Super Dragon in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
|Article on Super Mario Wiki||Winged Yoshi|
Yoshi grows wings and takes off. In this state he can fly freely, and deals 8%/3% damage to opponents by simply touching them. Pressing either attack button makes Yoshi shoot high-knockback fireballs that do 17% in Brawl and in Smash 4 it deals 18% early on before decreasing to 14% and eventually 12%. In Brawl the fireballs immediately explode on contact with a player, while in Smash 4 they can pass through multiple players. If no buttons are pushed for about three/two seconds, Yoshi will start to breathe a continuous stream of fire. In Brawl Yoshi breathes out a flame every 6 frames (0.1 seconds) and deals 6% each hit, while in Smash 4 Yoshi creates a flame every 12 frames (0.2 seconds) and deals 6% close-up, 4% at midrange, and 3% at the furthest points. This Final Smash lasts about 20 seconds and Yoshi is invincible for its entire duration.
|instruction booklet||Sprout wings and fly. Yoshi will spew fire on his own, but you can launch fireballs on command with any attack button.|
|case foldout||Sprout wings, and spit big fireballs with .|
- Super Dragon
- Yoshi with wings on his back that give him the power to fly freely across the sky. In this state, he can spew giant fireballs. He is more mobile and powerful, but the inertia makes movement quirky, so it takes some skill to master flight. Yoshi returns to a normal state after a set period of time has passed.
- : Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Super Dragon
- Wings sprout from Yoshi's back, and he transforms into a super-cool dragon! While transformed, Yoshi is invincible and will constantly breathe fire. He can also ram into foes and shoot fireballs at them. The fireballs are great for launching foes and most powerful when used at close range.
- A pair of wings appear on Yoshi's back, turning him into an angelic dragon. While the Final Smash is active, he can fly freely through the air, and is invincible to boot. He constantly breathes fire, can ram into opponents, and can also shoot fireballs that deal a lot of damage and have great launching power, especially at close range.
This move is based on the various powers that Yoshi could obtain in Super Mario World by holding Koopa shells in his mouth, depending on the color of the Koopa shell. Holding a Blue Shell gives Yoshi wings and allows him to fly, holding a Red Shell allows him to spit it out as fireballs, holding a Yellow Shell makes him create mini-earthquakes each time he lands, and holding a flashing shell allows Yoshi to do all three. Super Dragon is presumably based off of this last effect, although the mini-earthquakes are not present and Yoshi can breathe fire or spit fireballs as many times as he wishes while the Final Smash is in effect. In Super Mario World, Yoshis of a color other than green gain the power given by the corresponding shell color while holding any shell; this does not happen in Smash.
The name comes from Super Mario World as well: In the Japanese version the message block at Yoshi's House is signed "Super Dragon Yoshi"; this is changed to simply "Yoshi" in localized versions. In the GBA remake, once the game has been completed the message block changes to one signed by "Super Dragon Yoshi" in all versions.
Names in other languages
|Japanese||スーパードラゴン, Super Dragon|
|Spanish (PAL)||Súper Dragón|
- The confirmation of Yoshi's Final Smash on Smash Bros. DOJO!! is one of the few updates that has been edited at least once. Originally, the first part of the update read:
- It’s tough to know what to call Yoshi—some call him a dragon, others a dinosaur. Some people don’t know WHAT he is. But whatever you call him, Yoshi’s true power will be seen here!
- Somewhere between January 9 and April 30, 2008, it was changed to:
- Yoshi soars through the air spouting bursts of flame, behavior reminiscent of the legendary tricolor Yoshi.
- In the Brawl Super Dragon trophy, Yoshi lacks his saddle.
- Notably, this is the only time an adult Yoshi is seen in an official game without a saddle.