Kirby's Final Smash in Brawl.
|Article on WiKirby||Cook|
|“||Whip out a big pot that sucks in enemies and items. After boiling everything, the pot explodes, blasts away enemies, and leaves behind a few items.||”|
|—Brawl's instruction manual|
Kirby puts on a chef's hat and clangs a spatula & frying pan, and nearly everything within a limited radius is drawn into the cauldron to stew. After a short while, the characters that are sucked in and various items, mostly food items, are launched upward, causing about 24% and relatively weak knockback that may not generally KO those under 100%, though this can be helped by using the move closer to the blast lines. Its true strength is in its decent range against multiple foes, and the helpful items it produces.
This Final Smash also has the potential drawback of allowing those hit by the attack to use the items that come out with them. The other drawback is, if Kirby leaves any opponents out on the stage, they normally get first pick of the items that fall, because the others are sent out of the pot whilst Kirby poses to show the cooking is finished and cannot move until every item is spawned. Thus, Kirby sometimes cannot use the better items or destroy them before another player can. However, this may only be penalizing when a huge amount of items come out of the pot.
The more damage enemies have, the harder it is to avoid (i.e. if Kirby vs. Link, with Link at 200%+ damage, he will be sucked into the pot easier and from a farther distance). Cook Kirby can also suck in enemies through impassable walls, floors, stairs, etc.
The number of items produced by the pot and the damage players get is dependent on the number of things that get sucked into it; if nothing can be absorbed, nothing will come out. A character with a move that quickly produces objects (such as Pikmin Pluck or Fox's Blaster) can feed so many things into the pot that it can "max out," stopping it from sucking up anything else. A maximum of 30 items can be produced.
There is a chance that the Final Smash will produce only one kind of items (for example, only Bob-ombs); if this occurs, the move will not produce more items than the game can allow (if only Poké Balls are produced, only a maximum of three will appear even if more than three items are sucked in). If all items save for Smash Balls are disabled in a match, then the attack will not produce any items and will generally be rather pointless unless Kirby's opponents all have high enough damage.
There are many ways to avoid this Final Smash. Most of these require precise timing. The player can avoid it by:
- Becoming intangible, through air dodging, sidestepping, or grabbing a ledge when timed correctly.
- Performing a well-timed transformation:
- Performing a counter:
- Executing certain moves:
- Reaching the object limit:
- Olimar can continuously use Pikmin Pluck to avoid the attack. The Pikmin will fly into the pot as they are pulled out, but this requires rapid button mashing.
- Fox can feed the Final Smash several Blaster shots until it maxes out.
- Items that produce projectiles in fast succession, like the Cracker Launcher can also be used.
In Ultimate, this move does not appear in Kirby's moveset, but Chef Kawasaki uses a similar move due to his identical abilities in the Kirby series.
- Cook Kirby
- Kirby in chef's garb. When Kirby throws on his chef's hat, a giant pot appears in the center of the screen. All characters, items, and even long-distance weapons are sucked into the pot. Once they've simmered a bit, food items equal to the number of things in the pot appear. Characters in the mix get blasted straight up out of the pot.
- Kirby in chef's garb. When Kirby throws on his chef's hat, a giant pot appears in the center of the screen. Characters, items, and even long-distance weapons are sucked into the pot. Once they've simmered a bit, food items equal to the number of things in the pot appear. Characters in the mix get blasted straight up out of the pot.
- : Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|instruction booklet||Whip out a big pot that sucks in enemies and items. After boiling everything, the pot explodes, blasts away enemies, and leaves behind a few items.|
The move is based on Kirby's Cook Copy Ability that debuted in Kirby Super Star, usually obtained by defeating Chef Kawasaki, other than via the enemy Cookin from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror. While not able to damage bosses like other one-time-use powers, it was able to suck in all enemies that appear on-screen to turn them into healing food items. In Kirby Star Allies, Chef Kawasaki, now a playable Friend, is able to perform the same move that Kirby does. This Final Smash also reflects Kirby's love for food, as he usually eats up enemies and gobbles food along his journeys, and has even been traveling to a mountain filled with gourmet goods in Kirby Super Star's sub-game, Gourmet Race.
Names in other languages
- On the Japanese version of the Smash Bros. DOJO!!, the post for this move featured a song (Shaberu! DS Oryouri NAVI); from a Japan/PAL-only game. Nonetheless, the song is obtainable in all versions of the game as an unlockable track in the PictoChat stage.
- If the outcome is all lightning, every lightning bolt will have the same effect, regardless of the user.
- If one grabs an Assist Trophy in midair and Kirby initiates the Final Smash in midair at the same time, all characters and items will get sucked in and Kirby will constantly bang his utensils nonstop until the game ends. Video can be seen here.
- If Kirby has Olimar's ability when he uses the Final Smash, he will still have the nose on. Kirby will also keep Snake's beard, R.O.B.'s face/lenses, Donkey Kong's fur, Mr. Game & Watch's color and Falco's beak.
- Unlike Kirby Super Star, Kirby's pot in Super Smash Bros. Brawl has a fork and a spoon on it.
- These details would later be added on Kirby's pot in Kirby Super Star Ultra, and all subsequent appearances in the Kirby series.
- Even if an item can't be inhaled, such as a Mr. Saturn, it can still go in the pot.
- Although this Final Smash did not return after Brawl, Chef Kawasaki uses this move as an Assist Trophy.