Trophy Rush (フィギュアラッシュ, Figure Rush) is a minigame in Super Smash Bros. 4, generally acting as a replacement to Brawl's Coin Launcher. As its name implies, Trophy Rush is intended to help players attain trophies, though it can dispense coins and Custom Parts as well. Trophy Rush is one of several game modes that supports the Global Smash Power.
In Trophy Rush, the player selects any character they wish, then selects how long they wish to play the game. The minimum length of time is 30 seconds, though it can be increased by one second for every six Coins the player adds to the cost, with the maximum possible play time being 150 seconds (2:30) for 900 Coins.
In the actual game, the player is placed upon a thin platform that they can jump through, and grab the ledges on. They are tasked with destroying as many crates that fall onto the platform as possible. Two types of crates exist: standard wooden crates that are destroyed in one hit, and stone crates that require several hits to be destroyed. The geometry of these crates vary, and players can be pushed around by the crates depending on how stacks of them may fall.
A line above the mode's main platform indicates how high the crates are allowed to pile up, and if the crates breach this line for more than five seconds, then the platform disappears, forcing the player to be KOed. In addition to this danger, bombs with a five-second fuse can fall onto the stage, certain boxes will shoot fire from one side if not destroyed within 3.5 seconds, and if the player stays in one place for too long, a ball of lightning falls from the sky. In addition to dealing knockback and damage to the player's character, these obstacles can also destroy the various crates that fall. Getting KOed for any reason on any blast line causes a deduction of fifteen seconds of play time for the first KO, then ten seconds for the second KO, and finally five seconds on any subsequent KOs; the lost time can also potentially end a player's chain, slowing their progress down.
While destroying boxes, the player is able to build up a "chain", which is broken if they fail to destroy any boxes in a small period of time; the higher the chain, the more points are awarded for each box destroyed. Scoring points fills up a meter in the top left of the screen; when the meter is full, it triggers a Fever Rush, where pentagonal crates holding coins, trophies, and occasionally custom parts constantly fall onto the stage for seven seconds. These blocks are notable for being able to start chain reactions, destroying identical blocks next to them. Of note is that only the first Fever Rush is guaranteed to drop a Custom Part; subsequent Fever Rushes will not necessarily dispense such rewards.
Just like in a Smash match, the announcer will start the countdown when there are only five seconds remaining before calling out "TIME!" to signify the end of the game. The player gets to keep all of the Gold, trophies, and custom parts they've earned along with the final score and the GSP of the player's progress.
Trophy Rush allows character customization and can be played co-operatively with two players, though these features are only present in the Wii U version of the game. When playing co-op, more rewards can be obtained, but more tough blocks and balls of electricity will appear and the window of time to continue a chain is shorter.
The Trophy Rush stage has different aesthetics between the two versions of Smash 4, with the Wii U version more closely resembling Battlefield. Each version also uses a background similar to the respective version's Battlefield.
Each type of block has a score value associated with it.
The Chain Bonus is equal to the current chain multiplied by 10, to a maximum of 1500 points. Therefore, any chain of 150 or greater will award the maximum point bonus.
A block hit by an attack from the fighter will reward the value of the block, plus the Chain Bonus. The Chain Bonus is increased from hitting the block, then rewarded. No Chain Bonus is applied unless the Chain is 2 or greater.
A block hit by an electrical ball or directional explosive will reward half of the value of the block, with no Chain Bonus.
|Prize (Gold/Trophy/Custom Part)||10|
|Chain Bonus||Chain x10|
- Destroying 300 blocks grants the Giant Bomb custom move for Link.
- Destroying 1,000 blocks grants the Close Combat custom move for Ike.
- Destroying 3,000 blocks grants the Exploding Popgun custom move for Diddy Kong.
- Getting a fever rush 8 times as Dr. Mario grants 100,000G.
- Destroying 50,000 blocks grants the Moon Launcher Protection Badge equipment.
- Getting a chain of 100 or more as Samus without taking damage grants the KO Healer Arm Cannon equipment.
- Getting a chain of 300 or more grants the CommanderVideo trophy.
- Getting a fever rush 6 times as Fox grants the Krystal trophy.
- Getting a chain of 200 or more as Donkey Kong grants the DK Rap music.
- Destroying 250 blocks grants a Crazy Orders pass.
- Getting a fever rush 4 times as Robin grants the Conquest (Ablaze) music.
- Destroying 200 blocks as Pikachu adds the possibility of Xerneas appearing from a Poké Ball.
- Getting a chain of 150 or more as Falco unlocks the Accele-Reflector custom move for him.
- Destroying 100 blocks as Mr. Game & Watch unlocks the Flat Zone X stage.
- Getting a chain of 100 or more grants the Chomp Hat equipment.
- Getting a chain of 50 or more as Wii Fit Trainer grants the Wii Fit U Trainer trophy.
- In the first screenshot showing off the mode posted by Sakurai, the time remaining is 3:21.00; in the final game, the maximum time allowed is 2:30.00.
- In Classic mode, the custom parts are labeled in red, while trophies are labeled green, but in Trophy Rush, the opposite occurs.
|Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS menu items|
|Smash||Smash (Solo · Group · Time · Stock · Team Battle) · Rules|
|Smash Run||Solo · Group · Custom · Select Music|
|Games & More||Classic · All-Star · Stadium (Multi-Man Smash · Target Blast · Home-Run Contest) · Training · Custom · amiibo · Vault (Trophies · Trophy Rush · Album · Replays · Sounds · Records · Tips) · Options (Controls · Sound · Character Outline · Damage Display · Internet Options)|
|Online||Spectator Mode · With Anyone (For Fun · For Glory) · With Friends · Conquest · Share|
|Other||Challenge · StreetPass · Wii U|
|Super Smash Bros. for Wii U menu items|
|Smash||Smash (Time · Stock · Coin Battle · Team Battle) · 8-Player Smash · Special Smash · Rules · Controls|
|Games & More||Classic · All-Star · Stadium (Target Blast · Home-Run Contest · Multi-Man Smash) · Training · Events · Special Orders (Master Orders · Crazy Orders) · Custom · Stage Builder · amiibo · Vault (Trophies · Trophy Rush · Album · Replays · Movies · Sounds · Records · Tips · Masterpieces) · Options (Controls · Sound · My Music · Internet Options)|
|Online||Spectator Mode · With Anyone (For Fun · For Glory) · With Friends · Online Events (Tourney · Conquest) · Share|
|Other||Challenge · Smash Tour · 3DS|