Hailing from the '90s
Hailing from the '90s (対決！ 1990年代生まれ, Showdown! Born in the 1990s), known as Fighting in the Nineties in PAL regions, was an Event Tourney that ran from 6 a.m. on February 21, 2020 to 6 a.m. on February 24, 2020 (UTC). During the event, only characters and stages that originated from games released in Japan during the 1990s could be used.
- This tourney features fighters and stages that were created in the '90s!
- The further you advance, the better the spirit you'll win!
Names in other languages
- The banner for the event pays homage to Pokemon Red and Blue, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy VII, Sonic the Hedgehog, Kirby's Dream Land and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- Spiral Mountain is the only stage from a 1990s game not present in the event.
- This could arguably also apply to Kongo Falls, Castle Siege, Coliseum and King of Fighters Stadium, as while these stages are not based on specific games, the concepts originate from Donkey Kong Country, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, and Fatal Fury: King of Fighters respectively, all of which were released in the 1990s.
- Mushroom Kingdom II is present in the event despite coming from a 1980s game (1987's Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic in Japan and 1988's Super Mario Bros. 2 in North America), because Super Mario Bros. 2 itself (known as Super Mario USA in Japanese) first released in Japan in 1992.
- The PAL region name may be a reference to Maurizio De Jorio's song "Running in the 90s".
- Final Destination is present in the event, but not Battlefield, despite both originating from the original Super Smash Bros.. This is likely due to Smash 64's variation of Battlefield having a different name, being known as Duel Zone.
- Sephiroth, Kazuya, and Solo are the only playable characters originating from the 1990s not present in the event, due to Sephiroth and Kazuya being released in Fighters Pass Vol. 2 after the event, and Solo being an alternate costume of someone not released in the 1990s.
- Along with that, Northern Cave is also a stage from the 1990s that is not present in the event for later-release reasons.