A down tilt (abbreviated "d-tilt"), officially called a strong down (下強攻撃, Down/lower/under strong attack) before Ultimate, is a tilt performed by any character by holding the control stick lightly down and pressing the attack button while on the ground, or crouching ahead of time and pressing the attack button. It can also be performed by pressing Z while crouching.
Down tilts tend to be very quick grounded moves with good range, making them useful for spacing and "poking" from a distance. Some down tilts are also combo or followup initiators, while others are capable edgeguarding moves due to their semi-spike angle. They are also good at shield stabbing and dodging some attacks due to the low profile of the character. In Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, some down tilts are capable of meteor smashing opponents, while from Brawl onwards, many have a random chance to make opponents trip.
List of down tilts
|Banjo & Kazooie||Performs the Beak Barge, in which Banjo crouches to the ground and Kazooie pokes her beak out, thrusting the duo forward.|
|Bayonetta||Performs a low spinning kick.|
|Bowser||Throws two alternating hooks low to the ground.|
|Bowser Jr.||Licks outwards with a tongue deployed from the Koopa Clown Car's mouth.|
|Byleth||Performs a sweeping swipe with the Sword of the Creator in its whip form.|
|Captain Falcon|| Performs a low poking kick.|
Throws a dramatic inward spinning kick.
|Charizard|| Bites at the ground in front of itself.|
Performs a straight, poking headbutt.
|Chrom||Stabs straight forwards.|
|Cloud||Performs a low sliding kick.|
|Corrin||Slashes inwards parallel to the ground.|
|Daisy||Kicks low to the ground.|
|Dark Pit||Slashes one blade along the ground.|
|Dark Samus||Releases a blast from her arm cannon towards the ground.|
|Diddy Kong||Claps his palms together low to the ground.|
|Donkey Kong||Throws a low inwards slap, known as the Slouch Slap in the Tips section.|
|Dr. Mario||Throws a quick spinning leg sweep.|
|Duck Hunt||The duck pecks forwards along the ground.|
|Falco||Performs an inwards spinning tail swipe.|
|Fox||Performs an inwards spinning tail swipe.|
|Ganondorf|| Throws a dramatic inwards spinning kick.|
Throws a straight poking kick.
|Greninja|| Performs a spinning kick.|
Swats outwards with its hand.
|Hero||Performs a low kick.|
|Ice Climbers||Sweep their hammers across the ground.|
|Ike||Slashes Ragnell inwards along the ground.|
|Incineroar||Performs a low spinning take-down kick.|
|Inkling||Spins on the ground to hit with two successive breakdance-style kicks.|
|Isabelle||Leans forwards and pulls a weed out of the ground.|
|Ivysaur|| Swipes along the ground with one vine, then its other.|
Swipes a single vine on a downwards angle in front of itself.
|Jigglypuff||Jabs its foot forward.|
|Joker||Performs a sliding kick.|
|Kazuya||Strikes downwards with his hand.|
|Ken||Tapped: Performs a very fast poking kick.|
Held: Leans forward and throws a slower, longer-ranged shin kick.
|King Dedede|| Spins and throws a poking kick out of it.|
Rolls his entire body forward along the ground.
|King K. Rool||Stomps the ground in front of himself, burying opponents.|
|Kirby||Performs a low inwards kick.|
|Link||Slashes inwards low to the ground.|
|Little Mac||Throws a quick jab out of a defensive crouch.|
|Lucario||Performs a forwards poking kick.|
|Lucas||Throws a fast spinning kick.|
|Lucina||Stabs straight forwards.|
|Luigi|| Performs a low poking kick.|
Pokes forwards with his heel.
|Mario||Throws a quick spinning leg sweep.|
|Marth||Stabs straight forwards.|
|Mega Man||Slides along the ground while kicking outwards.|
|Meta Knight||Stabs forwards.|
|Mewtwo||Spins while sweeping its tail alongside the ground.|
|Mii Brawler||Kicks forwards.|
|Mii Gunner||Releases a cannon blast towards the ground.|
|Mii Swordfighter||Stabs forwards.|
|Min Min||Performs a low sliding kick.|
|Mr. Game & Watch||Shoves a manhole cover up in front of himself while crouching.|
|Mythra||Slashes inwards along the ground.|
|Ness||Throws a very fast poking kick outwards.|
|Olimar||Thrusts his body headfirst along the ground.|
|Pac-Man||Transforms into his wedge form and munches forwards while advancing a small distance.|
|Palutena||Telekinetically spins her staff low to the ground in front of herself.|
|Peach|| Swipes her palm low to the ground.|
Kicks low to the ground.
|Pichu||Throws out a quick spinning tail swipe.|
|Pikachu||Throws out a quick spinning tail swipe.|
|Piranha Plant||Slashes inwards with its leading leaf.|
|Pit||Slashes one blade along the ground.|
|Pyra||Slashes inwards along the ground.|
|R.O.B.||Jams his arms forwards quickly.|
|Richter||Performs a sliding kick, then jumps to perform an arcing downwards-angled poking kick. A two-stage natural combo.|
|Ridley||Sweeps his tail horizontally.|
|Robin||Slashes the Bronze Sword outwards low to the ground.|
|Rosalina & Luma||Rosalina: Throws a low, floating dropkick.|
Luma: Headbutts along the ground.
|Roy||Stabs straight forwards.|
|Ryu||Tapped: Performs a very fast poking kick.|
Held: Leans forward and throws a slower, longer-ranged shin kick.
|Samus|| Throws a low roundhouse kick.|
Releases a blast from her arm cannon towards the ground.
|Sephiroth||Performs a low sliding kick.|
|Sheik||Throws a low spinning kick.|
|Shulk||Slashes inwards along the ground.|
|Simon||Performs a sliding kick, then jumps to perform an arcing downwards-angled poking kick. A two-stage natural combo.|
|Snake||Throws a low spinning kick.|
|Sonic||Sweeps his leg in front of himself.|
|Sora||Swipes his Keyblade along the ground.|
|Squirtle|| Spins its body rapidly while shifting slightly forward for multiple hits.|
Throws a spinning, water-imbued leg sweep.
|Steve||Uses Flint and Steel creating a flame. When used on the edge, it'll travel downward.|
|Terry||A low kick.|
|Toon Link||Slashes inwards along the ground.|
|Villager||Leans forwards and pulls a weed out of the ground.|
|Wario||Quickly pokes his finger towards the ground in front of himself.|
|Wii Fit Trainer||Assumes the Bridge pose to strike forwards with both knees.|
|Wolf||Kicks forwards along the ground.|
|Yoshi||Performs a quick, low tailspin.|
|Young Link||Slashes inwards along the ground.|
|Zelda||Throws a quick poking kick outwards.|
|Zero Suit Samus||Kicks along the ground while spinning.|
Notable down tilts
- While many down tilts throughout the series move their users slightly forwards for a pseudo-crawl, a small handful of characters have down tilts which cause them to move a significant distance forward with just one use. These characters are Cloud, Joker, King Dedede (from SSB4 onwards), Mega Man, Banjo & Kazooie, Sephiroth, Richter, Simon and Min Min.
- Simon and Richter's shared down tilt is the only one in the series that is a natural combo. The airborne nature of its second stage also allows the Belmonts to jump off the stage with it, making it one of the only tilts in the series along with Mega Man's up tilt that causes its user to functionally leave the ground.
- Peach's down tilt, in all of its appearances, is an unconventional meteor smash.
- Additionally, in Ultimate (where she now shares it with Daisy), it is notoriously effective as a reliable combo starter due to it having decent startup lag, very low ending lag and high knockback, allowing it to set up highly damaging combos on many characters.
- King K. Rool's down tilt will bury opponents who are struck by his foot, being the only down tilt in the series to do so. Beyond his foot, a large hitbox is also generated as a sour spot, which is similarly unique to this move.
- Ryu and Ken have access to two different down tilts, depending on whether the attack button is quickly tapped or held for a longer time. This is also true for their neutral attack and other tilts. In the case of down tilt, both characters' tapped down tilts can be repeated very quickly and have very low knockback which allows them to chain into deadly combos, or even outright finishers like Shoryuken.
- Luigi's down tilt has been one of his least useful moves in the majority of the series. Although it was decent in Smash 64 due to its fast startup and ability to combo into Super Jump Punch, the move is nearly useless in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 as its ending lag is too high for it to have any utility.
- However, the move was significantly buffed in Ultimate. Although it no longer has a bonus trip chance, its ending lag was drastically reduced and it deals less knockback. This has made it highly spammable and one of his most useful ground moves, as it is now a very reliable combo tool and is great for pressuring and poking the opponent's shield due to being extremely safe on shield. The move is also an excellent ledgetrapping tool as it can easily 2-frame opponents hanging at the ledge and pressure their ledge options.
- Falco's down tilt is the strongest in Ultimate, originally beating out Ganon and Mr. Game and Watch. This is simply because of the changes the move received in patch 8.0.0.
- R.O.B.'s down tilt is considered a highly effective move due to its very low startup and ending lag, low knockback and it being able to trip opponents, allowing for multiple combos and setups. The move is very similar in all three games R.O.B. has appeared in, but it is at its most effective in Ultimate, due to the move working best under the game's universal mechanics compared to the previous two games.
- Steve's down tilt is the only one to be a projectile. The flame will travel downwards when used over an edge, allowing Steve to edgeguard opponents without leaving the stage.
- Kazuya's down tilt is the only normal attack in the series whose startup can be cancelled by shielding.
Crouching attacks are a unique type of attack related to down tilts where the character must fully be in the crouch position to activate. These attacks were introduced in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and are currently only available to Kazuya.
|Kazuya||Crouch(↓) + attack||Performs a punch while ducking.|
|Crouch(↘) + attack||Gets on his back and kicks from the floor.|
|Crouch(↙) + attack||A rotating kick from below.|
|Uncrouch + attack||An electrified punch that crumples opponents.|
|Attacks in the Super Smash Bros. series|
|Standard ground attacks||Neutral attack · Dash attack|
|Tilt attacks||Forward tilt · Up tilt · Down tilt · Crouching attack|
|Smash attacks||Forward smash · Up smash · Down smash|
|Aerial attacks||Neutral aerial · Forward aerial · Back aerial · Up aerial · Down aerial · Grab aerial · Glide attack|
|Throws||Grab · Pummel · Forward throw · Back throw · Up throw · Down throw|
|Get-up attacks||Floor attack · Edge attack|
|Special moves||Neutral special move · Side special move · Up special move · Down special move · Command-input move · Final Smash|