Official papier mâché model of Mr. Saturn from EarthBound.
|Article on WikiBound||Mr. Saturn|
Mr. Saturns are a race of creatures resident to Saturn Valley, and speak in their own eccentric dialect, involving the use of verbal tics such as "Zoom", "Boing", "Ding", or "Dakota" at the end of most sentences, as well as a distinctive font from the one used in the remainder of the games.
In EarthBound, they were captured by Master Belch, one of Giygas' henchmen. Once Master Belch is defeated by Ness and his party, the Mr. Saturn are freed and help Ness on his journey. They are shown to be surprisingly intelligent, as they assist Dr. Andonuts in making the Phase Distorter, allowing Ness to travel to the past and defeat Giygas. In Chapter 7 of Mother 3, the Mr. Saturn are captured and neutralized by the Pigmask Army with their Frightbots, with the goal of finding the location of one of the Seven Needles. Once freed by Lucas and his party, they reveal the location of the next Needle, found in Fire Mountain.
Mr. Saturn walks around the stage, pushing other items along with it. It also honks when making contact with an opponent. If thrown, it will deal very little damage and knockback, but it can be used repeatedly, as it does not disappear after one use. As an unconventional meteor smash, Mr. Saturn gives off a large amount of stun when it hits an opponent, making it great for combos. It also does a significant amount of shield damage—21 in Melee and 42 in Brawl. In Smash 4 and Ultimate, Mr. Saturn will always instantly break shields no matter how it is thrown, but can be perfect shielded as with other attacks.
Mr. Saturn can also be pulled out by using Vegetable, appearing with a chance of 1/300 in Melee, 1/128 in Brawl, and 1/116 in SSB4 and Ultimate.
In Brawl, the momentum of a projectile will affect the damage a character will receive; these are recorded in bounces.
In SSB4, damage varies based on distance. Projectiles thrown point-blank do more damage.
|Forward tilt throw||8%||5%||7–8%||3%||2%|
|Up tilt throw||7%||6%||7–9%||1%||1%|
|Down tilt throw||10%||8%||6%||3%||1%|
|Forward smash throw||11%||6%||8–10%||4%||2%|
|Up smash throw||11%||7%||8–10%||2%||1%|
|Down smash throw||13%||8%||8%||4%||2%|
|Aerial forward tilt throw||8%||5%||7–8%||3%||1%|
|Aerial up tilt throw||8%||7%||7–9%||1%||1%|
|Aerial down tilt throw||10%||7%||7–9%||3%||1%|
|Aerial forward smash throw||9%||6%||7–8%||3%||1%|
|Aerial up smash throw||10%||7%||7–9%||1%||1%|
|Aerial down smash throw||10%||7%||7–9%||3%||1%|
Note: A Mr. Saturn cannot be dropped while on the ground; the player will throw it instead.
As an item
Melee marks Mr. Saturn's debut as an item.
The following bonuses are related to Mr. Saturn:
|Mr. Saturn Fan||3000||Only item used was Mr. Saturn.|
|Mrs. Saturn||1500||Held a specific Mr. Saturn for 30 seconds or more.|
|Saturn Ringer||4000||Caught a Mr. Saturn thrown at the player.|
|Saturn Siblings||4000||Got 3 or more (individual) Mr. Saturns.|
- Mr. Saturn
- The origins of the Mr. Saturn race are unknown, but many believe they came from outer space. They reside in Saturn Valley and speak their own unique language. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mr. Saturn is just another item with which to pelt foes. These guys are laid back and not into fighting, so you can rest easy...or can you?
- EarthBound (6/95)
As an item
Mr. Saturn returns as an item.
- Mr. Saturn
- A creature from a race of unknown origin that speaks its own unique language. Some say they came from outer space, but the facts behind their appearance are wrapped in mystery. In Smash Bros., they'll wait a bit after appearing before wandering off on their own. They can be picked up and thrown at foes for minimal damage. Their shield-breaking properties are high.
- : EarthBound
- : Mother 3 (Japan Only)
- : EarthBound (Japan and US Only)
- : Mother 3 (Japan Only)
|Mr. Saturn||EarthBound||Carry Mr. Saturn|
|Mr. Saturn||Mother 3||Attack +7|
As an item
In Smash Tour
Mr. Saturn appears as a red item: when selected before a battle, it allows the user's attacks to break shields more easily.
A Mr. Saturn Smash is one of the possible battle types: in it, only Mr. Saturns appear as items.
- Mr. Saturn
- Mr. Saturns are curious beings that speak their own language. They might not look it, but they're scientific geniuses! In this game, they tend to go for a stroll around the battlefield. Throwing one at an enemy won't do much damage, but Mr. Saturn will take out a shield very easily.
- : EarthBound (06/1995)
- Mr. Saturns are curious beings that speak their own language. They might not look it, but they're scientific geniuses! In this game, they tend to just do their own thing, but you can throw them to deal...a bit of damage. They're good at breaking shields, though, and make adorable noises when they do!
- : EarthBound (1994 (JP))
- : Mother 3 (2006 (JP))
As an item
Mr. Saturn returns as an item again, functioning the same as before.
As a costume
|577||Mr. Saturn||★★★||1||Shield Damage ↑||EarthBound Series|
In addition to the above, equipping the Kafei, Pyoro, Old Man Lobber, or Dr. Lobe support spirits will give the player a Mr. Saturn at a start of their stock.
|213||Kafei||★★||1||Mr. Saturn Equipped||The Legend of Zelda Series|
|743||Pyoro||★★||1||Mr. Saturn Equipped||WarioWare Series|
|1,184||Old Man Lobber||★★||1||Mr. Saturn Equipped||The Legendary Starfy Series|
|1,216||Dr. Lobe||★★||1||Mr. Saturn Equipped||Big Brain Academy Series|
Names in other languages
|Russian||Господин Сатурн||Mr. Saturn|
- An interview with Shigesato Itoi reveals his perception of the Mr. Saturn as a "symbol of innocence", likely explaining their passive behavior as an item. Furthermore, its unorthodox honk is likely based on their unique dialect.
- Mr. Saturn is one of the only items that can't be eaten.
- A small Mr. Saturn sprite is hidden in the texture of the Metroid Assist Trophy from Brawl. It cannot be seen in-game.
- In Smash 4 and Ultimate, a Mr. Saturn thrown at a grounded opponent will sometimes have a meteor effect, though this doesn't occur until they are at 200% damage.
- At 150%, a thrown Mr. Saturn may trip the opponent.
- Mr. Saturn is the first non-playable character to appear in the panoramic banner.
- Mr. Saturn, Morgana and Slime are the only non-playable characters to appear in Ultimate's panoramic character artwork.
- Mr. Saturn was the 12th most-requested character to be added to the Super Smash Bros. Melee roster, with 18 votes, and the most requested from the MOTHER universe.
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Melee|
|Normal||Barrel Cannon · Beam Sword · Bob-omb · Bunny Hood · Cloaking Device · Fan · Fire Flower · Flipper · Food · Freezie · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Parasol · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Red Shell · Screw Attack · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Egg · Party Ball|
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Normal||Assist Trophy · Banana Peel · Beam Sword · Blast Box · Bob-omb · Bumper · Bunny Hood · Cracker Launcher · Deku Nut · Dragoon · Fan · Fire Flower · Food · Franklin Badge · Freezie · Golden Hammer · Gooey Bomb · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Hothead · Lightning Bolt · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Pitfall · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Screw Attack · Smart Bomb · Smash Ball · Smoke Ball · Soccer Ball · Spring · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Superspicy Curry · Team Healer · Timer · Unira · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Party Ball · Sandbag · Rolling Crates|
|Key · Stock Ball · Trophy Stand|
|Collectibles||CD · Coins · Sticker · Trophy|
|Other||Smash Coins and Bills|
|Red items||Back Shield · Black Knight · Bob-omb · Boo · Bunny Hood · Daisy (Baseball) · Darkrai · Dixie Kong · DK Barrel · Energy Tank · Franklin Badge · Hammer · Home-Run Bat · Kat & Ana · Latias & Latios · Magnus · Majora's Mask · Mecha-Fiora · Metal Box · Mr. Resetti · Mr. Saturn · Ore Club · Phosphora · Plasm Wraith · Poison Mushroom · Rocket Belt · Sidestepper · Steel Diver · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Ultimate Chimera · Wolfen · X Bomb|
|Blue items||Ashley · Boss Galaga · Bus to the City · Chain Chomp · Dillon · Doc Louis · Excitebike · Ghosts (Luigi's Mansion) · Great Fox · Isabelle · POW Block · Riki · Snorlax · Super Star · Tetra · Timmy & Tommy · Tingle · Yellow Wollywog · Zinger|
|Green items||Porky Minch · Proto Man · Substitute Doll|
|Random events||Banzai Bill · Flying Man · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kamek · Koffing · Metal Face · Metroid · Nabbit · Reaper · Ridley · Souflee · Tac · Yellow Devil|
|EarthBound (Mother) universe|
|Fighters||Ness (SSB · SSBM · SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU) · Lucas (SSBB · SSB4 · SSBU)|
|Assist Trophies||Jeff · Starman|
|Bosses||Porky Statue · Porky|
|Stages||Onett · Fourside · New Pork City · Magicant|
|Items||Mr. Saturn · Franklin Badge · Ramblin' Evil Mushroom|
|Enemies||Devil Car · Starman|
|Other||Boney · Flying Man · Kumatora · Paula · Poo · Rope Snake · Ultimate Chimera|
|Trophies, Stickers and Spirits||Trophies (SSBM · SSBB · SSB4) · Stickers · Spirits|
|Music||Brawl · SSB4 · Ultimate|