Official artwork of a Boo from Luigi's Mansion (3DS).
|Debut||Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||Melee|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Tetris 99 (2021, cameo via update)|
|Console/platform of origin||Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Place of origin||Mushroom Kingdom|
|Created by||Shigeru Miyamoto|
|Designed by||Shigeru Miyamoto|
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Boo|
Boos made their debut in Super Mario Bros. 3 as a common enemy, and has become a common enemy in later Mario games. They are white, spherical ghosts with short stubby arms and a short stubby tail. They have beady black eyes, a fanged mouth, and a large tongue they stick out occasionally.
Boos are known for appearing in Ghost Houses and other haunted levels in the Mario series. When the player is facing away, they will pursue the player and damage them on contact. When the player is facing them, they stop their pursuit, cover their bashful faces, and becomes intangible. In any case, they cannot be defeated under normal circumstances (e.g. jumping on them); however, they can be defeated by running into them under the effect of the Super Star or throwing a Grab Block at them. In later Mario games, they can disappear momentarily when hit by fireballs or Tanooki Mario's tail whips.
Boos have become a recurring item in the Mario Kart series. When used, it will turn the player temporary invisible while the Boo steals an item from another player. If there is no item to steal, however, it will return with a Super Mushroom.
Prominent members of the Boo species include King Boo, the king of the Boos and the main antagonist of the Luigi's Mansion series; and Lady Bow, a female Boo and one of Mario's party members in Paper Mario.
- These shy spirits inhabit Mario's world and have been known to vanish or freeze when met face-to-face. In recent years, they seem to have overcome their fears in order to pursue tennis and other social activities. They usually appear in groups and fly in formation. From time to time, giant Boos make surprise appearances.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (2/90)
As a background character
Boos appear as background characters in the Luigi's Mansion stage, only appearing briefly from the rubble of the mansion when part of it is destroyed.
- A bashful ghost who draws near when your back is turned but shyly stops and disappears when you face it. Boos have been seen recently in activities like baseball and tennis, so it's thought that they may have conquered their fear of humans. Boos are also characterized by having a variety of different weaknesses between forms.
- : Super Mario Bros. 3
- : Yoshi's Island DS
|Boo||Mario Tennis||Attack +14|
As a background character
In Smash Tour
Boo appears as a red trophy item. When used, it allows the fighter to start the battle invisible.
- Don't look so surprised—even some ghosts are shy! It's like a game of Red Light Green Light: your face means stop, and the back of your head means go. So be very careful if you turn your back. Boo also shows up in the Mario Kart series, making your kart invisible to other racers.
- : Super Mario Bros. 3 (02/1990)
- : Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (03/2013)
- Even ghosts can be shy, and these guys are so shy, they can't even attack you if you're watching! It's kind of like they're always playing a ghostly game of statues. Just don't turn your back on them and you'll be all right! That said, they make fine allies in the Mario Kart series, where they can turn you invisible for a while.
- : Super Mario Bros. 3 (08/1991)
- : Luigi's Mansion 2 (03/2013)
As a background character
Boo also appears as a Novice-class primary spirit.
In Adventure Mode: World of Light, Boo is presumably one of the countless spirits captured by Galeem during his takeover of the universe. After Galeem's defeat, Dharkon takes control of Galeem's spirits, including Boo. Boo's spirit is located in the Dracula's Castle sub-dungeon of The Dark Realm.
Boo's Spirit Battle uses a Kirby puppet fighter and is fought on the Mushroom Kingdom U stage's Slide Tower layout. During the battle, Kirby frequently shields and turns invisible, referencing how Boos cannot be defeated under normal circumstances and turns invisible when faced by the player.
|48||Boo||★||3||807||4035||343||1715||464||2320||Can Be Enhanced at Lv. 99||Super Mario Series|
Names in other languages
|Chinese (Simplified)||害羞幽灵, Hàixiū Yōulíng|
|Chinese (Traditional)||害羞幽靈, Hàixiū Yōulíng|
|Red items||Back Shield · Black Knight · Bob-omb · Boo · Bunny Hood · Daisy (Baseball) · Darkrai · Dixie Kong · DK Barrel · Energy Tank · Franklin Badge · Hammer · Home-Run Bat · Kat & Ana · Latias & Latios · Magnus · Majora's Mask · Mecha-Fiora · Metal Box · Mr. Resetti · Mr. Saturn · Ore Club · Phosphora · Plasm Wraith · Poison Mushroom · Rocket Belt · Sidestepper · Steel Diver · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Ultimate Chimera · Wolfen · X Bomb|
|Blue items||Ashley · Boss Galaga · Bus to the City · Chain Chomp · Dillon · Doc Louis · Excitebike · Ghosts (Luigi's Mansion) · Great Fox · Isabelle · POW Block · Riki · Snorlax · Super Star · Tetra · Timmy & Tommy · Tingle · Yellow Wollywog · Zinger|
|Green items||Porky Minch · Proto Man · Substitute Doll|
|Random events||Banzai Bill · Flying Man · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kamek · Koffing · Metal Face · Metroid · Nabbit · Reaper · Ridley · Souflee · Tac · Yellow Devil|