The Subspace Army (亜空軍 Subspace Army) is the antagonistic force of the Subspace Emissary mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Headed by the Ancient Minister and under the guidance of Tabuu, its aim is to expand Subspace using Subspace Bombs and to transport areas of the World of Trophies into it. Most of the enemies the player faces in the Subspace Emissary are members of the Subspace Army.
Some members of the Subspace Army, such as Poppants and Mites, appear as enemies in the Smash Run mode of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, with most also having corresponding trophies. However, they do not have any specific plot-related roles in the game. Some members of the Subspace Emissary such as Tabuu, Primids, Mites, Duon, and the Ancient Minister appear as spirits in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. In addition, Galleom returns as a boss.
- Tabuu is the embodiment of Subspace and the mastermind behind the army. With his Chains of Light, he controls Master Hand like a puppet to use as a cover to manipulate the antagonists into his bidding. Only the Ancient Minister knows about Tabuu.
- Ganondorf is the general of the army, leading the majority of their forces to taking over the World of Trophies and is also responsible for enslaving the Isle of the Ancients. Despite his loyalties, Ganondorf acts with his own agenda to usurp Master Hand's rule.
- Bowser is the field commander of the army and leader of the Koopa Troop. In contrast to Ganondorf's more administrative role, Bowser prefers catching fighters, as well as using his personal force of Koopa Troopas to take on large assignments, such as assaulting King Dedede's castle. He was the only fighter to be truly loyal to Master Hand, expressing sadness to see him defeated. On the other hand, he dislikes Ganondorf, especially when the latter betrayed him.
- The Ancient Minister is the leader of the R.O.B. Squad, whose primary task is manufacturing and deploying Subspace Bombs around the world. However, he is subject to Ganondorf. After being shot many times by R.O.B.s controlled by Ganondorf, his robe was burned, showing his true identity as R.O.B.
- Wario is a relatively low-ranking member who's only assigned to capture fighters, having no loyalty to the army.
- Prior to the opening, King Dedede attacked the Halberd at the same time Tabuu's forces did, preventing Meta Knight from defending the ship. While there is no evidence Dedede worked for the army at any time, it's possible he was tricked by them into attacking the Halberd as a diversion, or he simply wanted a friendly duel against Meta Knight and was unaware of what was happening.
The Subspace Army consists of a number of enemies, the Primids chief among them. These enemies are created from Shadow Bugs, which are dropped from the Halberd. The Subspace Army also controls the floating Isle of the Ancients and the Subspace Gunship.
The army's weapons, equipment, and troops are almost all stolen or copied. Mr. Game & Watch was used to create Shadow Bugs, which were then used to create a massive army as well as false characters. Samus's Power Suit was apparently stolen and Pikachu was used as a power supply. The Dark Cannon is the most powerful handheld weapon used by the army and these were distributed among its fighter accomplices.
The following were deployed in areas where they could do maximum damage and were used in cases where the army's standard troops would not be enough.
Primids are the Subspace Army's standard troops formed from clumps of Shadow Bugs. Their modest strength is made up for by large numbers. Specialization is also present, as there are:
Boom Primids (Primids armed with boomerangs)
Fire Primids (Primids that can breathe fire)
Big Primids (Primids that are three times as large as normal Primids)
In addition to their role as workers and bomb detonators, multiple types of R.O.B. defend the Isle of the Ancients:
Bowser commands a group of creatures from his own universe, composed of:
Other enemies found throughout the game, listed in order of the first level they appear, include:
In addition to sending troops at their foes, the Subspace Army is more than willing to set up some devious devices in their bid to conquer the world: