Official artwork of Nabbit from New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe.
|Debut||New Super Mario Bros. U (2012)|
|Smash Bros. appearances||SSB4 (Wii U)|
|Most recent non-Smash appearance||Super Mario Bros. Wonder (2023)|
|Console/platform of origin||Wii U|
|Place of origin||Mushroom Kingdom|
|Voice actor||Natsuko Yokoyama|
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Nabbit|
Nabbit (トッテン, Totten) is a recurring character from the Mario series.
Nabbit made his debut in New Super Mario Bros. U as an enemy and has become a recurring character in later Mario games. He is a purple rabbit-like character with large eyes who wears a white handkerchief with a drawing of a large mouth with sharpened teeth (not unlike the crudely-drawn counterpart that Bowser Jr. wears), black limbs, white gloves, and orange shoes. He is often seen carrying a large sack over his shoulder.
Nabbit is a thief who steals items from a Toad House. After completing some levels, a Toad asks the players to retrieve the items Nabbit had stolen. Nabbit then appears in a specific level in the first seven worlds where the players have the option to try and catch him within 100 seconds.
Nabbit quickly runs across the stage and can be stunned by sliding, fireballs, or Koopa Shells for two seconds. If the players catch him by the 100-second time limit, they will be rewarded by Toad with a P-Acorn. If the players fail to catch him three times, Nabbit flees and disappears until the conditions are met once more. Additionally, if the player waits after defeating all the enemies in an Enemy Course, and does not grab the power-up they receive as a reward, Nabbit will come in and swipe it.
Nabbit appears in New Super Luigi U, reprising his role from the original game, but also as a playable character. Unlike other playable characters, Nabbit cannot use power-ups, as any power-ups he collects are converted into 1-Ups at the end of the level. He also cannot ride Yoshis, or grab objects or other players. However, he is immune to damage from all enemy attacks (though he can still get knocked back by tougher enemies) and general hazards, with the exception of falling into a pit, lava, or poison, getting crushed by certain obstacles, or running out of time.
Nabbit makes another playable appearance in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, the Nintendo Switch port of the original game where he is now allowed into the original levels. He retains his properties from New Super Luigi U, and provides an additional 100 seconds to the timer; however, completing courses as Nabbit in singleplayer mode prevents the 100% completion of the game.
Nabbit returns again as a playable character in the Nintendo Switch title Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Once again, he is immune to enemy attacks but unable to use power-ups. However, he can use any badges in the game, and is now capable of riding on any Yoshis. Players are also no longer penalized by the game for completing courses as Nabbit. Nabbit himself also has a new voice actor in Super Mario Bros. Wonder, with Dawn M. Bennett replacing his previous voice actor, Natsuko Yokoyama (a sound engineer at Nintendo).
As a stage hazard
While on the stage, Nabbit chases fighters and tries to catch them with his bag. Once a fighter is caught, he attempts to blast off in a trail of smoke towards the upper blast line, much like the Beetle and Boss Galaga items. Nabbit is treated as a fighter, and is therefore vulnerable to attacks, grabs, and items, and like regular fighters, he can be knocked back further the more he has been damaged. He can be Inhaled by Kirby, but doing so provides no Copy ability, and he will instead turn into a star and take medium knockback.
In Smash Tour
Nabbit appears as a random event in Smash Tour. He moves along the map picking up any item he comes across, and whoever bumps into him retrieves his whole loot.
- An underhanded little rascal who steals items from the Toad Houses and runs away with them. If you can catch him, Toad might repay you with a nice present. In New Super Luigi U, he even manages to nab a position as a playable character! From burglar to hero in the blink of an eye... Not bad work, all things considered.
- : New Super Mario Bros. U (11/2012)
- : New Super Luigi U (06/2013)
As a stage hazard
Nabbit returns as a stage hazard in the returning Mushroom Kingdom U stage.
|64||Nabbit||★★||1||Item Gravitation||Super Mario Series|
In other languages
- In early revisions of the game, there was a glitch where players could cause Nabbit to get "stuck" to themselves if they grabbed and threw him and paused in Training Mode. In doing so, Nabbit would no longer move, and he could be transferred to character to character via throwing other characters, in a manner similar to Melee's soul breaker glitch. This glitch was ultimately patched out in version 1.0.6. This glitch, however, returned in a similar fashion in Ultimate before being patched out in the aforementioned game in an update.
- There is a similar glitch where the player is using Captain Falcon's Falcon Dive or Ganondorf's Dark Dive on Nabbit while paused in Training Mode. However it also makes the player stuck in a "box" functioning similar how the Box glitch does, in order the player to get outside of the "box" the player has to grab all Dragoon pieces and fire, this allows the player to transfer him by grabbing and throwing from character to character. Unlike the above glitch, this has not been patched out.
- In for Wii U, Nabbit's voice clips were viewable in the Sound Test under the "Enemies" section (alongside Metal Face, Master Hand, and Crazy Hand). However, this did not carry over to Ultimate for unknown reasons.
|Red items||Back Shield · Black Knight · Bob-omb · Boo · Bunny Hood · Daisy (Baseball) · Darkrai · Dixie Kong · DK Barrel · Energy Tank · Franklin Badge · Hammer · Home-Run Bat · Kat & Ana · Latias & Latios · Magnus · Majora's Mask · Mecha-Fiora · Metal Box · Mr. Resetti · Mr. Saturn · Ore Club · Phosphora · Plasm Wraith · Poison Mushroom · Rocket Belt · Sidestepper · Steel Diver · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Ultimate Chimera · Wolfen · X Bomb|
|Blue items||Ashley · Boss Galaga · Bus to the City · Chain Chomp · Dillon · Doc Louis · Excitebike · Ghosts (Luigi's Mansion) · Great Fox · Isabelle · POW Block · Riki · Snorlax · Super Star · Tetra · Timmy & Tommy · Tingle · Yellow Wollywog · Zinger|
|Green items||Porky Minch · Proto Man · Substitute Doll|
|Random events||Banzai Bill · Flying Man · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kamek · Koffing · Metal Face · Metroid · Nabbit · Reaper · Ridley · Souflee · Tac · Yellow Devil|