Official papier mâché model of Starman from EarthBound.
|Smash Bros. appearances||Melee|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||EarthBound (1994)|
|Console/platform of origin||Famicom|
|Created by||Shigesato Itoi|
|Article on WikiBound||Starman|
The Starman (スターマン, Starman) is an enemy from the EarthBound series.
Starmen originated in Mother (EarthBound Beginnings outside of Japan) and later reappeared in EarthBound in several variants, both as regular enemies and as bosses. They are part of Giygas's army in both games. There are many different kinds of Starmen in the games, the ones featured in Smash are the regular Starmen. Their teleportation ability is a reference to how they move in the overworld of EarthBound.
The "SMAAAASH!!" graphic appearing when a Starman is defeated is a reference to the message which appears in the EarthBound series when an attack deals a critical hit.
PK Beam is a PSI attack featured only in EarthBound Beginnings, where it was used by Starmen, as well as Ana. PK Beam has four levels, being α, β, γ, and Ω. All levels up to Ω are single-target with increasing strength (γ being a one-hit KO on non-mechanical enemies) and Ω targets everyone on the opposing side.
A Starman appears as a trophy. It can be obtained through the Trophy Lottery and the single-player Regular Matches.
- Just one kooky subset of the diverse cast of enemies in EarthBound, these strange creatures are aliens in the employ of Giygas. Variations of the Starman race include Starman, Starman Jr., Starman Deluxe, and Starman Super. They all use PSI powers, but their strength differs depending on the level on which they're found.
- EarthBound (6/95)
The Starman's only appearance in Brawl is as a sticker.
As an Assist Trophy
A Starman appears both as a Smash Run enemy and as an Assist Trophy, with the same behavior. It teleports around and attacks with two possible variants of PK Beam: PK Beam γ, which is a single focused beam attack, and PK Beam Ω, which is a barrage of beams in all directions. The beams can be reflected and absorbed.
The Assist Trophy Starman can be defeated, and when it is, it is sent flying with a "SMAAAASH!!" graphic appearing. The "SMAAAASH!!" graphic also appears if the Smash Run version of Starman is hit by its reflected PK Beam, which will also defeat it in one hit.
- Starman (EarthBound/Mother)
- These alien henchmen serve Giygas, the chief villain of EarthBound. In Smash Bros., the assist trophy Starman will teleport around and fire off PSI moves like PK Beam γ or PK Beam Ω. You can defeat one summoned by an opponent, but they won't go down without a fight.
- These alien henchmen serve Giygas, the chief villain of EarthBound. In Smash Bros., the Assist Trophy Starman will teleport around and fire off PSI moves like PK Beam γ or PK Beam Ω. You can defeat one summoned by an opponent, but they won't go down without a fight.
- : EarthBound (06/1995)
- Starmen, the evil Giygas's henchmen in the Mother series, are renowned alien space assassins. Summon one in this game, and it'll teleport about, firing off attacks like PK Beam γ, which targets a foe, and PK Beam Ω, which fires across the whole stage in up to four directions. Starmen can be taken out, but...not easily.
- : Mother (1989 (JP))
- : EarthBound (1994 (JP))
As an Assist Trophy
Starman returns as an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, acting similarly to how it did in Super Smash Bros. 4, albeit KOing it now earns a point. Training Mode describes their Assist Trophy with the following: Warps around the stage, firing shots created from PSI. It cannot be summoned on Garreg Mach Monastery, King of Fighters Stadium, Mushroomy Kingdom, Norfair, nor Spear Pillar.
|571||Starman||★★||2||1740||6963||815||3260||767||3070||PSI Attack ↑||EarthBound Series|
The Starman Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
Names in other languages
- The Assist Trophy and Smash Run versions use different skins. They use their grey colours from EarthBound as an Assist Trophy, and their white colours from EarthBound Beginnings in Smash Run.
- The PK Beam projectiles look similar to the ones that Ness and Lucas shoot from their PK Fire projectile.
- Starman was the only new Assist Trophy in SSB4 to not be officially revealed before the release of the game.
- A reflected PK Beam γ KO'ing Starman in one hit in Smash Run may be a reference to the original EarthBound Beginnings. In that game, PK Beam γ is a one-hit KO move that Starman can use, and one strategy to defeat it is to reflect its PK Beam γ back at it with the Franklin Badge.
- Appearing in the first Mother game, Starman is the only Assist Trophy that is older than any playable characters from the series it's from, since Ness first appeared in Mother 2 (EarthBound) and Lucas in Mother 3.
|Enemies||Bacura · Banzai Bill · Bill Blaster · Bonkers · Boom Stomper · Bronto Burt · Bubble · Bulborb · Bullet Bill · Bumpety Bomb · Chain Chomp · Chandelure · Clubberskull · Cryogonal · Cucco · Daphne · Darknut · Devil Car · Eggrobo · Flage · Flame Chomp · Fly Guy · Gastly · Geemer · Generator · Ghost · Giant Goomba · Glice · Glire · Glunder · Goomba · Gordo · Hammer Bro · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kihunter · Koffing · Koopa Paratroopa · Koopa Troopa · Kritter · Lakitu and Spinies · Lethinium · Lurchthorn · Magikoopa · Mahva · Megonta · Metroid · Mettaur · Mimicutie · Mite · Monoeye · Nutski · Octorok · Orne · Parasol Waddle Dee · Peahat · Petilil · Plasma Wisp · Polar Bear · Pooka · Poppant · Reaper & Reapette · ReDead · Reo · Roturret · Shotzo · Shy Guy · Skuttler · Sneaky Spirit · Souflee · Spike Top · Starman · Stalfos · Tac · Tiki Buzz · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo · Zuree|
|EarthBound (Mother) universe|
|Fighters||Ness (SSB · SSBM · SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU) · Lucas (SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU)|
|Assist Trophies||Jeff · Starman|
|Bosses||Porky Statue · Porky|
|Stages||Onett · Fourside · New Pork City · Magicant|
|Items||Mr. Saturn · Franklin Badge · Ramblin' Evil Mushroom|
|Enemies||Devil Car · Starman|
|Other||Boney · Flying Man · Kumatora · Paula · Poo · Rope Snake · Ultimate Chimera|
|Trophies, Stickers and Spirits||Trophies (SSBM · SSBB · SSB4) · Stickers · Spirits|
|Music||Brawl · SSB4 · Ultimate|