Hothead artwork from Brawl and Ultimate.
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Hothead|
Hotheads made their debut in Super Mario World as castle level enemies and has become a recurring enemy in the Mario and Yoshi series. They are large balls of sparkling energy with simple eyes. Hotheads are known for simply moving along platforms and being immune to every attack, except for Invincible Mario.
In its stationary state, Hotheads can be picked up and thrown, but will become mobile when thrown. Once they land on the ground or on a platform, they will move along the surface in the direction they were thrown, clinging to the floors and the ceilings of said platforms and periodically release sparks that deal 1.6× more damage. If it moves on a soft platform, the Hothead will fall off of the edge and continue to fall until it lands again or falls off the screen. In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Hotheads will change their direction when they travel offstage on flat surfaces instead of disappearing.
Hotheads can also be attacked, causing them to grow larger and deal more damage. They can be attacked both before and after being set into motion. The incoming damage is multiplied by some value and added onto the Hothead's current damage (e.g. a 7% attack and a multiplier of 0.7× will add 4.9%); this new value will used and added onto with further attacks. When the damage it deals reaches certain thresholds (see table below), the damage increase from further incoming attacks will decrease or stop completely after passing the last threshold. In Brawl and Super Smash Bros. 4, only flame and electric attacks can increase the damage, while in Ultimate any attack can increase their size but will receive a 0.3× multiplier alongside the normal multiplier if it is not a flame or electric attack.
|Super Smash Bros. Brawl||d≤12%||0.7|
|Super Smash Bros. 4||d≤12%||0.7|
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate||d≤10%||0.7|
|Dash attack throw||13%||16%|
|Up tilt throw||12%||13%|
|Forward tilt throw||13%||13%|
|down tilt throw||N/A||N/A|
|Forward smash throw||16%||17%|
|Up smash throw||12%||18%|
|Down smash throw||N/A||N/A|
|Air forward tilt throw||13%||13%|
|Air up tilt throw||12%||15%|
|Air down tilt throw||12%||12%|
|Air forward smash throw||12%||13%|
|Air up smash throw||12%||15%|
|Air down smash throw||12%||16%|
Note: All of these damage percentages were taken with an uncharged Hothead.
- An item that, when tossed, sticks to the terrain and moves, causing damage to those it touches. Whoever threw it won't take damage. It will grow larger if it's attacked, which ups its attack range. However, an increase in size corresponds to a decrease in the time it stays on the screen. A really big Hothead will take up the entire screen, and is quite a sight to behold.
- An item that, when tossed, sticks to the terrain and moves, causing damage to those it touches. Whoever threw it won't take damage. It will grow larger with some attacks, which ups its attack range. However, an increase in size corresponds to a decrease in the time it stays on the screen. A really big Hothead will take up the entire screen, and is quite a sight to behold.
- : Super Mario World
The Hothead trophy appears in both versions.
- Once thrown, this guy will move across the ground and damage anything—except you—in its path. You can make the Hothead bigger by hitting it with attacks, much to your opponents' dismay. If you make it really big and powerful, it may just carry you to victory!
- : Super Mario World (08/1991)
- : Super Princess Peach (02/2006)
- Throw this on the ground and it'll slide around, damaging everything in its path, except you. You can make the Hothead get bigger and more powerful by attacking it with fire and lightning, and it's pretty impressive just how big and powerful it can get!
- : Super Mario World (04/1992)
- : Super Princess Peach (05/2006)
The Hothead also appears as a Novice-class support spirit.
The Hothead's Spirit Battle uses a Curry Pac-Man puppet fighter and is fought on the Mushroom Kingdom U stage's Slide Lift Tower layout. During the battle, the Hothead appears as the item while Pac-Man starts off with a Hothead.
|58||Hothead||★||2||Hothead Equipped||Super Mario Series|
In addition to the above, equipping the Plasma Wisp or Zip support spirits will give the player a Hothead at a start of their stock.
|376||Plasma Wisp||★||2||Hothead Equipped||Kirby Series|
The Hothead in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Names in other languages
- Oddly, even though Hotheads do fire damage, they cannot ignite Blast Boxes or idle Bob-ombs upon contact.
- If the first attack a Hothead receives deals more than 30% and it sparks, it can one-hit KO.
- Brawl's trophy states that the larger a Hothead is, the faster it will disappear. This is false and the only reason it would last a shorter amount of time is based on the time taken to make the Hothead larger.
- It also mentions that a large enough Hothead will take up the entire screen despite it not being able to grow to more than twice its size.
- In-game, Hotheads are actually a 2D texture; however, the Brawl trophy of the Hothead is a 3D model.
- In Brawl, the highest possible damage output known for a Hothead without hacking is 274% when smash thrown, and 426% when it sparks. For a Hothead to become this strong, Marth's Critical Hit must launch five Soccer Balls that have sustained the maximum amount of damage into the Hothead.
- Hotheads will cling to and slide over the surface of some bosses.
- Without the aid of items or customs, Roy can create the strongest Hothead out of any character by hitting it with a fully charged Flare Blade.
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Normal||Assist Trophy · Banana Peel · Beam Sword · Blast Box · Bob-omb · Bumper · Bunny Hood · Cracker Launcher · Deku Nut · Dragoon · Fan · Fire Flower · Food · Franklin Badge · Freezie · Golden Hammer · Gooey Bomb · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Hothead · Lightning Bolt · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Pitfall · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Screw Attack · Smart Bomb · Smash Ball · Smoke Ball · Soccer Ball · Spring · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Superspicy Curry · Team Healer · Timer · Unira · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Party Ball · Sandbag · Rolling Crates|
|Key · Stock Ball · Trophy Stand|
|Collectibles||CD · Coins · Sticker · Trophy|
|Other||Smash Coins and Bills|