Local Wireless is available for Smash, Smash Run, All-Star, and Multi-Man. Upon selecting Local Wireless the player is able to either host or join a game. If the player chooses to host then they have three options for who they would like to be able to join: "Anyone", "Friends Preferred", or "Friends Only". It is one of the ways to play with friends, the other being online in the With Friends mode. Up to four players can join. Local Wireless is the only way to play with other people without an internet connection.
Local Wireless is located on the Dashboard. Two to eight players can join by linking Nintendo Switch systems. The player can also obtain other players' smash tags. Unlike Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, this is counted as a separate mode from the Smash Menu and can only used for Smash matches. This also means that other game modes are unplayable, likely as to allow more players on the same Nintendo Switch.
- Taunts are allowed in local wireless play.
- When connected in local wireless play, the other players' pick of character is unable to be seen; same goes for online.
- Custom Smash can be chosen as the game mode, which now has a player limit of 4. Super Sudden Death can be selected as well, but the limit is 8 players instead.
- The options of others joining are limited to Anyone, Acquaintances (currently unknown), and Friends Only.
- In Ultimate, if there are 5 or more systems connected to a single local wireless room, a message will be displayed on the hosts screen warning them of the inevitable lag caused by such a condition.
|Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS menu items|
|Smash||Smash (Solo · Group · Time · Stock · Team Battle) · Rules|
|Smash Run||Solo · Group · Custom · Select Music|
|Games & More||Classic · All-Star · Stadium (Multi-Man Smash · Target Blast · Home-Run Contest) · Training · Custom · amiibo · Vault (Trophies · Trophy Rush · Album · Replays · Sounds · Records · Tips) · Options (Controls · Sound · Character Outline · Damage Display · Internet Options)|
|Online||Spectator Mode · With Anyone (For Fun · For Glory) · With Friends · Conquest · Share|
|Other||Challenge · StreetPass · Wii U|