Artwork from New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe.
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Super Star|
|“||The character who grabs the Star becomes INVINCIBLE! ...but only for a short while.||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Bros. instruction booklet|
The Super Star made their made their debut in Super Mario Bros. and has become a recurring item in later Mario games. The Super Star allowed the player to become temporary invincible and easily defeat enemies simply by touching them, giving them a multicolored, sparkling appearance. It is also accompanied by a special musical theme that plays over the level's theme music.
The Super Star has become a recurring item in the Mario Kart series and serves as the logo for the Star Cup. When used, it allows the player to become temporarily invincible, increase their speed, and knock over any opponents they drive into.
Similar in appearance to the Super Star is the Power Star, a collectable object throughout the Mario series.
The Starman debuts as a duration and attachment item.
The Super Star bounces on the field and off platforms or walls in large arcs, and can fall off the stage if not grabbed in time, mimicking its behavior in the Mario games. The player's fighter will become invincible for ten seconds, but it doesn't damage the opponents when touched. Also, the player's fighter will be given a bright, sparkling appearance and is accompanied by the special music theme which completely replaces the stage music, causing it to reset after the Super Star's effect wears off. The music theme is given a slight remix.
The Starman returns as an item, reprising its behavior from Super Smash Bros..
Unlike in the previous game, the Starman's theme music lowers the stage music's volume to the point that it becomes extremely difficult to hear over the layered theme.
- This item makes you invulnerable to all attacks for a short period of time. The Starman bounces around and eventually tumbles out of the stage, but all you need to do is touch it to power up. It possessed similar powers in Super Mario Bros., except you could also harm enemies just by touching them while under its influence.
- Super Mario Bros. (10/85)
The Starman returns as an item, reprising its behavior from the previous games.
Unlike the previous games, the player's fighter who grabs the Starman is accompanied by the original theme music from Super Mario Bros.. Also, the player's fighter under the Starman's effect can be hit with the Team Healer.
- Super Star
- An erratically bouncing item that is hard to catch. If you can grab it, though, you'll be invulnerable to all attacks for a short time. In addition, no one will be able to grab or throw you, either. Make the effort to grab the Starman when it appears--watching your opponents turn and run from you makes it all worthwhile.
- An erratically bouncing item that is hard to catch. If you can grab it, though, you'll be invulnerable to all attacks for a short time. In addition, no one will be able to grab or throw you, either. Make the effort to grab the Super Star when it appears--watching your opponents turn and run from you makes it all worthwhile.
- : Super Mario Bros.
- : Super Mario World
|Starman||New Super Mario Bros.||Attack +6|
(New Super Mario Bros.)
The Super Star returns as an item, reprising its behavior from the previous games.
In Smash Tour
The Super Star appears as a blue trophy item. When used, it makes the player's fighter invincible and twice as fast.
The Super Star appears as a trophy in both versions.
- Super Star
- You may recognize these star-shaped items as they bounce across the stage. Picking one up will grant you a short period of invincibility. You can't wipe out enemies just by walking into them—like in Mario games—but you can still attack without fear. Your foes will be running scared!
- : Super Mario Bros. (10/1985)
- : Super Mario World (08/1991)
- You'll see one of these little stars bouncing along the stage from time to time. Touch it to become invincible! (Well, for a while, at least.) Unfortunately, they don't work exactly the same way as they do in the Mario series, so you won't damage anyone just by walking into them – you'll still need to put some effort in.
- : Super Mario Bros. (05/1987)
- : Super Mario World (04/1992)
The Super Star returns as an item, reprising its behavior from the previous games.
Super Star also appears as an Ace-class support spirit.
In Adventure Mode: World of Light, Super Star is presumably one of the countless spirits captured by Galeem during his takeover of the universe. The Super Star spirit is located in the eastern cloud area of The Light Realm and serves as the penultimate battle before battling Galeem.
Super Star's Spirit Battle uses a Rosalina & Luma puppet fighter and is fought on the Peach's Castle stage. During the battle, the Super Star appears as an item, while Rosalina & Luma becomes temporarily invincible when they reach high damage, referencing the invincibility effect of the Super Star. Also, all fighters become easy to launch, referencing the Super Star's ability to allow the player to easily defeat enemies by knocking them off-screen.
|20||Super Star||★★★||2||First-Strike Advantage||Super Mario Series|
The jingle that plays when the Starman is obtained in the original Super Mario Bros.
The remix of the Starman jingle used in Super Smash Bros. and Super Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Names in other languages
- Characters who have grabbed the Super Star can avoid the acid in Planet Zebes and Brinstar, or the lava on Norfair which will result in a self-destruct since fighters fall through it to the blast zone.
- In Brawl, if Snake obtains the Super Star and uses Grenade Launcher, the visual effect of the Super Star will still appear. This happens whenever he uses an item that gives a visual effect, like the Smoke Ball.
- Bulborbs on Distant Planet are still able to trap characters invincible from a Super Star, though they won't be KO'd.
- When the music would normally stop for a moment (i.e. a certain move or event such as KO Uppercut or Finishing Touch hitting somebody) when the Star is in effect, that doesn't happen.
- If a player touches a Super Star while grabbed by an opponent, they will stay grabbed for the normal duration, but will be immune to pummels, and will take no damage from throws. They still take full knockback from throws however.
- In Ultimate, the invincible theme doesn't loop correctly, as on every second repeat, the song audibly loops too early.
- In Ultimate, if a character is on their last stock in a Stamina Battle and is grabbed, becomes invincible from a Super Star while being grabbed, and then thrown with low enough HP that the throw would KO, they will trigger Special Zoom as if they were KO'd, but won't take any damage or be KO'd.
- The Super Star is one of three items that will change the music being played on the stage temporarily, the other two being the normal Hammer and the Golden Hammer. Incidentally, all three come from Mario and its sub-universes.
|Items in Super Smash Bros. (64)|
|Normal||Beam Sword · Bob-omb · Bumper · Fan · Fire Flower · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Maxim Tomato · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Red Shell · Star Rod · Starman|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Egg|
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Melee|
|Normal||Barrel Cannon · Beam Sword · Bob-omb · Bunny Hood · Cloaking Device · Fan · Fire Flower · Flipper · Food · Freezie · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Parasol · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Red Shell · Screw Attack · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Egg · Party Ball|
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Normal||Assist Trophy · Banana Peel · Beam Sword · Blast Box · Bob-omb · Bumper · Bunny Hood · Cracker Launcher · Deku Nut · Dragoon · Fan · Fire Flower · Food · Franklin Badge · Freezie · Golden Hammer · Gooey Bomb · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Hothead · Lightning Bolt · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Pitfall · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Screw Attack · Smart Bomb · Smash Ball · Smoke Ball · Soccer Ball · Spring · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Superspicy Curry · Team Healer · Timer · Unira · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Party Ball · Sandbag · Rolling Crates|
|Key · Stock Ball · Trophy Stand|
|Collectibles||CD · Coins · Sticker · Trophy|
|Other||Smash Coins and Bills|
|Red items||Back Shield · Black Knight · Bob-omb · Boo · Bunny Hood · Daisy (Baseball) · Darkrai · Dixie Kong · DK Barrel · Energy Tank · Franklin Badge · Hammer · Home-Run Bat · Kat & Ana · Latias & Latios · Magnus · Majora's Mask · Mecha-Fiora · Metal Box · Mr. Resetti · Mr. Saturn · Ore Club · Phosphora · Plasm Wraith · Poison Mushroom · Rocket Belt · Sidestepper · Steel Diver · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Ultimate Chimera · Wolfen · X Bomb|
|Blue items||Ashley · Boss Galaga · Bus to the City · Chain Chomp · Dillon · Doc Louis · Excitebike · Ghosts (Luigi's Mansion) · Great Fox · Isabelle · POW Block · Riki · Snorlax · Super Star · Tetra · Timmy & Tommy · Tingle · Yellow Wollywog · Zinger|
|Green items||Porky Minch · Proto Man · Substitute Doll|
|Random events||Banzai Bill · Flying Man · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kamek · Koffing · Metal Face · Metroid · Nabbit · Reaper · Ridley · Souflee · Tac · Yellow Devil|