Official artwork of Nightmare from Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land.
|Debut||Kirby's Adventure (1993)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||SSB4|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Kirby's Dream Buffet (2022, cameo)|
|Console/platform of origin||Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Place of origin||Dream Land|
|Voice actor||Hisao Egawa|
|Article on WiKirby||Nightmare|
Nightmare is the final boss of Kirby's Adventure and its remake Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land. He attempted to infect the Fountain of Dreams in order to spread bad dreams to the people of Dream Land. Due to the threat this posed, King Dedede sealed Nightmare away by dismantling the Star Rod, the fountain's source of power, cutting all of Dream Land off from any dreams in the process. Kirby, unaware of Dedede's true intentions, reassembled the Star Rod in full by defeating Dedede's minions, ultimately besting the king himself at the fountain. Once the Star Rod was put back in place, Nightmare was released. Dedede then Inhaled Kirby and fired him off to fight Nightmare in the sky, and later Popstar's moon.
Nightmare's design is based on Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, which in turn had borrowed Nightmare's visual redesign from the Kirby: Right Back at Ya! anime, where he once again appears as the main antagonist, this time as the head of Nightmare Enterprises (Holy Nightmare Co. in the original Japanese version).
As an Assist Trophy
Nightmare appears as an Assist Trophy. When summoned, he will first appear in his original Orb form before transforming into his true Wizard form, then blacks out the entirety of the screen, forcing players to fight in the dark.
While player tags disappear during the blackout, shields and other special effects do not, and players can use various moves to track themselves in the dark.
- This ball of nightmares came from the Fountain of Dreams, taking nightmares to all of Dream Land. King Dedede sealed it away by shattering the Star Rod, but it was revived when the Star Rod was restored by Kirby. In Smash Bros., it hides the stage and the fighters in pure darkness.
- : Kirby's Adventure (05/1993)
- : Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (12/2002)
- This terrible being came from the Fountain of Dreams, bringing bad dreams to all of Dream Land. King Dedede sealed him away by shattering the Star Rod, but when Kirby restored it, Nightmare was able to come back. In this game, he shrouds the stage in darkness, making it impossible for the fighters to see.
- : Kirby's Adventure (12/1993)
- : Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (09/2003)
As an Assist Trophy
Nightmare returns as an Assist Trophy, functioning as he has in previous games. Unlike in SSB4, more effects, including shields, are now obscured in the dark, making it even more difficult to track characters. Training Mode describes his Assist Trophy: Covers the stage in a deep darkness. Can't be KO'd.
The Nightmare's Power Orb's Spirit Battle uses a Giant Kirby puppet fighter and is fought on the Fountain of Dreams stage. During the battle, Nightmare appears as a hostile Assist Trophy while Kirby starts off with a Star Rod, referencing Nightmare Power Orb's star-shaped attacks.
Names in other languages
- Rather than Banjō Ginga, who voices the character in the Japanese Kirby: Right Back at Ya! anime (and his counterpart, Parallel Nightmare, in Super Kirby Clash), Nightmare is voiced in Smash by Hisao Egawa. This is unlike Meta Knight and Knuckle Joe, who share their Japanese voices with the anime.
|Fighters||Kirby (SSB · SSBM · SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU) · Meta Knight (SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU) · King Dedede (SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU)|
|Assist Trophies||Knuckle Joe · Nightmare · Chef Kawasaki|
|Bosses||Giant Kirby · Marx|
|Stages||Dream Land · Fountain of Dreams · Green Greens · Halberd · Dream Land GB · The Great Cave Offensive|
|Items||Maxim Tomato · Star Rod · Parasol · Warp Star · Apple · Dragoon · Superspicy Curry · Bomber|
|Enemies||Bonkers · Bronto Burt · Gordo · Parasol Waddle Dee · Plasma Wisp · Shotzo · Tac · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo|
|Other||Gourmet Race · Whispy Woods|
|Trophies, Stickers and Spirits||Trophies (SSBM · SSBB · SSB4) · Stickers · Spirits|
|Music||Brawl · SSB4 · Ultimate|
|Masterpieces||Kirby's Dream Land · Kirby's Adventure · Kirby Super Star|