Friend icons are images depicting characters or symbols which identify players in the online modes of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. 4, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Some of them are available from the start, while others are unlocked automatically along characters or by fulfilling other conditions.
Friend icons are used to identify players in the Friend roster of the With Friends Wi-Fi mode. The default Friend Icon, which also appears next to the names of unregistered players, is the symbol of a figure in a circle.
The available icons are:
- the default symbol, a human silhouette in a circle
- all the 20 series symbols, plus the X from Brawl's Japanese cover art
- all the 40 playable characters, including Pokémon Trainer and his Pokémon, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus
- 5 enemies from the Subspace Emissary: Borboras, Bytan, Mite, Poppant and Primid
- all the 10 bosses fought in Boss Battles plus the Ancient Minister
- the Miis saved on the Wii console
Friend icons are once again part of a player's profile, which can be checked after a battle in any online mode. Icons related to downloadable characters are not available unless the character is purchased; they can however be seen in other players' profiles.
The available icons are:
- all series symbols
- all playable characters, including classic Wario, Alph, male Wii Fit Trainer, wireframe Little Mac, female Villager, Robin and Corrin, Advent Children Cloud and classic Bayonetta, but excluding Mii Fighters and Koopalings.
- all Assist Trophies except Chain Chomp, Color TV-Game 15, Ghosts, Infantry and Tanks, Mother Brain, Nintendog, and Sheriff
- some characters and items related to playable characters and stages: a Phantom, a Gordo, Chrom, a Gyroid, Doc Louis, Dunban, a Wild Gunman, Rush, the Yellow Devil, Sandbag, Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, Leviathan and Bahamut ZERO.
Players once again may choose an icon as part of their Smash Tag, which is displayed to others in online play.
The available icons include:
- all playable characters (except for the Mii Fighters) in at least two different costumes, including all costume characters (including the Koopalings, all opposite-gender variants for characters that have both male and female versions, Alph, each Hero, Alex, Zombie and Enderman), and almost all alternate costumes which change a character's outfit (including all alternate costumes for Villager and Inkling). Downloadable characters are not available unless they have been purchased by the player. Of note is that Pyra and Mythra had icons using their spirit artwork prior to their playable debut in the game.
- all series symbols for series which have a playable character
- all Assist Trophies
In addition to the above, select other icons from the represented series are available using the same art as is used for their spirits:
|The Legend of Zelda|
|Game & Watch|
|Super Smash Bros.|