Artwork of the Party Ball.
|Universe||Super Smash Bros.|
A Party Ball (くす玉, Kusudama) is a container item that appears in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. 4, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
It can be picked up and thrown or hit to be opened. When picked up, it can be thrown but as soon as it hits the ground, a character, or an attack, it floats up and makes a little jingle and then opens up to reveal its items inside. Like Crates and Barrels, while holding a party ball, a character's speed is drastically decreased, and they will not be able to jump or attack.
- Often contain many random items.
- May store an enemy (from Adventure Mode) in Melee.
- In Brawl, when it is thrown towards an enemy, the party ball will travel in a curve and home in on that enemy.
- Another way to open the party ball is to hit it. In Melee, party balls take about 30% damage to break open. In Brawl and Smash 4, one hit can set it off.
- Some of the item sets it can drop includes Food (36% chance), several Bob-ombs (12% chance), or just an assorted set of items (42%).
- It also has a 10% chance of exploding.
- In Smash 4, there is also a small chance that a Party Ball will not release any items.
- Once airborne, the Party Ball can be struck but will only cause hitlag and not affect the ball. However, certain attacks can push or pull it. Using Spitball Sparky (Mr. Game & Watch's up aerial) from a slight distance will blow it up and off the top of the screen, for example.
Note that an item will only appear in a Party Ball if that item can be used. Otherwise, for example, if only bombs are on, it will always have a bomb party. Likewise, if the Party Ball is the only item enabled, all they will do is explode.
Damage throughout the series
|Up tilt throw||16%||15%||19-24%|
|Up tilt throw explosion||38%||24%||45-50%|
|Down tilt throw||22%||N/A||N/A|
|Down tilt throw explosion||36%||N/A||N/A|
|Forward smash throw||20%||18%||17-22%|
|Explosion forward smash throw||41%||43%||43-48%|
|Up smash throw||17%||15%||22-27%|
|Up smash throw explosion||39%||39%||49-54%|
|Down smash throw||21%||N/A||N/A|
|Down smash throw explosion||49%||N/A||N/A|
|Air throw (DK)||17%||15%||15%|
|Air throw explosion (DK)||40%||39%||46%|
|Air up tilt throw (DK)||16%||15%||25%|
|Air up tilt throw explosion (DK)||38%||39%||51%|
|Air down tilt throw (DK)||21%||15%||15%|
|Air down tilt throw explosion (DK)||44%||39%||39%|
|Air forward smash throw (DK)||21%||17%||18-23%|
|Explosion air forward smash throw (DK)||42%||31%||43-49%|
|Air up smash throw (DK)||16%||15%||28%|
|Air up smash throw explosion (DK)||38%||39%||55%|
|Air down smash throw (DK)||26%||16%||16%|
|Air down smash throw explosion (DK)||44%||40%||40%|
While the Party Ball is original to the Smash series, it resembles a waritama (or confetti ball), a Japanese spherical decoration which, when triggered by a pull string (which is also present in the Party Ball and, despite its Brawl trophy hinting at it, cannot be interacted with in any way), can split in half and release confetti or balloons and is typically associated with ceremonies such as graduations. Functionally, the Party Ball also resembles a Piñata, which is typical of Latin America. Like the Party Ball, the Piñata is a paper object that is meant to be attacked until it breaks and the items contained inside (usually candy or toys) fall to the floor for party members to take.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Party Ball
- Party Balls are just what they sound like: a recipe for wild fun packed into a paper ball. Throw or strike one into the air, then wait for it to trigger its time-release. Parties are always unpredictable, so here are the odds on how zany your party might be:
- Self-destruction: 10%
- Food banquet: 36%
- Bob-omb fest: 12%
- Other: 42%
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (12/01)
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Party Ball
- A giant ball stuffed to bursting with items and food. Throw it or attack it, and after a few seconds, it will burst open with fanfare, spilling items all around. The fluttering confetti adds to the celebratory atmosphere. Some Party Balls are filled with nothing but bombs, though, so handle with care. Perhaps if you just pulled the string... Naw, that doesn't work.
- A giant ball stuffed to bursting with items and food. Throw it or attack it, and after a few seconds, it will burst open with fanfare, spilling items all around. The fluttering confetti adds to the celebratory atmosphere. Some Party Balls are filled with nothing but bombs though, so handle with care. Perhaps if you just pulled the string... Naw, that doesn't work.
- : Super Smash Bros. Melee
- : Super Smash Bros. Brawl
In Super Smash Bros. 4
- Party Ball
- A celebratory ball, filled with irresistible treasures just begging to be released. Once thrown, it floats into the air and releases its prizes. It could be a variety of awesome items, but you should be careful—sometimes the Party Ball is stuffed full of Bob-ombs! How rude!
- : Super Smash Bros. Melee (12/2001)
- : Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- These balls are just bursting with items! Hit or throw one, and it'll start to float up. And then...POP! Streams of confetti and goodies galore! Keep in mind, though, that there are actually two types of party ball – the other one is packed with Bob-ombs! ...What do you call a group of those things, anyway? A kaboom of Bob-ombs?
- : Super Smash Bros. Melee (05/2002)
- : Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Names in other languages
|French (PAL)||Ballon Surprise||Surprise Ball|
|French (NTSC)||Ballon-surprise||Surprise Ball|
|Spanish (PAL)||Bola de fiesta||Party Ball|
|Italian||Sfera festa||Party Ball|
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Melee|
|Normal||Barrel Cannon · Beam Sword · Bob-omb · Bunny Hood · Cloaking Device · Fan · Fire Flower · Flipper · Food · Freezie · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Parasol · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Red Shell · Screw Attack · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Egg · Party Ball|
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Normal||Assist Trophy · Banana Peel · Beam Sword · Blast Box · Bob-omb · Bumper · Bunny Hood · Cracker Launcher · Deku Nut · Dragoon · Fan · Fire Flower · Food · Franklin Badge · Freezie · Golden Hammer · Gooey Bomb · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Hothead · Lightning Bolt · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Pitfall · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Screw Attack · Smart Bomb · Smash Ball · Smoke Ball · Soccer Ball · Spring · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Superspicy Curry · Team Healer · Timer · Unira · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Party Ball · Sandbag · Rolling Crates|
|Key · Stock Ball · Trophy Stand|
|Collectibles||CD · Coins · Sticker · Trophy|
|Other||Smash Coins and Bills|