The Lake Shore
|World of Trophies
The Lake Shore
Bowser and his false character counterpart standing over the trophified Peach.
|Super Smash Bros.
|Subspace Emissary only
|Preceding SSE stage
|The Research Facility (Part I)
|Following SSE stage
|The Path to the Ruins
The Lake Shore (湖畔, Lake Shore) is the eleventh stage of the Subspace Emissary.
The level starts off with Kirby noticing something in the far distance and accidentally leaving either Zelda or Peach behind. The princess calls out to stop him, to no avail. Before the princess has a chance to go after him, Bowser comes with a Dark Cannon, surprises her and, with no chance to react or call for Kirby to help her, Bowser fires and turns Zelda/Peach into a trophy while Kirby runs in the far distance unaware of the princess' trophification. A false Bowser appears, dissolves into Shadow Bugs and creates a false version of the princess. Upon that, Mario and Pit or Link and Yoshi (depending on which princess was turned into a trophy earlier), are seen running along the lake. Up on a hill, the false princess aims at the duo with a Dark Cannon, but her Dark Cannon is destroyed by Pit or Link, who slices it in half. The cannon destroyer is then joined by his partner and the duo then prepare to fight the clone. A battle between either Mario and Pit and the false Zelda or Link and Yoshi and the false Peach will commence.
After the battle, Mario or Link see the false princess dissolve and mistakes the clone as the real one. Upon the confusion, Mario or Link runs up the hill and attacks Link or Mario to avenge their respective lovers and a battle between the quartet ensues. Upon defeat, the team who was not controlled by the player will be reduced to their trophy forms. King Dedede appears in Wario's Cargo, carrying the trophies of Ness, Luigi, and one of the princesses; the latter of which is spotted by Mario/Link. King Dedede grabs the team of Mario and Pit or Link and Yoshi. When he successfully grabs them, Kirby appears and cuts the arm off the Cargo using Final Cutter and releases Mario and Pit or Link and Yoshi from their trophy forms. Then King Dedede turns around and drives straight into the group. Link or Pit will shoot an arrow at the Cargo and it falls apart, heading straight toward The Cave. The group of Mario, Pit, Link, Yoshi, and Kirby run near the Cargo, which starts the next part of the level. After that part of the level is complete, the group comes upon an entrance to a cave.
In the epilogue of the level, Ganondorf is shown in a control room. He then gives Bowser coordinates on where to find King Dedede's castle via computer screen.
Playable for the full level if Zelda was rescued, but only playable for the sidescrolling segments if Peach was rescued:
Playable for the full level if Peach was rescued, but only playable for the sidescrolling segments if Zelda was rescued:
Only playable for the sidescrolling segments:
Zelda/Peach is removed due to being turned into a trophy by Bowser.
New combined group:
- False Peach or False Zelda (depending on which one the player saved)
- Mario & Pit or Link & Yoshi (depending on which princess the player saved)
- During the False Princess battle, Castle/Boss Fortress (Super Mario World/SMB 3) plays.
- During the Mario & Pit vs. Link & Yoshi battle, Battlefield plays.
- After the five heroes join, Step: The Plain plays.
- After the heroes find Dedede's hideout, Step: The Cave plays.
- This is one of two levels to feature a hidden door. The entrance to the cave section appears to be an opening in a rock face, when in fact entering this section is triggered by an ordinary door, hidden underneath the stage, with an extended area of interaction.
- This is the only level where the player can only pick two characters after completion, and it's also the only stage with an artificial intelligence partner in single player mode.
- After completing the Subspace Emissary, players can change the beginning fights of this stage by revisiting Midair Stadium and rescuing the other princess. However, this will not unlock alternate cutscenes and can only be done so on a new file.
- It is unknown why the fight of Link and Yoshi vs Mario and Pit was not stopped by Mario and Yoshi considering the fact that they share a family-like bond and should be able to work out the situation.