Tips are short blurbs of information that appear in both versions of Super Smash Bros. 4 and in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. These tips appear in two different locations - their own specialized menu in the Vault, or on the loading screens of the game. Some tips are shared between the two versions of Smash 4, while others are not. A few contain incorrect information due to patches changing the game without updating any of the tips.
If one gets a Milestone at the end of a match, a tip will display while the game is returning to the character select. Otherwise, tips will not display there.
Tips can also be viewed in their own dedicated page within the Vault. In Smash 4, the tips shown are randomized, and can be shuffled by pressing a button. In Ultimate, all tips are sorted into sections based on their topic.
The many tips in the game are categorized into different types.
- amiibo tips focus on the use of amiibo.
- Fighter tips mainly provide information about characters' attacks and special moves.
- Stage tips give notes about stages.
- Item tips document items, Pokémon, and Assist Trophies.
- Mode tips provide notes about the various modes, including Smash Run and Smash Tour.
- Smash Run tips focus on enemies encountered in Smash Run, as well as its other unique features. (3DS only)
- Smash Tour tips focus on Smash Tour-exclusive features and gameplay. (Wii U only)
- Original Games/Settings (Background Info in Europe) tips explain the origins of characters, their games, and other elements of the game. (Wii U only)
- Other tips document game terminology and otherwise-unsorted notes.
- Fighters: Provides information about the origins of characters, their appearance in their home series, and their attacks and special moves.
- Stages: Provides information about the origins of stages, and its layout and hazards.
- Techniques: Provides information on basic and advanced techniques.
- Spirits: Provides information on spirits, and Adventure Mode.
- Items: Provides information on items, Pokémon, and Assist Trophies.
- Other: Provides information on modes, bosses, amiibo, and other gameplay elements
Names in other languages
|Korean||스매시 팁, Smash Tips|
|Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS menu items|
|Smash||Smash (Solo · Group · Time · Stock · Team Battle) · Rules|
|Smash Run||Solo · Group · Custom · Select Music|
|Games & More||Classic · All-Star · Stadium (Multi-Man Smash · Target Blast · Home-Run Contest) · Training · Custom · amiibo · Vault (Trophies · Trophy Rush · Album · Replays · Sounds · Records · Tips) · Options (Controls · Sound · Character Outline · Damage Display · Internet Options)|
|Online||Spectator Mode · With Anyone (For Fun · For Glory) · With Friends · Conquest · Share|
|Other||Challenge · StreetPass · Wii U|
|Super Smash Bros. for Wii U menu items|
|Smash||Smash (Time · Stock · Coin Battle · Team Battle) · 8-Player Smash · Special Smash · Rules · Controls|
|Games & More||Classic · All-Star · Stadium (Target Blast · Home-Run Contest · Multi-Man Smash) · Training · Events · Special Orders (Master Orders · Crazy Orders) · Custom · Stage Builder · amiibo · Vault (Trophies · Trophy Rush · Album · Replays · Movies · Sounds · Records · Tips · Masterpieces) · Options (Controls · Sound · My Music · Internet Options)|
|Online||Spectator Mode · With Anyone (For Fun · For Glory) · With Friends · Online Events (Tourney · Conquest) · Share|
|Other||Challenge · Smash Tour · 3DS|