Artwork of Lip wielding her Stick from Panel de Pon.
|Universe||Panel de Pon|
Lip's Stick (リップステッキ, Lip Stick) is an item from Panel de Pon that first appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Lip's Stick originates from the Japanese puzzle game Panel de Pon, where it is held by the game's protagonist, Lip, on the title screen and in the background of puzzles. In-game, Lip's Stick is referred to generically as a "flower wand" (はなのつえ).
In Panel de Pon's Vs. Mode, when performing a combo or clearing more than three panels at the same time, a symbol flies over to the opponent's side, immediately followed by the appearance of a garbage block. If the player is playing as Lip, she waves her flower wand at the opponent when this occurs, and the symbol and garbage block are flower-themed. The flower's continued-damage property in Smash may be a reference to the garbage block's interference to the opponent's gameplay.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee
Lip's Stick is classified as a battering item, with the unique side effect of inflicting the flower status upon any fighter struck by it. Tilt and smash attacks cause the item to release "dust", which similarly inflicts the flower effect, but deals less damage and knockback. Repeated use of Lip's Stick and its dust causes the flower to grow, making the effect last longer. However, the item has a limited amount of dust; once it runs out, Lip's Stick can no longer attack from a distance, but can still be used as a battering item. Furthermore, the dust is considered a projectile, and can consequently be reflected and absorbed.
- Lip's Stick
- This magical stick was used by the character Lip in the Japanese game Panel De Pon, which was later released as Tetris Attack in the United States. Lip's Stick causes a flower to sprout from an enemy's head, inflicting damage as it grows. Quickly tap the Control Stick back and forth to get a flower off of your head.
- Panel De Pon (Japan Only)
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lip's Stick was first confirmed to return in Super Smash Bros. Brawl when it was shown in a Smash Bros. DOJO!! update concerning Munchlax, behaving the same way as it did in Melee. It can not give the flower effect to the Fighting Alloy Team, although it still deals a considerable amount of knockback when used on them.
- Lip's Stick
- An item that causes a damage-dealing flower to bloom on people's heads. If you find yourself with a flower on your noggin, start rattling the Control Stick back and forth to shake it off. Some characters can pull off having flower-covered heads in style, while others clearly cannot.
- : Panel de Pon (Japan Only)
In Super Smash Bros. 4
Lip's Stick returns as an item in Super Smash Bros. 4, acting as it did in Melee and Brawl. The damage it deals is now classified as a magic attack, creating sparkly effects with each hit. The equipment of the same name allows the player to equip the item at the start of a match.
- Lip's Stick
- With this wand in hand, a simple flick of the wrist will sprout a flower from a character's head. If you keep on flicking, the flower grows larger. The bigger the flower, the more nutrients it craves, dealing more and more damage to the host. Shake it off by running around real fast!
- : Panel de Pon (Japan)
- With a wave of this wand, make a flower bloom on your opponent's head. A lovely big flower. One that gets bigger the more times you hit them. It must be absorbing nutrients from its host, since your rival's damage will slowly go up and up while it's there. If this ever happens to you, try to shake it off by running around!
- : Panel de Pon (1995 (JP))
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Lip's Stick returns as an item in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Additionally, its appearance is used as the basis for the Mii Swordfighter's sword when wearing the Lip Outfit alternate costume.
Equipping the Lip, Wiggler, Farfetch'd, Agitha, or Daisy Mae support spirits will give the player Lip's Stick at the start of their stock.
|1,153||Lip||★★★||1||Lip's Stick Equipped||Panel de Pon Series|
|60||Wiggler||★||1||Lip's Stick Equipped||Super Mario Series|
|225||Agitha||★||1||Lip's Stick Equipped||The Legend of Zelda Series|
|442||Farfetch'd||★||1||Lip's Stick Equipped||Pokémon Series|
|1,410||Daisy Mae||★||1||Lip's Stick Equipped||Animal Crossing Series|
|F-Smash (C. Falcon)||19%-27%||8%-16%||15%|
|F-Smash (Ice Climbers/1 Lip's Stick)||19%-23%||13%-16%||—|
|F-Smash (Ice Climbers/2 Lip's Sticks)||36%-44%||13%-17%||—|
|Forward tilt throw||10%||6%||7%|
|Up tilt throw||9%||6%||8%|
|Down tilt throw||12%||6%||8%|
|Dash attack throw||12%||7%||8%|
|Forward smash throw||13%||6%||8%|
|Up smash throw||9%||6%||9%|
|Down smash throw||16%||8%||8%|
|Air Forward tilt throw||11%||6%||5%|
|Air up tilt Throw||9%||6%||7%|
|Air down tilt throw||12%||6%||5%|
|Air forward smash throw||11%||6%||5%|
|Air up smash throw||9%||6%||7%|
|Air down smash throw||12%||6%||5%|
Richter holding Lip's Stick in Ultimate.
Names in other languages
- In Brawl, when Mario is afflicted by Lip's Stick and does his side taunt, the flower appears on his cap.
- Prior to an unknown update in the PAL release of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the trophy for Lip's Stick erroneously identifies its origin as Panel de Pon's Western counterpart, Tetris Attack (where neither Lip nor her wand appeared).
- Similarly, when the player first obtains the Lip's Stick trophy in Brawl, it unlocks Tetris Attack in the Chronicle.
- In concept art for Kirby Super Star, a Flower copy ability for Kirby was considered which would have given him a bow (resembling Lip's) and, seemingly, the ability to cause a flower to grow from an enemy's head to damage them. This may have influenced the design of the Lip's Stick item in Smash, as Kirby Super Star was also directed by Masahiro Sakurai.
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Melee|
|Normal||Barrel Cannon · Beam Sword · Bob-omb · Bunny Hood · Cloaking Device · Fan · Fire Flower · Flipper · Food · Freezie · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Parasol · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Red Shell · Screw Attack · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Egg · Party Ball|
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Normal||Assist Trophy · Banana Peel · Beam Sword · Blast Box · Bob-omb · Bumper · Bunny Hood · Cracker Launcher · Deku Nut · Dragoon · Fan · Fire Flower · Food · Franklin Badge · Freezie · Golden Hammer · Gooey Bomb · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Hothead · Lightning Bolt · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Pitfall · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Screw Attack · Smart Bomb · Smash Ball · Smoke Ball · Soccer Ball · Spring · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Superspicy Curry · Team Healer · Timer · Unira · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Party Ball · Sandbag · Rolling Crates|
|Key · Stock Ball · Trophy Stand|
|Collectibles||CD · Coins · Sticker · Trophy|
|Other||Smash Coins and Bills|