Subspace (Part I)
King Dedede, Luigi and Ness in Subspace.
|Universe||Super Smash Bros.|
|Availability||Subspace Emissary only|
|Preceding SSE stage||Entrance to Subspace|
|Following SSE stage||Subspace (Part II)|
Subspace (Part I) (亜空間, Subspace) is the 29th stage that appears in the Subspace Emissary. The player initially takes control of King Dedede, Luigi or Ness. As the player travels through Subspace, they will collect trophies of many of the other characters that were made into trophies by Tabuu.
As Ganondorf hails Master Hand, he realizes that Tabuu is controlling Master Hand with his Chains of Light, stabbed into all five knuckles and in the middle of the back of the hand, and rushes at him using Dark Dive, but Tabuu thwarts his attack and knocks him away. As Ganondorf falls, he breaks the Chains of Light and frees Master Hand, who rushes at Tabuu. Unfortunately, sheer rage is not enough and Tabuu defeats Master Hand effortlessly. The heroes (except Wolf, Sonic, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, King Dedede, Ness, and Luigi) then arrive at the scene, only for Tabuu to use his Off Waves to turn them into trophies.
Back at King Dedede's castle, Luigi, Ness, and King Dedede are stuck in their trophy forms until the Dedede Brooches, however, revive Luigi and Ness. Afterwards, they decide to revive Dedede and the trio set off to find the rest of the fighters. After the heroes have rescued Mario, Pit, Marth, Ike, Lucas, the Pokémon Trainer, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Olimar, Samus, Pikachu, Fox, Falco, and Mr. Game & Watch, they are just about to enter the Great Maze until Dedede notices Bowser's trophy. He revives him and then the two kings fight as the other two heroes in the back anxiously watch. After Bowser is reduced to his trophy form again, King Dedede revives him once more. Only this time, Dedede smacks Bowser in the nose, which angers the latter, but Dedede points to the defeated Master Hand, which upsets Bowser when he notices since he was the only one truly loyal to Master Hand, and makes him finally realize what is going on and Dedede recruits him to his team to defeat Tabuu.
Playable for the whole level:
- King Dedede (Joins team after level)
Playable for whole level except for Bowser battle:
- Samus - This trophy is found before the first door the player enters.
- Pit - This trophy is found in a door next to Samus. It can be found by going into the first door on the right after going in.
- Falco - On a platform a little higher to the left of Pit.
- Lucas - This trophy is found on a platform directly above Falco and Pit, and it is guarded by Trowlons.
- Ike - Enter the door next to Lucas and go to the left.
- Donkey Kong - This trophy is found on a platform northeast of Ike.
- Pokémon Trainer - This trophy is found in a door surrounded by bomb blocks northwest of Donkey Kong.
- Pikachu - This trophy is found to the left of Pokémon Trainer, but it has to be grabbed quickly, before the bomb blocks give way.
- Marth - This trophy is found northeast of Donkey Kong.
- Fox - Enter the door to the left of Marth, and it is guarded by a ring of Quark Mines.
- Olimar - To the left of Fox.
- Mr. Game & Watch - This trophy is found inside a door to the right of Marth. It is the first one to the right, blocked by some bomb blocks.
- Diddy Kong - In a door to the left of Mr. Game & Watch.
- Captain Falcon - To the right of Diddy Kong.
- Mario - This trophy is found in a door below Captain Falcon. It is the last trophy found in this level.
- A cutscene occurs and as King Dedede, the player has to beat Bowser in a Brawl match. Bowser, Luigi, Ness, and King Dedede join the player's team.
All the characters that Luigi, Ness and King Dedede recovered in the level return to the team. Bowser also joins the team after the battle with King Dedede, as he realizes Tabuu is the true enemy.
Characters that return if they are saved:
- Donkey Kong
- Pokémon Trainer
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Diddy Kong
- Captain Falcon
List of enemies
- Big Primid
- Giant Bytan
- Quark Mine
- Zap Jyk
- For the first part of the level, Step: Subspace plays.
- In the second half of the level, Step: Subspace Ver.2 plays.
- During the fight against Bowser, Giga Bowser (Melee) plays.
- Immediately after this stage is completed, the player may not replay any of the stages that are set on the Battleship Halberd or on the Isle of Ancients due to the destruction of the Halberd from the Subspace Gunship and the numerous Subspace Bombs that were detonated on the Isle of Ancients.
- It is possible that the ground in this area is made of absorbent substances, as once Master Hand is defeated, the portion of his blood that had splattered on the ground immediately disappears into it.
- This stage and The Great Maze are the only Subspace Emissary stages not to contain an ambush.