Tournament:Smash World Tour 2021
|Smash World Tour 2021|
|Most successful player(s)|| Br1 AV (South America Ultimate Qualifier, South America Ultimate Regional)|
Plup (NA West Melee Regional, Melee Championships)
MkLeo (Central America Ultimate Regional, Ultimate Championships)
|Website(s)||Smash World Tour website|
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the circuit ran online qualifiers for both games; however, the regional qualifiers and finale were offline. The pot prize started at $150,000 ($75,000 for each game), with a merch shop to increase it throughout the year.
"Phase One" was different between each game. For Melee, a panel of players determined 16 players to invite to each regional finale. Players were selected based upon several factors, including their performances in both 2020 and 2021 tournaments. For Ultimate, online qualifier tournaments were held in each region, with 8 or 16 players advancing to the regional qualifier.
"Phase Two" was mostly offline. Each region hosted a regional qualifier which determined the players sent to the finale, with the number of finale slots depending on the region. If qualified players were unable to attend, additional players were chosen based on their placement in the Last Chance Qualifier.
"Phase Three" was the finale, where the 32 qualified players of each game faced off offline. A Last Chance Qualifier was held for each game with the top 8 players qualifying for the finale, bringing the total to 40 players for each game. If qualified players were unable to attend, additional players were chosen from their regional qualifier.
For the offline tournaments, players were required to pay for their own flights and hotel.
Effects of the COVID-19 pandemic
As the circuit was announced during the COVID-19 pandemic, there were no qualifier tournaments for Melee while all Ultimate qualifiers were held online. This has led to a negative reaction from several top players such as MkLeo and Tweek, who noted how unreliable Ultimate's online netcode was. Indeed, several matches were fought with a distance of over 2,000 kilometers between the players while several controversies related to connection problems popped up throughout the qualifiers, most notably in tournaments that spanned an entire continent such as South America and Europe.
- The SWT: Central America Melee Regional Finals was anticipated to August 28th-29th.
- The SWT: Europe Ultimate Regional Finals was postponed to September 18th-19th.
- The SWT: NA West Ultimate Regional Finals was postponed to October 9th-10th.
- The SWT: Europe Melee Regional Finals was postponed twice, initially to August 14th-15th, then to October 23rd-24th.
- The SWT: East Asia Melee Regional Finals was postponed twice, initially to October 2nd-3rd, then to November 20th-21st, then anticipated to November 13th-14th.
- The SWT: East Asia Ultimate Regional Finals was postponed three times, initially to September 25th-26th, then to November 6th-7th, and finally to November 27th-28th.
- The SWT: Oceania Melee & Ultimate Regional Finals was postponed twice, initially to August 27th-29th, then to November 12th-14th, before being cancelled, with Sora and Jdizzle being invited for Melee and Ultimate, respectively.
Notably, due to the severe status of the pandemic in South America, the in-person tournament for the region was cancelled. Instead, Chape and HP were chosen as the South American Melee finalists while the Ultimate qualifier was changed to online. This announcement led to an outcry of disappointment within the South American community, with many South American players accusing Smash World Tour and VGBootCamp for sidelining a community that saw seldom national representation. Amidst the controversy surrounding the final, GimR posted a response clearing up the situation, specifically noting their efforts to ensure tournament matches ran as smoothly as possible and the difficulty it took for South Americans to obtain a United States visa, especially during the pandemic.
All the qualified players from the SWT: East Asia South Ultimate Online Qualifier were unable to attend SWT: East Asia Ultimate Regional Finals due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. As a result, eight competitors from SWT: Japan Ultimate Online Qualifier were announced to take their place while XIFL took the sixth qualifying spot, bringing the total number of qualifying spots for the finals to five.
|Yoshi's Story||Pokémon Stadium|
|Fountain of Dreams|
- Stage Clause: A player may not pick any stage they previously won on during the set.
- Ledge Grab Limit: 60 per game
- Wobbling and the Freeze glitch are not permitted.
- Stocks: 3
- Timer: 7:00
- Team Attack: On
- Launch Rate: x1.0
- Items: Off and None
- FS Meter: Off
- Damage Handicap: Off
- Custom Balance: Off
- Spirits: Off
- Pause: Off
- Stage Selection: Loser's Pick
- Stage Hazards: Off
- Stage Morph: Off
- Underdog Boost: Off
- Score Display: Off
- Show Damage: Yes
|Battlefield||Kalos Pokémon League|
|Final Destination*||Lylat Cruise|
|Pokémon Stadium 2||Small Battlefield|
|Town and City|
*Ω form Battlefield may be substituted for Final Destination at the request of either player.
List of tournaments
|SWT: Central America Melee Regional Finals||August 28th-29th||Smash Factor||16||JCAM|
|SWT: Europe Melee Regional Finals||October 23rd-24th||HFLAN||16||Leffen|
|SWT: NA West Melee Regional Finals||October 23rd-24th||Galint Gaming||16||Plup|
|SWT: NA East Melee Regional Finals||October 30th-31st||The Big House||16||Zain|
|SWT: East Asia Melee Regional Finals||November 13th-14th||Battle GateWay||16||aMSa|
|Smash World Tour 2021 Last Chance Qualifier||December 17th, 2021||Smash World Tour||236||—|
|Smash World Tour 2021 Championships||December 17th-19th, 2021||Smash World Tour||40||Plup|
|SWT: Mexico Ultimate Online Qualifier||March 13th-14th||Smash Factor||348||Sparg0|
|SWT: Oceania Ultimate Online Qualifier||March 20th-21st||CouchWarriors||155||Kinaji|
|SWT: Central America South Ultimate Online Qualifier||March 26th-28th||Sweetspot||229||Capitancito|
|SWT: South America Ultimate Online Qualifier||April 3rd-4th||CoVill Gaming||519||Br1 AV|
|SWT: Europe Ultimate Online Qualifier||April 10th-11th||VCA||1,802||Bloom4Eva|
|SWT: Japan Ultimate Online Qualifier||April 17th-18th||Tamisuma||210||KEN|
|SWT: East Asia South Ultimate Online Qualifier||April 24th-25th||Core-A Events||190||XIFL|
|SWT: NA Southwest Ultimate Online Qualifier||May 1st-2nd||Beyond the Summit||1,007||Scend|
|SWT: NA Northwest Ultimate Online Qualifier||May 8th-9th||Port Priority||380||SKITTLES!!|
|SWT: NA Southeast Ultimate Online Qualifier||May 15th-16th||MomoCon||685||Vendetta|
|SWT: NA Northeast Ultimate Online Qualifier||May 22nd-23rd||Shine||2,161||Tweek|
|SWT: South America Ultimate Regional Finals||July 31st||Purple Mercenaries||16||Br1 AV|
|SWT: Central America Ultimate Regional Finals||August 21st-22nd||Smash Factor||16||MkLeo|
|SWT: Europe Ultimate Regional Finals||September 18th-19th||VCA||16||Glutonny|
|SWT: NA West Ultimate Regional Finals||October 9th-10th||Tourney Locator||16||MVD|
|SWT: NA East Ultimate Regional Finals||November 6th-7th||Even Matchup Gaming||16||Kola|
|SWT: East Asia Ultimate Regional Finals||November 27th-28th||East Geek Smash||16||ProtoBanham|
|Smash World Tour 2021 Last Chance Qualifier||December 17th, 2021||Smash World Tour||455||—|
|Smash World Tour 2021 Championships||December 17th-19th, 2021||Smash World Tour||40||MkLeo|
Regional qualifier players
Players denoted with an asterisk (*) were invited or qualified but did not attend the regional final or the championship.
|Europe||Raoul||Pipsqueak||Jah Ridin'||Trif||Setchi*||Frenzy||Nicki||Professor Pro||Leffen*||Trif||Pipsqueak||Professor Pro|
|NA West||S2J||SFAT||Albert||KoDoRiN||Plup||ARMY*||bobby big ballz||Dacky||Plup||SFAT||Faceroll||Fiction|
The following players replaced those that did not attend:
- Europe: Fat Tino and skullbro.
- NA West: Kalamazhu and Android 0.
- Championship: Sock, Aura, Spark, Ben, Zamu, Shippu
Players denoted with an asterisk (*) qualified but did not attend the regional final or the championship.
The following players replaced those that did not attend:
- Central America: 0mart, WaKa, and BigBoss.
- Europe: Peli, Rinor, Longo, Tru4, and Ady. Ady would later be replaced with Sintro.
- NA West: Ludo, Erik, JoJoDaHoBo, Ronnichu, and Codex.
- NA East: Myran.
- East Asia: alice, Lea, Paseriman, Rido, Keroguchi, murasat, HIDE, and Kameme.
- Championship: Capitancito
** The eight qualified players from SWT: East Asia South Ultimate Online Qualifier were unable to attend SWT: East Asia Ultimate Regional Finals, and XIFL was invited to the finale.
*** SWT: Oceania Melee & Ultimate Regional Finals was cancelled, and Jdizzle was invited to the finale.
- Last Chance Qualifier slots.
- MkLeo's opinion on SWT 2021.
- Tweek's opinion on SWT 2021.
- First date change announcement.
- Date changes on Twitch stream.
- Date changes on website.
- SWT: Europe Melee Regional Finals date change.
- East Asia Melee Regional Finals date change.
- East Asia Ultimate Regional Finals date change.
- SWT: Oceania Melee & Ultimate Regional Finals cancelled.
- GimR's response.
- SWT: East Asia Ultimate Regional Finals update.
- Although the tournament was held on July 31st, the tournament sets were streamed on August 1st
- Nintendo logo removed from Diddy Kong's cap.
|Smash World Tour 2021|
|Phase 1||Mexico · Oceania · Central America South · South America · Europe · Japan · East Asia South · NA Southwest · NA Northwest · NA Southeast · NA Northeast|
|Phase 2||South America Ultimate · Central America (Melee · Ultimate) · Europe (Melee · Ultimate) · NA West (Melee · Ultimate) · NA East (Melee · Ultimate) · East Asia (Melee · Ultimate)|
|Finale||Smash World Tour 2021 Last Chance Qualifier · Smash World Tour 2021 Championships|
|Smash World Tour|
|2020 · 2021 · 2022|