Official art of a Super Leaf from Super Mario 3D World.
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Super Leaf|
|“||Picking up this item will cause your fighter to sprout raccoon ears and a tail.||”|
|—Super Smash Bros. 4 Official Site|
The Super Leaf made its debut in Super Mario Bros. 3 and has become a recurring item in later Mario games. Originally, it was a simple brown leaf; Super Mario 3D Land redesigned the item to appear as a striped brown leaf with small eyes, similar to other Mario powerups.
The Super Leaf allows the player to transform into various forms based on shape-shifting creatures from Japanese mythology. In Super Mario Bros. 3, the Super Leaf transforms Mario and Luigi into Raccoon Mario and Raccoon Luigi, respectively; in New Super Mario Bros. 2, it turns Luigi into Fox Luigi; in Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World, Mario and Luigi become Tanooki Mario and Kitsune Luigi upon grabbing one.
The Super Leaf forms allow the player to fly high if they ran fast enough (though only in 2D Super Mario games), slow their descent by waving their tail, and hit enemies and blocks by swinging their tail. Also, the Tanooki Mario and Kitsune Luigi forms allow the player to transform into statues (though only upon donning a Tanooki Suit in Super Mario Bros. 3 and through the use of a Statue Leaf in Super Mario 3D Land, which has the statue transformation replace the Ground Pound move).
The Super Leaf debuted in Super Smash Bros. 4 as a gear item. It gives the fighter raccoon ears and a tail, allowing them to float for about three seconds by holding the jump button in a similar manner to Peach and Daisy's floating ability; however, the fighter will still slowly descend. If the jump button is released before its time runs out, the player can reactivate it at any time by holding down the jump button again. While floating, a character can still perform all of their attacks as normal. It can not be used while in a helpless state, such as after many characters' up special moves.
In Ultimate, aerial attacks performed during the Super Leaf's float will never apply the new multiplier for short hop aerial attacks no matter how close to the floor the attacker is, much like Peach's aerials when done out of her float.
Super Leaves were mentioned in the Raccoon Mario trophy description.
- Super Leaf
- Transform into an adorable version of your normal self thanks to some raccoon ears and a fluffy tail. Unfortunately, you won't be able to fly through the air like Tanooki Mario—but you can hover for a bit by wiggling that tail. Hold the jump button while airborne to pull off this cute tactic.
- : Super Mario Bros. 3 (02/1990)
- : New Super Mario Bros. 2 (08/2012)
- This item gives you cute fuzzy ears and a tail. Remember, when it's just ears and a tail, he's Raccoon Mario – Tanooki Mario is the full suit. You won't be able to soar into the air like in Super Mario Bros. 3, but you can float by holding the jump button while in mid-air.
- : Super Mario Bros. 3 (08/1991)
- : New Super Mario Bros. 2 (08/2012)
Equipping the ChuChu, Princess Shokora, or Girl from Hajimari no Mori support spirits will give the player a Super Leaf at a start of a match.
|338||ChuChu||★||1||Super Leaf Equipped||Kirby Series|
|746||Princess Shokora||★||1||Super Leaf Equipped||Wario Land Series|
|1,156||Girl from Hajimari no Mori||★||1||Super Leaf Equipped||Hajimari no Mori|
Names in other languages
- At one point in time, it was considered to allow characters to attack with their tail, another feature the Super Leaf gives in the Mario games, though it was decided against before the final release of Super Smash Bros. 4.
- Characters that naturally have a tail will have a second tail upon picking up the Super Leaf. Conversely, the raccoon ears are not visible on characters that already have pointed ears (with Fox and Lucario being two examples), with the exception of Pichu.
- Although Luigi's Raccoon and Tanooki forms are Kitsune-themed (as of Super Mario 3D Land), Luigi gains raccoon ears and a tail instead of fox ones if he uses a Super Leaf, like every other character. Similarly, if he grabs 100 coins on Golden Plains, he turns golden instead of silver, unlike in New Super Mario Bros. 2.
- For unknown reasons, Meta Knight and Olimar cannot float with the Super Leaf and simultaneously perform aerials. This applies to Ness, Lucas and Mewtwo as well, but only in SSB4.
- Olimar's inability to attack while floating may be because if he could the Pikmin would have to spawn next to him in an unnatural manner.
- When a Mii Fighter grabs a Super Leaf, they will only gain raccoon ears if they are not wearing any headgear; if they are, then only the tail will appear.
- Bowser and Mr. Game & Watch can cancel the falling in their stall-then-fall down aerials by activating the Super Leaf float after initiating their down aerials.
- When Mario, Diddy Kong and Terry equip the Super Leaf and use a taunt that removes their hat, the ears stay on their hat instead of their head. The same applies to the Bunny Hood.