|Universe||Sonic the Hedgehog|
|Alternate costume||Jet Set Radio|
Knuckles is a playable character in the Brawl mod Project+. He was revealed on March 17th, 2020 and was made available in P+ 2.0, which released on the same day. Knuckles is one of the three characters that were not originally playable in Brawl, with the other two being Mewtwo and Roy. Unlike Mewtwo and Roy, Knuckles is a brand new character rather than a Smash veteran.
One of few characters originally planned for Project M, all plans came to a halt after Project M ceased its own development following version 3.6. Knuckles is the first clone engine character from a third party universe, the third clone engine character overall, and the only newcomer to appear beyond the plans of Project M.
As a possible callback to Sonic media existing around the same time as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, James Snyder (frequently credited as "Dan Green"), who started voicing the character in Sonic X, reprises his role using re-purposed voice clips from Sonic games made between 2005 and 2010.
Knuckles ranks 10th out of 42 characters in the official Project+ tier list, at the top of the A tier, making him a high tier character.
|Forward tilt||A forward punch that can be angled.|
|Up tilt||An uppercut that sends opponents upwards. Similar to Knuckles' unused Uppercut attack from Sonic Adventure.|
|Down tilt||A sweeping punch that sends opponents upwards. Has a sweetspot at the tip of his knuckles.|
|Dash attack||Performs a running donkey kick from Sonic the Fighters, similar to Sonic's F Tilt.|
|Forward smash||Deep Impact||A charged punch forwards. A small explosion appears in front of his fist; this is the sweetspot of the move. Taken directly from Sonic Battle.|
|Up smash||Rising Super Uppercut||An uppercut engulfed in flames. Taken directly from Sonic Advance.|
|Down smash||Meteor Eruption||Knuckles spins into the ground, then launches out to hit opponents. If done on a soft platform while holding down on the control stick, and charged for too long, Knuckles will fall through the platform. Has a hitbox on the ball while charging. Based off the attack from Sonic Battle.|
|Neutral aerial||A sex kick.|
|Forward aerial||A downward, fist enlarging punch that functions similarly to Mario's, having a horizontal knockback angle on the early hit and having a meteor smash hitbox on the late hitbox.|
|Back aerial||Jabs behind himself with his elbow. Based off his Quick Reverse Back Attack from Sonic Advance 2.|
|Up aerial||A headbutt attack from Sonic the Fighters that acts similarly to Donkey Kong's.|
|Down aerial||Meteor Punch||Punches downwards with both of his fists, taken directly from Sonic Battle. Has a meteor smash effect.|
|Grab||Knuckles reaches out with his left hand.|
|Pummel||Punches with his right hand.|
|Forward throw||Headbutts the opponent.|
|Back throw||Spins his opponent round in a circular motion and throws them.|
|Up throw||Knuckles jumps into the air with his opponent and slams them into the ground. Similar to Volcanic Dunk from Sonic Heroes.|
|Down throw||Rapidly punches his opponent downward. Similar to his digging animation.|
|Floor attack (front)|
|Floor attack (back)|
|Floor attack (trip)|
|Edge attack (fast)|
|Edge attack (slow)|
|Neutral special||Dig/Drill Claw||Grounded: Knuckles will dig into the ground for some frames, then enter it. The player can move underground for a short time, which can be extended by holding down the B button, before unearthing with an uppercut, akin to his introduction in Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Can be used to become totally invincible, as well as get around projectiles. The uppercut has a sourspot on the late hit.|
Aerial: Based off of the Drill Claw move in Sonic Adventure 2. Knuckles will spiral downwards in a stall-then-fall move. If the B button is held down while landing, he will dig into the ground. From there, it functions like the grounded version.
|Side special||Diving Punch/Glide||Grounded: Knuckles jumps up and performs a diving punch, similar to the Stone Breaker Punch from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).|
Aerial: Glides around the air, can cling to and climb up and down walls. If the opponent interrupts your glide or if you press Z while gliding, Knuckles will perform an Aerial version of the Diving Punch instead of the Glide. The glide can be directly cancelled into aerials.
|Up special||Spring Jump||Bounces into the air off of a yellow spring. Compared to Sonic's version of the move, Knuckles does not go as high, as yellow springs in the Sonic series send you less further than red springs, giving it weaker potential as both a recovery option and method of gaining height for juggling. It also has an upwards launch angle on the spring projectile, giving it much better combo potential. Otherwise, the same as Sonic's.|
|Down special||Spin Charge||Functions in a similar manner to Sonic's own version of the move, except Knuckles' does more damage at the cost of speed.|
|Final Smash||Super Knuckles||Transforms into Super Knuckles using the Chaos Emeralds. Functions almost identically to Super Sonic.|
- Up taunt: Crosses his arms together and chuckles, much like his animation in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- Side taunt: Punches towards the screen, then ends in a fighting pose saying, "Bring it on!". Taken from his gold victory animation in Sonic Advance 3.
- Down taunt: Knuckles does push-ups for as long as the taunt button is held. Taken from his idle animation in Sonic Advance 3
- Winds up his elbow.
- Smacks his fists together.
- Punches wildly while shouting, "Bring it on! I'll take 'em all down!"
- Burrows underground to the front and comes out doing an uppercut. He finishes with his back facing the camera while looking towards the screen and grinning, saying, "No contest!"
- Jumps on scene with a ground punch and flips forward ending with a fist pump, excitedly shouting, "All right!"
In competitive play
Most historically significant players
See also: Category:Knuckles players (PM)
- Yono - Ranked 25th on the 2022 PMRank, being the highest ranking Knuckles player and the only solo Knuckles player ranked on it. His most impressive tournament result is placed 5th at Undertow.
- Motobug - Top level Sonic player with a Knuckles secondary, that is ranked 28th on the 2022 PMRank.
- Knuckles the Echidna
- A powerful red echidna also known by his full name, Knuckles the Echidna. Knuckles resides on Angel Island, where he guards the Master Emerald. Both friend and rival of Sonic, Knuckles is a martial-arts expert who can break through rocks with his spiked fists. In addition, he can climb walls and use the wind to glide through the air.
- SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3
- SONIC & KNUCKLES
- Green: An original color.
- Blue: An original color.
- Yellow: A reference to the thematic colors of Sandopolis Zone from Sonic & Knuckles.
- Cyan: A reference to the thematic colors of Hydrocity Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- White: A reference to Mecha Knuckles, a robotic doppelganger from Sonic Advance.
- Black: An original color.
- Pink: A reference to his appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- Maroon: A reference to the Knuckles Clan, an Ancient Tribe of Echidnas that appeared in Sonic Adventure.
- Purple: A reference to Espio the Chameleon.
- Light Green: A reference to Vector the Crocodile.
- Orange: A reference to Charmy Bee.
- Jet Set Knuckles: A reference to Jet Set Radio, much like Jet Set Sonic. Based on Garam's outfit.
- Jet Set Green. A reference to Yo-yo.
- Jet Set Blue. A reference to the Poison Jam gang.
- Jet Set Black: A reference to DJ Professor K.
Z-Secret Costume: Treasure Hunter Knuckles from Sonic Dash/Sonic Forces Speed Battle, featuring his hat from Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie.
R-Secret Costume: Sonic Adventure 2 gear Knuckles
- When accessing replays in Brawl, Knuckles shows up as an iconless character under the name "Headrobo".
- Knuckles is currently the only character in Project+ to not be playable in an official Smash game, though he has appeared since Brawl in several non-playable roles.
|Playable characters in Project M and Project+|
|Playable characters||Bowser (Giga Bowser) · Captain Falcon · Charizard · Diddy Kong · Donkey Kong · Falco · Fox · Ganondorf · Ice Climbers · Ike · Ivysaur · Jigglypuff · King Dedede · Kirby · Knuckles · Link · Lucario · Lucas · Luigi · Mario · Marth · Meta Knight · Mewtwo · Mr. Game & Watch · Ness · Olimar · Peach · Pikachu · Pit · R.O.B. · Roy · Samus · Sheik · Snake · Sonic · Squirtle · Toon Link · Wario (Wario-Man) · Wolf · Yoshi · Zelda · Zero Suit Samus|