The Superspicy Curry's artwork from Brawl.
|Article on Wikirby||Superspicy Curry|
Superspicy Curry (激辛カレーライス, Spicy Curry Rice) is an item in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. 4, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, hailing from the Kirby universe. The item acts as a transformation item that not only allows the player to constantly spew either fireballs in Brawl or a stream of fire in SSB4 and Ultimate, but also changes the mechanics of their movement.
The Superspicy Curry first appeared as an item in Kirby's Dream Land. If Kirby consumed the item, he would temporarily be given the ability to spit individual fireballs at his enemies, referencing the spiciness of its real-world counterpart; Kirby's Dream Land did not allow Kirby to copy the abilities of his enemies, and as such, the item can be considered a precursor to his trademark ability to copy abilities. To date, the item has not reappeared in the series, primarily because the item's use has been superseded by Fire Kirby and other transformations. In the port included in Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition, the instruction manual on the Home Menu simply calls it "Hot Food".
The Superspicy Curry was also in the episode "A Spice Odyssey", also referred to as The Hot Shot Chef ("Spicy! Family Restaurant War" in Japanese) from the Kirby anime, Kirby: Right Back at Ya! (called Hoshi no Kabi, meaning Kirby of the Stars, in Japanese), though it was renamed Toxic Atomic Curry in English. Unlike how it worked in Kirby's Dream Land, whenever someone ate the curry, they would release an uncontrollable stream of fire from their mouth rather than multiple fireballs; in the episode, Kirby uses the curry in order to defeat Monsieur Goan.
Upon consumption of the Superspicy Curry, the user will continuously have flames erupting from their mouth in an up-and-down flame pattern for thirteen seconds. While similar in effect to the Fire Flower, the character can still attack throughout the transformation; as these flames cannot be interrupted outside of grabbing, players can even inflict damage while taunting. While the flames deal only 1% per hit, the "fanning" motion of the numerous hitboxes and their low knockback can allow the player to inflict considerable damage on their opponents if they force them against walls or otherwise find another method to keep them in place. The individual flames of the item, however, are considered to be energy-based projectiles, and as such, they can be reflected and even absorbed. In addition the flames disappear if the player grabs an opponent, likely to prevent forming an overly powerful wobble effect.
In Brawl and for Wii U, the Superspicy Curry also affects the user's movement, forcing players to constantly dash instead of walk whenever moving, with the animation itself comically playing much faster than usual. In Ultimate, it no longer forces the user to dash constantly when consumed, thus allowing them to freely use their forward tilts.
As an added cosmetic effect, the idle pose of players is humorously changed in order to reference their consumption of the item. While some of these changed idle poses might change the orientation of the character (Toon Link, for instance, constantly spins in place under its effects, while Marth frequently jumps in the air while comically flailing his arms and legs), the flames stay in place. In Smash 4 and Ultimate, most characters are more expressive as their faces turn red while under the effects. In Ultimate, their expressions are also displayed during other animations, such as crouching and putting up their shield.
As a Special Smash option
"Curry" is among the various modifiers available in Brawl's Special Brawl, for Wii U's Special Smash, and Ultimate' Custom Smash. When selected, it puts all players in a permanent curry status.
- Superspicy Curry
- The spiciest curry around. Eat it, and you'll be able to attack by spitting out fireballs. The eater of the curry will soon be unable to handle the heat, however, and end up frantically dashing about the screen. This is a pretty funny sight that never gets old, especially when it's Samus or Snake. Eat this mouth-scorching dish if you dare.
- : Kirby's Dream Land
- Superspicy Curry
- Hope you're a fan of spicy food, because this curry will set your mouth on fire! I'm not kidding—whoever eats this will actually shoot balls of fire from his or her mouth, hurting those who get too close. Water doesn't help with spiciness, so this works underwater too! Too bad there's no milk weapon...
- You think you know spicy curries? Think again! One taste of this one and your mouth will literally be on fire. Not even diving into water will help! Your opponents might laugh, but they'll soon stop when you start breathing fire in their direction, now won't they?
- : Kirby's Dream Land (08/1992)
While the Superspicy Curry itself does not have a spirit, the item appears as an ability for the primary spirit Paper Bowser (Paper Mario: Sticker Star) and the support spirits Blargg, Arcanine, Mist, Twinbellows, Blaze the Cat, and Chef (Personal Trainer: Cooking). Using any of the listed spirits will equip the player with Superspicy Curry at the start of a match. Using the Ender Dragon spirit will give a special version of Superspicy Curry that has extra range.
|96||Paper Bowser (Paper Mario: Sticker Star)||★★★★||2||4655||11640||2307||5768||1887||4719||Mouthful of Curry||Paper Mario Series|
Luigi under the effects of Superspicy Curry in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Names in other languages
- Super Smash Bros. 4's trophy descriptions mention that water does not douse the effects of the curry. This is in contrast to its first appearance in Kirby's Dream Land where entering water prematurely ends the curry's effect; this is even warned about in the instruction booklet. However, it could be referring to the fact that the effects of the curry are unaffected by entering water in Smash.
- Banjo & Kazooie will have the fire coming out from behind while dashing, due to their dash animation involving Kazooie carrying Banjo on her back and Banjo eating the curry.
- The curry effect can overlap with the Bunny Hood and a Super Mushroom to make characters faster. By using all three items together, Sonic can outrun the iceberg on Summit.
- In SSB4, there is a glitch that involves two players having Superspicy Curry making the players go up until they get KOed by the upper blast line.
- In Kirby Mass Attack, the Superspicy Curry appears with the Super Smash Bros. design in the minigame Kirby Quest.
- In SSB4 and Ultimate, many characters under the effect of Superspicy Curry have their cheeks colored red. While this only applies to their idle pose in SSB4, characters maintain their expressions until the curry runs out in Ultimate.
- In SSB4, Mega Man's entire face turns red.
- This has become a sort of meme and "innuendo" for its suggestive undertones, particularly when the effect is on a female character, due to the fact that they can resemble "ahegao faces".
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Normal||Assist Trophy · Banana Peel · Beam Sword · Blast Box · Bob-omb · Bumper · Bunny Hood · Cracker Launcher · Deku Nut · Dragoon · Fan · Fire Flower · Food · Franklin Badge · Freezie · Golden Hammer · Gooey Bomb · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Hothead · Lightning Bolt · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Pitfall · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Screw Attack · Smart Bomb · Smash Ball · Smoke Ball · Soccer Ball · Spring · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Superspicy Curry · Team Healer · Timer · Unira · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Party Ball · Sandbag · Rolling Crates|
|Key · Stock Ball · Trophy Stand|
|Collectibles||CD · Coins · Sticker · Trophy|
|Other||Smash Coins and Bills|
|Fighters||Kirby (SSB · SSBM · SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU) · Meta Knight (SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU) · King Dedede (SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU)|
|Assist Trophies||Knuckle Joe · Nightmare · Chef Kawasaki|
|Bosses||Giant Kirby · Marx|
|Stages||Dream Land · Fountain of Dreams · Green Greens · Halberd · Dream Land GB · The Great Cave Offensive|
|Items||Maxim Tomato · Star Rod · Parasol · Warp Star · Apple · Dragoon · Superspicy Curry · Bomber|
|Enemies||Bonkers · Bronto Burt · Gordo · Parasol Waddle Dee · Plasma Wisp · Shotzo · Tac · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo|
|Other||Gourmet Race · Whispy Woods|
|Trophies, Stickers and Spirits||Trophies (SSBM · SSBB · SSB4) · Stickers · Spirits|
|Music||Brawl · SSB4 · Ultimate|
|Masterpieces||Kirby's Dream Land · Kirby's Adventure · Kirby Super Star|