Morgana's official artwork from Persona 5
|Debut||Persona 5 (2016)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||Ultimate|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Fullmetal Alchemist Mobile (2022, via update)|
|Console/platform of origin||PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4|
|Designed by||Shigenori Soejima|
|English voice actor||Cassandra Lee Morris|
|Japanese voice actor||Ikue Ōtani|
Morgana makes his debut in Persona 5. Morgana is a strange catlike being who Joker and Ryuji meet when they first enter Kamoshida's Palace. After escaping with Joker awakened to his Persona, the two find Morgana locked up in a cell, who convinces the two to free them in order to flee from the palace for the first time. From then on, Morgana teaches Joker and Ryuji about how to use Personas and the practice of becoming a Phantom Thief. After defeating Kamoshida, Morgana introduces the Phantom Thieves to Mementos, and asks them to help him explore it, as he believes the secrets to his past are locked away in its depths. Despite his feline appearance (becoming an actual cat outside the Metaverse), Morgana emphatically insists that he is not a cat, but a human. He has an unrequited crush on Ann, whom he calls "Lady Ann," believing it to be chivalrous. Morgana's Persona is Zorro, based on the pulp fiction swordsman of the same name, who uses wind-based attacks, has access to a wide variety of healing spells and act as a temporary navigator. Morgana is also able to transform into a bus which he calls the "Morganamobile". His explanation for this is that "for some reason, cats turning into buses is an extremely widespread cognition among the general public."
After the team confronts the Holy Grail and loses, they awaken in the Velvet Room. Morgana reveals that his memories have returned and that he was born in the Velvet Room, created by Igor from the hopes of humanity in order to guide the Trickster so that they would have a chance of defeating Yaldabaoth. When Yaldabaoth is defeated, Morgana vanishes, but later returns to the group in his cat form, either after Joker is released from prison, or the day after should the player meet the requirements of the third semester in Persona 5 Royal.
When Takuto Maruki creates a new reality in Persona 5 Royal, Morgana briefly attains the form of a human, his appearance based on a celebrity he saw on television that he wished to look like. Morgana is later confronted by Joker and after some time, realizes this is not his reality and snaps out of the illusion, turning back into a cat as a result. In spite of becoming a cat again, he appears to be more comfortable with his appearance, choosing to fight and take back reality.
His codename as a Phantom Thief is Mona.
As a background character
Morgana appears in his bus form, dropping off the Phantom Thieves at Mementos. He also appears on the screen of one of the platforms.
As a moveset element
- Up taunt: Morgana pumps his paw while saying "Looking cool, Joker!" before posing akimbo.
- Side taunt: Morgana poses akimbo and playfully laughs while showing starry eyes.
- Down taunt: Morgana goes "He-hey!" while bouncing on the spot, before crossing his arms.
- Left: Morgana happily bounces around Joker.
- Up: Morgana, transformed as the Morganamobile, drives up next to Joker, picks him up, and drives towards the left.
- Right: Morgana turns dramatically toward the screen, which ends up hitting him in the face.
In All-Out Attack, Morgana appears in one of the variations of the attack, fighting alongside Ann Takamaki and Ryuji Sakamoto. In the other variation of the Final Smash, he will take Futaba's role and say any of the following lines:
Time for some brutality!
It's too late for apologies!
Quiver in fear!
As a costume
During the reveal trailer, the Mii Gunner representing Morgana is first seen in the Mementos stage, the place where Morgana was created. The Mii Gunner is next seen battling Palutena on the Temple stage, referencing one of the Palaces in Persona 5. The Mii Gunner is next seen on the Living Room stage, referencing the attic of Café Leblanc where Morgana and Joker bunk, while the Mii Gunner is taken away by Kapp'n's bus, referencing how Morgana takes the form of the Morganamobile while in Mementos. The ending image features the Mii Gunner running on the Mushroomy Kingdom stage, referencing the desert theme of Futaba Sakura's Palace.
Morgana also appears as an Ace-class primary spirit and is featured on the Phantom Thieves of Hearts spirit in the Persona DLC Spirit Board.
Morgana is fought along a Giant Incineroar puppet fighter representing Morgana's Persona, Zorro. During the battle, Incineroar starts off with an Ore Club and high winds are in effect, referencing Zorro's wind-based attacks. Also, Pikachu starts off with a Killing Edge, referencing Morgana's sword weapon.
During the Phantom Thieves of Hearts spirit battle, Morgana is the first Phantom Thief to defeat before fighting Joker. During the battle, the Pikachu puppet fighter starts off with an Ore Club, further referencing Zorro's wind-based attacks.
|1,309||Morgana||★★★||3||3048||9146||1496||4490||1275||3825||Sword Attack ↑||Persona Series|
|1,306||Phantom Thieves of Hearts||★★★★||1||Item Autograb||Persona Series|
Names in other languages
|Chinese (Simplified)||摩尔加纳, Morgana|
|Chinese (Traditional)||摩爾加納, Morgana|
- Morgana, Mr. Saturn, and Slime are the only non-playable characters to appear in Ultimate's panoramic character artwork.
- Morgana has the same Japanese voice actress as Pikachu. This is also pointed out in Persona 5 itself, as Morgana makes noises similar to Pikachu when he is turned into a rat. Additionally, Pikachu represents Morgana in his Spirit Battle.
- A small clip in the Version 3.0 update showed Morgana appearing in a 5-player match on Kalos Pokémon League's Battlefield form, although this is not possible in-game in matches with more than four players.
- In Joker's victory poses, Morgana has four possible voice lines instead of three, one more than the other Phantom Thieves, including Joker himself.
- In Persona 5, during All-Out Attack, one of Morgana's voice clips says "Time for some bloodshed!", and was changed to "Time for some brutality!" in Ultimate.
|Fighter||Joker (SSBU) (Arsène)|
|Other||Ann Takamaki · Futaba Sakura · Haru Okumura · Makoto Niijima · Morgana · Protagonist (Persona 3) · Protagonist (Persona 4) · Ryuji Sakamoto · Teddie · Yusuke Kitagawa|