Arceus's official artwork from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.
|English voice actor||Tom Wayland|
|Japanese voice actor||Megumi Hayashibara|
|Article on Bulbapedia||Arceus (Pokémon)|
|“||Arceus will use Gravity to slam down any nearby airborne opponents. If you aren't on a platform, you will get dunked off the stage.||”|
|—Super Smash Bros. 4 Official Site|
Arceus (アルセウス, Arceus) is a creature from the Pokémon series.
Arceus is a Mythical Pokémon introduced in Generation IV, and is listed at #493 as the final Pokémon in that generation's National Pokédex, being categorized as the "Alpha Pokémon". In the Sinnoh mythos, it is considered the universe's creator, and the master of the generation's two legendary trios. By holding a matching Plate item, it can change its type from Normal to any other type in the game. Its signature move is Judgment, an attack which changes its type to match Arceus's current type. Arceus played a major role in Pokémon Legends: Arceus.
Gravity is a non-damaging Psychic-type move introduced in Generation IV. When used, it applies a status effect to the battlefield for 5 turns, grounding every Pokémon on the field: this lowers the evasion of all Pokémon by two stages, removes any immunity to Ground-type moves and makes some moves like High Jump Kick impossible to perform. Arceus learns Gravity at level 10, but since every legitimately available Arceus thus far was only obtainable at much higher levels, Arceus requires a Move Reminder or Move Tutor to learn the move.
As a Poké Ball Pokémon
Arceus appears as a Poké Ball and a Master Ball summon. When summoned, it produces a large shockwave that acts as a powerful long-range meteor smash. It does so three times, with a short delay between each use, before disappearing. Only airborne players will be hit; grounded players are not affected. It does not cause damage, but it possesses very powerful set knockback, which is very likely to KO any off-stage opponent. However, opponents can potentially DI towards a stage wall, allowing them to tech and survive. The launch rate can affect how powerful the attack is.
When Arceus is out, CPUs will prefer to stay grounded. If they are on a platform far away from other fighters, they will remain there, spamming attacks.
- A Pokémon said to have hatched from an egg that appeared from nothing. Newly hatched, it created the world and the sky. Its Gravity attack will bring any fighter in midair crashing down to earth. No ground below you? Looks like you're going to go plummeting off the stage as if you'd been hit by a Meteor Smash!
- A Pokémon said to have hatched from an egg that appeared from nothing. Newly hatched, it created the world and the sky. Its Gravity attack will bring any fighter in midair crashing down to earth. No ground below you? Looks like you're going to go plummeting off the stage as if you'd been hit by a meteor smash!
- : Pokémon Diamond & Pokémon Pearl (04/2007)
- : Pokémon Black 2 & Pokémon White 2 (10/2012)
- A Pokémon said to have hatched from an egg that appeared from nothing. Newly hatched, it created the world and the sky. Its Gravity attack will bring any fighter in mid-air crashing down to earth. No ground below you? Looks like you're going to go plummeting off the stage as if you'd been hit by a meteor smash!
- : Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (07/2007)
- : Pokémon Black 2/White 2 (10/2012)
As a Poké Ball Pokémon
Arceus reappears as a Poké Ball and Master Ball Pokémon. The knockback dealt by the attack is no longer set.
Arceus cannot be summoned on Arena Ferox, Balloon Fight, Brinstar, Corneria, Dream Land GB, Jungle Japes, Living Room, Magicant, Onett, Reset Bomb Forest, Spirit Train, Super Mario Maker, Suzaku Castle, Tortimer Island, WarioWare Inc., or Yoshi's Island.
Arceus also appears as a Legend-class primary spirit.
In Adventure Mode: World of Light, Arceus is presumably one of the countless spirits captured by Galeem during his takeover of the universe. After Galeem's defeat, Dharkon takes control of Galeem's spirits, including Arceus. After Dharkon's defeat, he flees to the final world, with Galeem following soon after. In the final world, Galeem and Dharkon wage war against each other using their captured spirits, with Galeem taking control of Arceus.
Arceus uses a Corrin puppet fighter and is fought on the Spear Pillar stage. During the battle, Arceus is summoned while heavy winds are immediately in effect, referencing Arceus's Gravity move. Also, Corrin's dragon form highly resembles Arceus, and Corrin's Japanese name, "Kamui", is the Ainu word for "god", referencing how Arceus is the creator of the Pokémon world.
|519||Arceus||★★★★||3||4012||10030||2006||5015||2006||5015||No Effect||Pokémon Series|
Arceus using Gravity on Pyrosphere in Smash 4.
Names in other languages
- The base stats of the Arceus Spirit are both 2006, which is the year Pokémon Diamond and Pearl were released in Japan.
- On Jungle Hijinxs, characters not on the plane that Arceus is on will not be affected by Gravity.