they don't seem interested in the fighters duking it out.
- : Pikmin (12/2001)
- : Pikmin 2 (08/2004)
- These creatures from the Pikmin series have snail-like protruding eyes, huge mouths and really bad tempers. They're known for snapping at fighters and trying to trample them underfoot. If you see one in a group of enemies, you should try to take it out first – it'll shoot off and bounce around, hitting other enemies as it goes!
- With their spotted backs and big round eyes, Bulborbs are almost cute. But don't be fooled! They have a voracious appetite, and will gladly eat as many Pikmin as they can get their tongues on. In this game, you might spot one in the Garden of Hope stage, getting in the Pikmin's way. Luckily, the Bulborbs won't bother you. Phew!
- : Pikmin (06/2002)
- : Pikmin 2 (10/2004)
The Bulborb returns as part of Olimar's Final Smash, as well as on the Distant Planet and Garden of Hope stages. All models now consistently use the Pikmin 3 design.
As a hazard on Distant Planet, the Red Bulborb no longer carries fighters off the screen in its mouth; instead, its bite causes an instant KO to fighters who get too close. The Bulborb in the background of Distant Planet is now fully-animated instead of a still image, and it can be seen walking around the grassy terrain instead of merely sleeping.
|812||Emperor Bulblax||★★★||2||Ice-Floor Immunity||Pikmin Series|
- Bulborb's trophy in Brawl claims the creature first appeared in Pikmin 2. This is incorrect, as the Bulborb is in both Pikmin games. The reason for this may be that in Pikmin, their real name is "Spotty Bulborb", whereas in the sequel, they're known as "Red Bulborbs".
The Bulborb appearing on the Distant Planet stage in Ultimate.
Names in other languages
|Enemies||Bacura · Banzai Bill · Bill Blaster · Bonkers · Boom Stomper · Bronto Burt · Bubble · Bulborb · Bullet Bill · Bumpety Bomb · Chain Chomp · Chandelure · Clubberskull · Cryogonal · Cucco · Daphne · Darknut · Devil Car · Eggrobo · Flage · Flame Chomp · Fly Guy · Gastly · Geemer · Generator · Ghost · Giant Goomba · Glice · Glire · Glunder · Goomba · Gordo · Hammer Bro · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kihunter · Koffing · Koopa Paratroopa · Koopa Troopa · Kritter · Lakitu and Spinies · Lethinium · Lurchthorn · Magikoopa · Mahva · Megonta · Metroid · Mettaur · Mimicutie · Mite · Monoeye · Nutski · Octorok · Orne · Parasol Waddle Dee · Peahat · Petilil · Plasma Wisp · Polar Bear · Pooka · Poppant · Reaper & Reapette · ReDead · Reo · Roturret · Shotzo · Shy Guy · Skuttler · Sneaky Spirit · Souflee · Spike Top · Starman · Stalfos · Tac · Tiki Buzz · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo · Zuree|
|Fighter||Olimar (SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU) (Pikmin) (Alph)|
|Assist Trophy||Burrowing Snagret|
|Stages||Distant Planet · Garden of Hope|
|Enemies||Bulborb · Iridescent Glint Beetle|
|Other||Hocotate Ship · Peckish Aristocrab · Pellet · Plasm Wraith · Yellow Wollywog|
|Trophies, Stickers and Spirits||Trophies (SSBB · SSB4) · Stickers · Spirits|
|Music||Brawl · SSB4 · Ultimate|