Official artwork of Fly Guys from Mario Party 8.
|Debut||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||SSB|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Mario Party Superstars (2021)|
|Console/platform of origin||Super Nintendo Entertainment System|
|Place of origin||Yoshi's Island|
|Created by||Shigeru Miyamoto|
|Designed by||Shigeru Miyamoto|
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Fly Guy|
Fly Guys (プロペラヘイホー, Propeller Heiho), referred to as Propeller Shy Guys in the original Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee, are a subspecies of Shy Guy that appear in the Yoshi and Mario series.
Fly Guys made their debut in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and has become a common enemy in later Mario and Yoshi games. They fly around and carry items, including 1-Ups and rare Red Coins. Some of them fly back and forth in a set path, while others appear suddenly, move quickly and fly away if not hit in time.
Propeller Shy Guys return as background characters in the returning Yoshi's Island stage.
Despite the trophy name and description referring to Shy Guys in general, three Propeller Shy Guys are the only Shy Guys visually represented by the trophy.
- Shy Guys
- There are many types of Shy Guys: they've been known to walk on the ground, fly through the air, traipse about on stilts, wear flowers or camouflage, throw balls, swing bats, sail on pirate ships, carry fruit, do the Bamboo Dance, ride submarines, play guitar, play tennis, wear red, come in large or small sizes, steal people's toys, cause mischief...
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (10/88)
Fly Guys appear as a stage element in the Yoshi's Island stage where they fly in and carry food, which can be dropped by attacking them. They are seen as 2D drawn images to match the stage's pastel aesthetic.
|Fly Guy||Mario Power Tennis||Attack +5|
|Propeller Shy Guy||Yoshi's Story||Attack +14|
(Mario Power Tennis)
Propeller Shy Guy
As a stage element
Fly Guys return and reprise their roles as a stage element in the Yoshi's Island stage.
Fly Guys appear as rare, harmless enemies (this time as 3D models, unlike the ones in the Yoshi's Island stage). They fly around carrying an item which changes every few seconds, and if not defeated in time they quickly fly away. They can carry food, gold and Custom Parts, which they drop when attacked.
Three Fly Guys appear in one of the Survive! Hard Challenge rooms, carrying dangerous-to-get bonus loot.
- Fly Guy
- This enemy from the Yoshi's Island series is basically a Shy Guy with a propeller on its head. It hauls items with it as it flies, so chase it down to claim a reward. Usually it's just food, but sometimes one will have some better prizes. You could say these ones are...pretty fly for a Shy Guy. No? Never mind.
- This enemy usually appears in Yoshi's Island. It's basically a Shy Guy, but with a propeller on its head, sooo...you could say it's pretty fly for a Shy Guy. No? OK, then. They fly around overhead with items that you'll want to get hold of! Usually it's only food, but just sometimes they might be carrying something even better...
Names in other languages
- The description of the Fly Guy trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS references the song Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) by the band The Offspring.
|Enemies||Bacura · Banzai Bill · Bill Blaster · Bonkers · Boom Stomper · Bronto Burt · Bubble · Bulborb · Bullet Bill · Bumpety Bomb · Chain Chomp · Chandelure · Clubberskull · Cryogonal · Cucco · Daphne · Darknut · Devil Car · Eggrobo · Flage · Flame Chomp · Fly Guy · Gastly · Geemer · Generator · Ghost · Giant Goomba · Glice · Glire · Glunder · Goomba · Gordo · Hammer Bro · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kihunter · Koffing · Koopa Paratroopa · Koopa Troopa · Kritter · Lakitu and Spinies · Lethinium · Lurchthorn · Magikoopa · Mahva · Megonta · Metroid · Mettaur · Mimicutie · Mite · Monoeye · Nutski · Octorok · Orne · Parasol Waddle Dee · Peahat · Petilil · Plasma Wisp · Polar Bear · Pooka · Poppant · Reaper & Reapette · ReDead · Reo · Roturret · Shotzo · Shy Guy · Skuttler · Sneaky Spirit · Souflee · Spike Top · Starman · Stalfos · Tac · Tiki Buzz · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo · Zuree|
|Fighter||Yoshi (SSB · SSBM · SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU)|
|Stages||Super Happy Tree · Yoshi's Story · Yoshi's Island (SSBM) · Yoshi's Island (SSBB) · Woolly World|
|Enemies||Shy Guy · Fly Guy|
|Trophies, Stickers, and Spirits||Trophies (SSBM · SSBB · SSB4) · Stickers · Spirits|
|Music||Brawl · SSB4 · Ultimate|