Tournament:Super Smash Con 2018
|Super Smash Con 2018|
|Dates||August 9th-12th, 2018|
|Venue||Dulles Expo Center|
|Address/City||4320 Chantilly Shopping Center|
|Entry fees||Smash 64 singles: $10|
Smash 64 doubles: $10 per person
Melee singles: $10
Melee doubles: $10 per person
Brawl singles: $10
Brawl doubles: $10 per person
Wii U singles: $10
Wii U doubles: $10 per person
|winners|| SuPeRbOoMfAn 1v1 |
tacos & Alvin 2v2
|winners|| Armada 1v1 |
PewPewU & SFAT 2v2
|winners|| Nairo 1v1 |
Nairo & ANTi 2v2
|winners|| MkLeo 1v1 |
MkLeo & Cosmos 2v2
|Director(s)||Justin Wykowski, Tantalus, Nintendude, Juggleguy|
Super Smash Con 2018 was the 4th edition of "Super Smash Con", a video game convention and national tournament focused on the Super Smash Bros. series. It was held in Chantilly, Virginia, from August 9th-12th, 2018. It was the final Super Smash Bros. for Wii U supermajor prior to the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Super Smash Bros. singles
Top 24 Bracket
*Robert entered using the tag and real name of hydra.
*SheerMadness entered using the tag Sheers.
Super Smash Bros. doubles
Top 16 Bracket
|1st||tacos||Alvin||$592.00 ($296.00 each)|
|2nd||SuPeRbOoMfAn||JaimeHR||$296.00 ($146.00 each)|
|3rd||Isai||Sleepy Fox||$222.00 ($111.00 each)|
|4th||Zero||Stranded||$146.00 ($73.00 each)|
|5th||wangera||Shizuku||$73.00 ($36.50 each)|
|5th||Lowww||Loto||$73.00 ($36.50 each)|
|7th||KeroKeroppi||Nintendude||$36.50 ($18.25 each)|
|7th||Shalaka||Kort||$36.50 ($18.25 each)|
Super Smash Bros. Melee singles
Top 32 Bracket
|65th||bobby big ballz|
*MikeHaze forfeited after losing to Mew2King due to feeling ill.
*Mango forfeited after losing to Flipsy.
Super Smash Bros. Melee doubles
Top 12 Bracket
|1st||PewPewU||SFAT||$1,792 ($896 each)|
|2nd||Armada||Android||$896 ($448 each)|
|3rd||Hungrybox||Mew2King||$672 ($336 each)|
|4th||Swedish Delight||DruggedFox||$448 ($224 each)|
|5th||Ice||Overtriforce||$224 ($112 each)|
|5th||iBDW||2Saint||$224 ($112 each)|
|7th||Chillin||Cyrain||$112 ($56 each)|
|7th||Zain||MilkMan||$112 ($56 each)|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl singles
Top 32 Bracket
Super Smash Bros. Brawl doubles
|1st||Nairo||ANTi||$300 ($150 each)|
|2nd||Cody||Player-1||$150 ($75 each)|
|3rd||Hinkage||Mikeray4||$50 ($25 each)|
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U singles
Top 32 Bracket
*Ally forfeited after being sent to losers by Ralphie.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U doubles
Top 12 Bracket
|1st||Cosmos||MkLeo||$2,680.00 ($1,340.00 each)|
|2nd||Mistake||Samsora||$1,340.00 ($670.00 each)|
|3rd||Elegant||ANTi||$1,005.00 ($502.50 each)|
|4th||VoiD||NAKAT||$670.00 ($335.00 each)|
|5th||Dabuz||Ally||$335.00 ($167.50 each)|
|5th||Light||SDX||$335.00 ($167.50 each)|
|7th||MVD||ESAM||$167.50 ($83.75 each)|
|7th||Dark Wizzy||WaDi||$167.50 ($83.75 each)|
Project M singles
Top 48 Bracket
Project M doubles
|3rd||Stutter Step Steven||Lentil|
Smash 64 combo contest
Each contestant gets 2 minutes to perform a combo. They can use any character, any stage, and any item. Once the two minutes are up, or when the contestant finishes his or her combo, five judges rate the combo, giving it a number between 1-10. Those points are totalled up into a final number. The higher the score, the better chance in moving on.
In the first round, the top four contestants move on. In the second round, the top two contestants move on. In the final round, both contestants have to do two combos. Although total points are recorded, whoever moves on is chosen solely through said round's points.
The VOD for the event has over two million views on YouTube, and was formerly the most viewed video on VGBootCamp's main channel. A video for the "Top 5 Combo Contest Combos" on VGBootCamp Melee's channel also has over two million views, is the most viewed video on VGBootCamp Melee, and was formerly the most viewed video across all of VGBootCamp's channels.
Judges: ESAM, Shears, D1, SuPeRbOoMfAn, Isai
Smash Masters exhibitions
Rules: All four Smash games are played in a best-of-three format (4 stocks for Smash 64 and Melee, 3 for Brawl and 2 for Smash 4). A big victory is earned by winning a game with a high enough amount of stocks left (3 for Smash 64/Melee and 2 for Brawl/Smash 4).
The winner is determined
- first by sets won
- second by games won
- third by "big victories": wins where a player defeats the opponent with two or more stocks left.
*Humorously, SuPeRbOoMfAn competed under the tag FalcoMaster3000 while wearing the signature balaclava and sunglasses.
The 2nd Annual Smashies Awards was hosted by Coney on the night of August 11th, where awards were given to players nominated for different categories. Two new categories were added this year: Best Reaction and the Sakurai Award.
|Best Doubles Team (Smash 64)||Isai & Alvin|
|Best Doubles Team (Melee)||Armada & Android|
|Best Doubles Team (Smash 4)||NAKAT & VoiD|
|Most Improved (Smash 64)||EG|
|Most Improved (Melee)||Zain|
|Most Improved (Smash 4)||SDX|
|Best Commentary Moment||ZeRo & Coney|
|Saltiest Moment/Best Taunt||Hungrybox|
|Best Combo (Smash 64)||Prince|
|Best Combo (Melee)||Zain|
|Best Combo (Smash 4)||Elegant|
|Best Comeback (Smash 64)||Madrush|
|Best Comeback (Melee)||Wizzrobe|
|Best Comeback (Smash 4)||Captain L|
- This tournament was notably Armada's final tournament before announcing his retirement from Melee singles in September 2018.
- This is also the most recent tournament with at least four of the Five Gods competing, everyone but PPMD.
- In a Melee singles pools match against Savestate, Armada encountered the frozen turnip glitch for the first time in a tournament. The glitch started on their third stocks, and they repeatedly used the glitched turnip against each other.
- Prince was the first person to get a full score in the Smash 64 combo contest, doing so in both Round 1 and Round 2.
- There were several notable DQ's at the tournament. Plup could not make it on time for his pools because of his flight, Leffen fell ill and dropped out before round 2 pools, and Wizzrobe decided to focus on SSB as Super Smash Con 2018 was its 2nd largest tournament ever and thus decided not to compete in Melee.
- This marked the worst placement at a tournament for the following top players:
- Nairo placed 5th in Smash 4 singles, ending his two-year streak of winning the event at Super Smash Con. He lost to MkLeo using Cloud and Bayonetta and Cosmos using Corrin, marking his first losses at any Super Smash Con to a character other than Pikachu.
- In Smash 4, this tournament marks the highest ever placing of a Peach main at a major national with Samsora placing 2nd.
- Both Melee and Smash 4 grand finals pitted a Peach player against a Marth player, with both of the Marths being Echo Fox players.
|Super Smash Con|
|Main events||2015 · 2016 · 2017 · 2018 · 2019 · 2022|