During the Final Smash, Luigi performs a strange dance, and a large void, the Negative Zone, surrounds him. Inside the Negative Zone, all colours are inverted, and the view is distorted. Opponents caught in the Negative Zone will be randomly inflicted with several negative status effects. Luigi dances and chants for the first few seconds of the Final Smash, and then can move around freely while the Negative Zone lingers, and is unaffected by it. Once Luigi stops dancing, the Negative Zone becomes independent from him, and will not vanish if he is KOd. Using this move while over the edge may result in an SD, as Luigi slowly falls (and the zone sinks with him) during the dance, and no actions can be inputted in this time. Fire Jump Punch can be used to a great extent, and easily KOs characters in the Zone. Even after the Final Smash ends, some of the effects will still linger for a bit, such as opponents being put to sleep, flowered, or made dizzy. Unlike other Final Smashes, Luigi's Final Smash completely ignores invincibility and intangibility. If the player with Luigi was under Manaphy's Heart Swap and switches back, the player with Luigi will be affected by Negative Zone and the other opponent won't be affected. One can escape the Negative Zone simply by rolling out, but this is difficult due to the slowdown, and fighters constantly being put to sleep or made dizzy.
List of effects
- Attacks deal 0.2x damage.
- Affected fighters receive 1.36x knockback, making a lot of Luigi's moves (such as his Smash attacks and Fire Jump Punch) effective finishers even at very low percentages.
- Increased likelihood of tripping, and random tripping even when standing or walking.
- Flower growth on head, which causes damage.
- Dizziness as if their shield broke (this can happen to aerial characters, which may KO them if they are not above a platform).
- Uncontrollable taunting.
- Sudden sleepiness, albeit not for long.
- Timeslow effect.
- Negative Zone
- Luigi's Final Smash. As exotic music plays, he performs a dance befitting a sorcerous incantation. A barrier envelops him, negatively impacting all in his area. Random effects include getting launched, sleeping, moving in slow motion, tripping, fainting, and losing attack power. This technique is a reflection of the dark side he embraced in his brother's shadow.
- Luigi's Final Smash. As exotic music plays, he performs a dance befitting a sorcerous incantation. A barrier envelops him, negatively impacting all in his area. Random effects include getting launched, sleeping, moving in slow motion, tripping, fainting, and losing attack power. In contrast to the oddness of the dance, this is a terribly powerful Final Smash.
- : Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Negative Zone is one of the Final Smashes that can be affected by the Bridge of Eldin. Using it where the gaping hole is right when the bridge reappears has a small effect on the move. The Final Smash will activate, but Luigi fails to do the dance done in the first half of the duration of the move. This can provide an advantage to Luigi, as the player will be able to control Luigi the whole time and have more time to attack opponents and deal damage.
The move is unique to Super Smash Bros. Brawl. However, the name may be a reference to Luigi always being in his brother's shadow (as mentioned in the move's trophy description), as Luigi was originally just a palette swap of Mario for player 2.
Names in other languages
|Japanese||ネガティブゾーン, Negative Zone|
|Korean||내거티브존, Negative Zone|
- If one faces a CPU Luigi and he uses Negative Zone, he will almost always spam his Fireballs, even if his AI is set to Level 9. The CPU will start to use different attacks after the circle begins fading out.
- Like many Final Smashes, Luigi isn't affected by water terrain while dancing. However, if he starts to sink into the water, the Negative Zone follows him.
- If hacks are used to enable multiple Negative Zones to be active at once, the inverted colours will cancel out, leaving things their normal colour in the overlapping region, although distortion is still applied.
- If a character is Star KO'd or Screen KO'd while under the slow motion effect, the animation will be slowed down as well.
- The tumbling effect can be lethal on stages like Bridge of Eldin, where the revival platform may not appear over a platform a character can stand on. Characters affected will fall to their deaths.
- Although this Final Smash does not return in later games, Ashley's Assist Trophy effect functions in a similar way.