A Shaydas hovering over Link, with its blades drawn.
|Super Smash Bros.
|Level(s) appears in
|The Lake Shore
Outside the Ancient Ruins
The Glacial Peak
Battleship Halberd Interior
Subspace Bomb Factory I
The Great Maze
They are large black amalgamations of Shadow Bugs with two jointed heads and long, two-ended blades on either arm. They lack any facial feature, except for very small bright eyes - although their appearance roughly reminds two slim, conjoined twins.
Their body has a peculiar trait as well: a sort of "core" at its center, a bright red, glowing orb. This core is described as their weak point.
Shaydas always levitate and never touch the ground.
In the Subspace Emissary
Shaydas levitate and can move across the ground quickly in order to chase the player. Their moves have wide hitboxes.
Shaydas have four main methods of attacking:
- A slow, extremely powerful blade cross. This move is their slowest and most predictable attack, but has a large hitbox and wide range. It can deal up to 44% on Intense.
- A double slash. One of their most frequently used attack, and has a very swift execution and decent range. It could be used more times in a row in some situations or followed up by a blade cross. It can deal up to 28% on Intense.
- A twirl. It is their least frequently used attack and is mainly used when they attempt to leave—typically when the player is too far from them. It is very slow and only deals damage at the end of the twirl and deals slightly less damage than a double slash. If it hits and the player is in front of them, it will quickly follow up with a double slash, albeit without its glowing trails.
While Shaydas are barely scratched by most attacks, attacks deal double damage to them while they are in a vulnerable stance, except for Grass, Slash (both deal 1.6× damage), and Indirect attacks (which deal base damage). Attacking them at this time is the best way to defeat them. Although their trophy description states that the core is their weak point, hitting any part of them while they are open while preparing to attack, indicated by their core growing larger, will deal high damage, while they will resist damage heavily when not vulnerable, regardless of where they are hit.
Shaydas usually appear in caves, although they can rarely be fought on open stages.
- An odd enemy with two heads. Its legs might suggest that it's a beast of some sort, but in actuality, a Shaydas is formed by swarms of Shadow Bugs. Maybe that's why recklessly attacking it will do no good--you must strike its pink core to defeat it. Just watch out for the giant blades that it brings to the party. Mind the blades, and pick your attacks wisely!
- : Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Names in other languages
- Shaydas bears a resemblance to Master Core from Super Smash Bros. 4, as both have particles called the "Swarm".