|Universe||Super Smash Bros.|
|“||Since this is small, anybody can carry it. Break it open to reveal what's inside.||”|
|—Super Smash Bros. instruction booklet description|
The Capsule (カプセル, Capsule) is an item that appears in the games of the Super Smash Bros. series. This item is relatively small and when thrown it releases a different item. If thrown at an opponent, it can also KO them if they are sufficiently weakened. It has a 12.5% chance of exploding when opened.
When a capsule is broken, by being either attacked or thrown, it will usually drop a single item regardless of its size, excluding Crates, Barrels, and Rolling Crates. It has a 12.5% chance of exploding upon being broken, which can deal 22-42% damage with high knockback, so caution is advised. It is more likely to explode if all other items are turned off. In Melee, it may also hold common enemies from Adventure Mode. King Dedede has a small chance of throwing a capsule with Waddle Dee Toss, even with the item frequency set to none (though not if containers are directly turned off). If King Dedede is holding a capsule and uses Waddle Dee Toss, the capsule will be thrown.
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a player who throws an exploding capsule downwards seems invulnerable to it and no longer takes damage unlike previous titles, which increases its safety.
|Dash attack throw||14%||17%||17%||17%||20%|
|Dash attack throw explosion||44%||40%||17%||44%||52%|
|Up tilt throw||10%||15%||15%||17%||17%|
|Up tilt throw explosion||40%||36%||43%||44%||47%|
|Forward tilt throw||9%||16%||14%||14%||17%|
|Forward tilt throw explosion||39%||37%||14%||40%||50%|
|Down tilt throw||N/A||17%||N/A||18%||N/A|
|Down tilt throw explosion||N/A||39%||22%||42%||N/A|
|Forward smash throw||13%||19%||18%||19%||21%|
|Explosion forward smash throw||43%||40%||44%||45%||53%|
|Up smash throw||14%||15%||19%||20%||21%|
|Up smash throw explosion||44%||36%||47%||48%||54%|
|Down smash throw||N/A||20%||N/A||22%||N/A|
|Down smash throw explosion||N/A||43%||22%||46%||N/A|
|Air throw explosion||41%||38%||41%||42%||49%|
|Air Drop Explosion||N/A||30%||39%||39%||42%|
|Air up tilt throw||13%||14%||14%||16%||17&|
|Air up tilt throw explosion||43%||37%||39%||44%||48%|
|Air down tilt throw||13%||17%||14%||14%||17%|
|Air down tilt throw explosion||43%||39%||39%||39%||48%|
|Air forward smash throw||14%||17%||15%||15%||21%|
|Air forward smash throw explosion||44%||38%||41%||42%||53%|
|Air up smash throw||14%||14%||14%||17%||17%|
|Air up smash throw explosion||44%||37%||39%||44%||48%|
|Air down smash throw||15%||17%||14%||14%||17%|
|Air down smash throw explosion||45%||39%||39%||42%||48%|
While the design of the Capsule is original to the Smash series, it is based on the real world item of the same name. Capsules, commonly known as Gashapon, are usually dispensed from a vending machine and contain a random prize on the inside. This prize is usually a small toy or figure.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee
- These small containers contain items that fly out when the Capsules break. Capsules will explode roughly 12.5% of the time, so deciding when and where to break them can be quite a strategic decision; sometimes, it's better to throw them rather than attacking them directly. Explosive Capsules pack a tremendous punch.
- Super Smash Bros. (4/99)
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- A small item filled with...items. Break it open to get what's inside. However, there's a 12.5 percent chance that a capsule will contain explosives, so it's important to think about where you're throwing the capsule to break it open. You won't find crates or barrels in capsules, but you may find capsules within barrels and crates.
- : Super Smash Bros.
- : Super Smash Bros. Brawl
In Super Smash Bros. 4
- This tiny capsule can hold one item inside it, no matter how massive that one item may be. How does it do that? No idea! But all you have to do to get the prize is break the capsule. It's possible for these things to explode, so it's best to break it against walls or opponents. They won't be upset. Maybe.
- : Super Smash Bros. (04/1999)
- : Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- These little capsules are only big enough to hold one item (regardless of how large that item turns out to be...), and to get at it, just break it open! One thing to keep in mind, though, is that capsules sometimes explode when you throw them. Dangerous, right? So, to make sure you stay safe, just throw them at your enemies!
- : Super Smash Bros. (11/1999)
- : Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
The redesigned Capsules in Super Smash Bros. 4.
Names in other languages
|Items in Super Smash Bros. (64)|
|Normal||Beam Sword · Bob-omb · Bumper · Fan · Fire Flower · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Maxim Tomato · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Red Shell · Star Rod · Starman|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Egg|
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Melee|
|Normal||Barrel Cannon · Beam Sword · Bob-omb · Bunny Hood · Cloaking Device · Fan · Fire Flower · Flipper · Food · Freezie · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Parasol · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Red Shell · Screw Attack · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Egg · Party Ball|
|Items in Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Normal||Assist Trophy · Banana Peel · Beam Sword · Blast Box · Bob-omb · Bumper · Bunny Hood · Cracker Launcher · Deku Nut · Dragoon · Fan · Fire Flower · Food · Franklin Badge · Freezie · Golden Hammer · Gooey Bomb · Green Shell · Hammer · Heart Container · Home-Run Bat · Hothead · Lightning Bolt · Lip's Stick · Maxim Tomato · Metal Box · Motion-Sensor Bomb · Mr. Saturn · Pitfall · Poison Mushroom · Poké Ball · Ray Gun · Screw Attack · Smart Bomb · Smash Ball · Smoke Ball · Soccer Ball · Spring · Star Rod · Starman · Super Mushroom · Super Scope · Superspicy Curry · Team Healer · Timer · Unira · Warp Star|
|Containers||Barrel · Capsule · Crate · Party Ball · Sandbag · Rolling Crates|
|Key · Stock Ball · Trophy Stand|
|Collectibles||CD · Coins · Sticker · Trophy|
|Other||Smash Coins and Bills|