Versus Mode (大乱闘, Great Melee) (or VS Mode as styled in Super Smash Bros.) is the standard mode in the Super Smash Bros. series. It is a multiplayer mode that enables players and/or computer players to fight against each other or in a variety of settings. Versus mode appears in all Super Smash Bros. games, albeit with different names in nearly every game. In Melee, it is called Melee. In Brawl, it is called Group. In SSB4 and Ultimate, it is called Smash. The characters can participate in a variety of battles, including Free-for-alls and team battles. The players can also set the rules for the battle including the amount of time, the amount of stock, the items that can be used, handicaps, and the stage that the battle will take place on. The players can also choose settings for the computer players including computer players' levels. Some of these features, however, have to be unlocked in order for them to be used.
- VS Start - Takes players to the character selection screen.
- Rule - Players can set the rule, either Time or Stock.
- Time/Stock - Players can set the match timer if it's a timed match, or the amount of lives each player has if it's a stock match.
- VS Options - Players can adjust some options. They can set the Handicap (on, off, or auto), Team Attack (on or off), Stage Select (on or off), Damage % (they can choose a percentage), and, if unlocked by playing 100 VS modes matches, set the items on or off with Item Switch.
Players can now choose a wide variety of options for different styles of battling. The players can also set up tournaments. The C-Stick can be used for attacks, unlike in single-player mode.
List of playable modes
- Melee -- This is the basic multiplayer mode.
- Tournament Melee -- Allows the player to set up a tournament with up to 64 players. This is split into three subcategories; Tournament, Winner Out, and Loser Out.
- Special Melee -- Players can choose from the following options:
- Camera - In Camera mode, the player can take snapshots when connecting a GameCube controller in Player 4 slot.
- Fixed-Camera - In Fixed-Camera mode, the camera is fixed and does not move around. The whole stage will be seen on the screen.
- Stamina Mode - Stamina mode works akin to a traditional fighting game. The players start with 150 HP each, and once their HP drops to zero (or get knocked out of the stage or self-destruct) they are out of the game.
- Giant Melee - In Giant Melee mode, all the characters are big, similar to the giant characters that are fought in Classic Mode. The characters will have a harder time to KO their opponent, but they will fall faster and the distance of their jump will decrease.
- Invisible Melee - In Invisible Melee mode, all characters are invisible, similar to Fox and Falco in the event match Slippy's Invention. Unlike the effects of the Cloaking Device though, the characters can take damage in this mode.
- Lightning Melee - In Lightning Melee mode, the movement speed of the characters will increase.
- Single-Button - In Single Button mode, the only controls that can be used in battle are the A button and the control stick. The use of the B button is disabled for every character in this mode. The characters can still jump however by tilting the Control Stick up.
- Slo-Mo Melee - In Slow-Mo Melee mode, the movement speed of the characters will decrease.
- Super Sudden Death - In Sudden Death mode, each of the characters will have 300% damage. If a character is KO'd and still has remaining stock, then their damage meter will return to 300%.
- Tiny Melee - In Tiny Melee mode, all the characters are small, similar to the effects of a Poison Mushroom. The opponents in Tiny Melee will be easier to KO but they will also have a greater recovery distance.
- Rules -- Players can adjust the rules of matches in this menu.
- Names -- Players can enter names for gameplay here.
Action Replay uses
With the introduction of the Action Replay and the debug menu, the players can further customize their battle. They can choose the size of the characters participating in the battle, the different colors of the characters, and other additional settings. The debug menu also allows the player to choose certain stages that normally the game does not allow them to play on. These stages include the Adventure Mode stages, the Trophy Tussle stages, and stages that do not appear in the game at all. The players can customize the computer players actions during battle also. For example, one computer player can be set to just stand on the stage while another computer player can be set to only pick up items. Six-player battles require extra Action Replay codes for enabling. Once the battle is finished, however, the "No Contest" screen will display, showing only the first four characters in the match. If players 5 and 6 are set to human players, their indicators will both be red, and player 6 will shield endlessly.
In Brawl, this mode is called Group.
List of playable modes
- Brawl - This is essentially the same as Melee's, but players can still make it Sudden Death without entering Special Brawl by manually changing the handicap. This can make it easier to unlock many challenges, since Special Brawl does not keep records.
- Tourney - This is more or less the same as Melee's Tournament Mode. However, it only allows for 32 players rather than Melee's 64. Additionally, only the single-elimination brackets are available (unlike its Melee predecessor).
- Rotation - The winner out/loser out modes from Melee's Tournament Mode are now in its own mode in Brawl (separated from Tournament).
- Special Brawl - This is much like Special Melee, only with more combinations and options.
- Rules - This allows players to set the rules such as time, stock, etc.
- Names - Allows players to add, delete, or modify a screenname.
In Smash 4, this mode is called Smash.
List of playable modes
- Solo - One player can play against AI-controlled CPUs.
- Group - Up to four players can play against each other. CPUs can also be played against.
- In the Wii U version, the new mode called Smash are formed from both modes.
- Special Smash (Wii U exclusive) - This is much like Special Brawl, but the body condition adds Tail, Rocket Belt, Screw and Back Shield.
- Rules - This allows players to set the rules such as time, and stock in both versions of Smash 4, and in the Wii U Version, the players to set the rule such as coin.
- Tourney (Wii U exclusive, discontinued) - There are three modes in all, the regular tourney, the normal tourney, and online tourney. However, the Miiverse Online Mode has been discontinued and the online tourney mode has been removed from the online mode.
- 8-Player Smash (Wii U exclusive) - Up to eight players can fight at the same time, but only when playing locally. However, only certain stages are available depending on the amount of players.
In Ultimate, this mode is called Smash, just like in the previous game. This game added the new mechanic of the player in the lead in a free-for-all battle occasionally flashing yellow.
List of playable modes
- Smash - Up to eight players, CPUs and/or amiibo can play against each other. Unlike Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's 8-Player Smash mode, every stage can be played regardless of the amount of players.
- Squad Strike - Two players fight against each other in teams of either three or five characters.
- Tourney - Up to 32 players compete in a tournament bracket, just like Brawl's Tourney mode.
- Special Smash - Fight with special rules. This section includes:
- Custom Smash - This is much like Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's Special Smash, except 300% and Stamina modes have been removed, since they are now selectable in the rules.
- Smashdown - A series of matches where players must pick a new character after each fight, as every previously selected character becomes unavailable for the remaining matches.
- Super Sudden Death - A fast-paced match where all fighters start with 300% damage.
|Super Smash Bros. menu items|
|VS Mode||VS Start (Team Battle) · Rule · Time / Stock · VS Options|
|1P Mode||1P Game · Training Mode · Bonus 1 Practice · Bonus 2 Practice|
|Option||Sound · Screen Adjust · Backup Clear|
|Data||Characters · VS Record · Sound Test|
|Super Smash Bros. Melee menu items|
|Vs. Mode||Melee (Time · Stock · Coin Battle · Bonus · Team Battle) · Custom Rules · Special Melee · Tournament Mode · Names|
|1-P Mode||Regular Match (Classic Mode · All-Star Mode · Adventure Mode) · Event Match · Stadium (Target Test · Home-Run Contest · Multi-Man Melee) · Training|
|Trophies||Gallery · Collection · Lottery|
|Options||Rumble · Sound · Screen Display · Language · Erase Data|
|Data||Snapshots · Melee Records · Sound Test · Archives (NTSC only) · How to Play (PAL only)|
|Unused||Debug menu · Debug sound test menu|
|Super Smash Bros. Brawl menu items|
|Group||Brawl (Time · Stock · Coin Battle · Team Battle) · Rules · Special Brawl · Rotation · Tourney · Names|
|Solo||Classic · All-Star · Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary · Events · Stadium (Target Smash!! · Home-Run Contest · Multi-Man Brawl · Boss Battles) · Training|
|Wi-Fi||Spectator Mode · With Anyone · With Friends|
|Vault||Trophies & Stickers (Trophy Gallery · Trophy Hoard · Coin Launcher · Sticker Album · Sticker Center) · Stage Builder · Album · Challenges · Replays · Masterpieces · Chronicle|
|Options||Screen · Deflicker · Rumble · Controls · Sound · My Music · Erase Data|
|Data||Movies · Records (Group Records · Brawl Records · Notices) · Sound Test|
|Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS menu items|
|Smash||Smash (Solo · Group · Time · Stock · Team Battle) · Rules|
|Smash Run||Solo · Group · Custom · Select Music|
|Games & More||Classic · All-Star · Stadium (Multi-Man Smash · Target Blast · Home-Run Contest) · Training · Custom · amiibo · Vault (Trophies · Trophy Rush · Album · Replays · Sounds · Records · Tips) · Options (Controls · Sound · Character Outline · Damage Display · Internet Options)|
|Online||Spectator Mode · With Anyone (For Fun · For Glory) · With Friends · Conquest · Share|
|Other||Challenge · StreetPass · Wii U|
|Super Smash Bros. for Wii U menu items|
|Smash||Smash (Time · Stock · Coin Battle · Team Battle) · 8-Player Smash · Special Smash · Rules · Controls|
|Games & More||Classic · All-Star · Stadium (Target Blast · Home-Run Contest · Multi-Man Smash) · Training · Events · Special Orders (Master Orders · Crazy Orders) · Custom · Stage Builder · amiibo · Vault (Trophies · Trophy Rush · Album · Replays · Movies · Sounds · Records · Tips · Masterpieces) · Options (Controls · Sound · My Music · Internet Options)|
|Online||Spectator Mode · With Anyone (For Fun · For Glory) · With Friends · Online Events (Tourney · Conquest) · Share|
|Other||Challenge · Smash Tour · 3DS|