Master spirits are spirits that are obtained exclusively through World of Light, with the exception of Timmy & Tommy, which can also be unlocked with their Amiibo. Once unlocked, master spirits will run one of four types of facilities in World of Light. These facilities include Shop (which sells spirits, items, and Skill Spheres), Gym (which level up spirits), Explore (which bring back rewards), and Dojo (which teach styles to spirits). Master spirits have dialogue boxes, though certain spirits (such as Kraid) communicate unintelligibly and therefore have provided translations. Master spirits are considered Neutral types when used by puppet fighters in Spirit Battles. There are a total of 24 master spirits in the game. One can use the facilities from the menu without having to revisit them or entering the World of Light after obtaining and entering them.
At the Gym, spirits will level up as long as they remain assigned there. Arrows will indicate if spirits will level up faster or slower.
Level up without using snacks
|Punch-Out!! Series||In the Light Realm||Minor Circuit (Original)|
When exploring, spirits can be sent for treasure, with a chance of finding valuable items, SP, Gold, and the like after a given period of time elapses. The exact rewards vary depending on several factors, including the specific Explore facility used, the types, levels, and ranks of the spirits assigned there, and any styles those spirits might possess. Arrows will indicate if spirits will yield more or fewer rewards. Both primary and support spirits can partake on expeditions, while other activities are open only to primary spirits.
Takes 2 hours to complete, and mainly awards SP.
|Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Series||In the Light Realm||Plucky Pass Beginnings|
Takes 10 hours to complete, and mainly awards snacks.
|The Legend of Zelda Series||In the Light Realm (beyond the light breach)||Main Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes|
Takes 6 hours to complete, and mainly awards items for the Spirit Board.
|Pikmin Series||In the Light Realm||Stage Select - Pikmin 2|
Dojos teach spirits different Styles. A spirit with a Style active will alter its user's stats, boosting some stats at the expense of other stats. A spirit can only know one Style at a time. Learning a new Style will cause the spirit to forget any pre-existing Style. Previously forgotten Styles can be re-taught instantly. There are a total of 15 dojos.
|73||Honey Queen||Dojo (Big-Bee Style)
Increases defense, jump height, and weight, but decreases offense and move speed.
|Super Mario Series||In the Light Realm||The Starship Sails|
|198||Darunia||Dojo (Boulder Style)
Increases defense and move speed, but decreases offense and jump height.
|The Legend of Zelda Series||In the Light Realm||Ocarina of Time Medley|
|283||Kraid||Dojo (Tank Style)
Increases offense and defense, but decreases move speed and jump height.
|Metroid Series||In the Dark Realm||Brinstar Depths|
|386||Peppy Hare||Dojo (Air Style)
Increases air power and jump height, but decreases ground power and move speed.
|Star Fox Series||In the Light Realm||Main Theme - Star Fox 64 (Melee)|
|440||Slowpoke||Dojo (Forgetful Style)
Allows a Spirit to instantly forget a Style, disabling any stat alterations it imposes.
|Pokémon Series||In the Light Realm||Road to Viridian City - Pokémon Red / Pokémon Blue|
|592||Dr. Stewart||Dojo (Runner Style)
Majorly increases move speed, but majorly decreases jump height.
|F-Zero Series||In the Dark Realm (top branch on the left)||Mute City (for 3DS / Wii U)|
|678||Ryoma||Dojo (Demon style)
Majorly increases offense, but majorly decreases defense.
|Fire Emblem Series||In the Light Realm||Lost in Thoughts All Alone (for 3DS / Wii U)|
|727||Dyntos||Dojo (Equipment Style)
Increases item power and amount of healing received by items, but decreases attack power, special-move power, and throw power.
|Kid Icarus Series||In the Light Realm||Lightning Chariot Base|
|735||Kat & Ana||Dojo (Ninja Style)
Majorly increases throw power, grab power, item power, move speed, and fall speed, but majorly decreases attack power, special-move power, defense, and weight.
|WarioWare Series||In the Light Realm||WarioWare, Inc.|
|841||Copper & Booker||Dojo (Brick-Wall Style)
Majorly increases defense, but majorly decreases offense.
|Animal Crossing Series||In the Light Realm||Title Theme - Animal Crossing: Wild World (Brawl)|
|897||Gravity Man||Dojo (Gravity Style)
Majorly increases jump height, but majorly decreases move speed and fall speed.
|Mega Man Series||In the Dark Realm||Gravity Man Stage|
|923||Wii Balance Board||Dojo (Lightweight Style)
Increases move speed and jump height, but decreases offense, defense, and weight.
|Wii Fit Series||In the Light Realm||Training Menu - Wii Fit U|
|958||Riki (Xenoblade Chronicles)||Dojo (Strategist Style)
Increases special-move power, but decreases attack power, throw power, and item power.
|Xenoblade Chronicles Series||In the Light Realm||Gaur Plain (Night)|
|983||Zangief||Dojo (Overthrow Style)
Increases throw power, grab range, and grab power, but decreases attack power, special-move power, and item power.
|Street Fighter Series||In the Light Realm (in the World Tour sub-area)||Zangief Stage Type A|
|1,041||Cap'n Cuttlefish||Dojo (Land Style)
Increases ground power and move speed, but decreases air power and jump height.
|Splatoon Series||In the Light Realm||Muck Warfare|
Spirits can sometimes be bought from the Vault's Shop for Gold, but there are also five other shops that can be unlocked after defeating their corresponding master spirits in World of Light that uses SP for payment. Each of these has a selection of spirits with a particular theme, and may also sell snacks, support items, and Skill Spheres. A few spirits can only be found in these shops.
A list of spirits that can only be obtained from Shops can be found here.
|141||Funky Kong||Shopping (Funky Kong's Shack)
Tends to have spirits connected to vehicles or transportation
|Donkey Kong Series||In the Light Realm (in the Kongo Jungle sub-area)||Funky's Fugue|
|253||Beedle||Shopping (Beedle's Tent)
Tends to have spirits that are living creatures
|The Legend of Zelda Series||In the Light Realm||Village of the Blue Maiden|
|671||Anna||Shopping (Anna's Emporium)
Tends to have spirits with equipment
|Fire Emblem Series||In the Light Realm||Conquest (Ablaze)|
|830||Timmy & Tommy ||Shopping (Timmy and Tommy's)
Tends to have spirits that are related to items
|Animal Crossing Series||In the Light Realm||Town Hall and Tom Nook's Store - Animal Crossing: Wild World|
|1,032||Sheldon||Shopping (Sheldon's Place)
Tends to have spirits related to weapons
|Splatoon Series||In the Light Realm||Kraken Up|
The following is a list of quotes said by the master spirits when a player visits their respective facilities.
- "Want to buy this spirit?"
- "Want to buy this item?"
- "Thanks for the SP! I mean...patronage!"
- "Sorry, I'm waiting on my next order. Come back later, though!"
- "Come back soon!"
- "Oh my! Hello hello!"
- "That's a good price for a spirit. Primaries are a big deal!"
- "That's a good price for a spirit. Like items? Then I recommend this."
- "That's a pretty swell spirit! Nice if you love to run and jump!"
- "Would you like to buy this spirit?"
- "Feed this tasty little guy to a spirit to increase its level a little bit."
- "Feed this delectable delicacy to a spirit to increase its level."
- "YUM! These things are sooooo tasty! They increase a spirits level A LOT."
- "Would you like to buy this item?"
- "Thank you! You're my favorite!"
- "I'm going to get new things! Hold on tight!"
- "Come again!"
- "Oho! Been waitin' for ya, bucko!"
- "If ya learn my style, you'll be the strongest fighter in the land!"
- "So, what's the plan?"
- "Heave ho!"
- "What's your plan with that spirit?"
- "You wanna take this spirit back?"
- "Come back anytime!"
- "I'll teach ya Land Style instantly for a small fee. Say...[number]00SP?"
- "This spirit's looking mighty fresh if I do say so myself!"
- "Done for the day? I squid you farewell!"
- "The name's Captain Charlie. Are you here for the research mission?"
- "Select the team members."
- "All right, let's head out!"
- "Are you aborting the mission?"
- "Oh, do you want to withdraw?"
- "End of day already?"
- "Mission complete!"
- "Ready to continue our research?"
- "Maybe another day..."
Copper & Booker
- "Hello, citizen!"
- "This is what can be expected from mastering our style!"
- "What would you like to do?"
- "Training begins now!"
- "What would you like to do?"
- "I think a break is in order, don't you?"
- "Good work, citizen!"
- "You can spend [number]00SP to learn Brick-Wall Style immediately!"
- "The style has been mastered!"
- "Please have a safe journey!"
- "Oh! Oh-oh!"
- "Learning my style will make you tough and quick."
- "Let's get rollin'!"
- "ALL RIGHT! Leave it to me."
- "What are we doin' here?"
- "You want this spirit to quit training?"
- "Come again!"
- "I can teach this spirit Boulder Style right away for [number]00SP."
- "HOT! This spirit's part of the family now!"
- "Come back when you're ready to rock."
- "Lookin' good, baby!"
- "Now, what'll it be?"
- "Dance like a fly, bite like a mosquito!"
- "That's the spirit. You the real deal, kid!"
- "We're just getting warmed up. You SURE you wanna stop training?"
- "Shake it off, baby!"
- "Done already? We'll see ya."
- "I've been waiting."
- "Take a look at my practiced style!"
- "Now then, just what are you after?"
- "I've got plenty to teach."
- "How can I help?"
- "Going to call it quits?"
- "I'll be here when you change your mind."
- "With [number]00SP, I can teach the Runner Style right away."
- "Success. That's the power of science!"
- "Come back anytime."
- "Wha ha ha ho ho! Why, hello there!"
- "If I teach you my style, these are the effects it'll have!"
- "Now, what'll it be?"
- "Now then, let's see what kind of power you've got..."
- "What'll you have me do with this one?"
- "What? Stop the training?"
- "Come back again."
- "I can teach you my Equipment Style for [number]00SP."
- "Oh ho ho ho ho. Not bad."
- "I'll be waiting."
- "Hey, hey! Come kick it Kong-style!"
- "This spirit's the real deal! Feelin' funky? This one's for you!"
- "This spirit's the real deal! This one's a red-hot primary."
- "You wanna get your hands on this spirit?"
- "This tasty little dude can increase a spirit's level a bit!"
- "Oh yeah, sweet pick! That'll level up a spirit real nice."
- "This crunchy munchy has that power! It can level up a spirit A CRAZY amount!"
- "Decided you want some Adventure Skills? This item is your best friend!"
- "You wanna get your hands on this item?"
- "Nice choice!"
- "Sorry, I'm out of stock right now. Come back later—it'll be EPIC!"
- "Come back again! I'll be here!"
- "Ah, a fellow physics lover."
- "At the conclusion of our experiment, the subject will be able to defy gravity itself!"
- "Who will participate in the experiment?"
- "Let's begin..."
- "How do you want to proceed?"
- "Halt the experiment?"
- "Do what you must."
- "You can learn Gravity Style right away with [number]00SP."
- "We've done it! Take that, Newton!"
- "We part ways, and yet the planet does move."
- "My my! Welcome."
- "These are the kinds of things you can expect from our style."
- "Whomever will you choose?"
- "That's the ticket!"
- "What shall you do?"
- "Oh my... Is it time to stop?"
- "What a pity..."
- "For a mere [number]00SP, we can teach Big-Bee Style right away!"
- "Ah, marvelous. Really quite perfect."
- "Come visit again! Ohoho!"
Kat & Ana
- "Surprise! Kat & Ana make their appearance!"
- "If we teach our style, theeeeese are the effects!"
- "Train together with us!"
- "Yaaaay! Exciting!"
- "What's wrong?"
- "Wanna quit training?"
- "All right, that's it!"
- "For [number]00SP, we can teach Ninja Style right away!"
- "Amazing. We did it!"
- "Bye byyye!"
- "ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! (That's probably a greeting.)"
- "Gwoooh! Guruoo... (He's explaining what the style does.)"
- "Grruurrr... (He seems to be waiting for you to choose.)"
- "Gaaaaahhh! (That's a...happy noise?)"
- "Ga-rurr... (That's basically "what now?")"
- "Gurru... (He isn't listening. Quit training?)"
- "Gy-aon! (That must be "come back soon!")"
- "Guwaaa [number]SP GRAAAAH! (Likely the price of learning the style.)"
- "Guuuuooon!! (He seems pleased.)"
- "Gug yaaah! (See...you...later?)"
- "Ah, you're here! Great fortune awaits!"
- "Hurry and assemble your party!"
- "Full speed ahead!"
- "I suppose I'll dismiss the party then. You're sure about this?"
- "You really want to cancel the voyage?"
- "But what about the treasure?"
- "Oh, you made it back! So? Find any treasure?!"
- "You want to explore a bit more?"
- "That's a shame... come back soon!"
- "Hello there!"
- "This is what'll happen if the spirit masters the Air Style."
- "What would ya like to do?"
- "Never give up! Trust your instincts!"
- "What did ya want to do with this spirit?"
- "Ya want to take this spirit back?"
- "All right, keep it up!"
- "Do you want to spend [number]00 SP to learn Air Style?"
- "All right! I have nothin' more to teach!"
- "Mission complete! Come back later."
Riki (Xenoblade Chronicles)
- "Friends keep Riki waiting!"
- "Learn style of Riki and get these best effects!"
- "What friends want do?"
- "Heropon give special sidekick training!"
- "How Riki can help you?"
- "Leave training?"
- "Left training!"
- "You give [number]00SP and Riki teach Strategist Style right away!"
- "Sidekick learned new style! Grow big-strong!"
- "Visit Riki anytime!"
- "Good to see you here!"
- "If a spirit masters my style, this is what you can expect."
- "What would you like to do?"
- "Now, give it your all!"
- "What would you like to do with this spirit?"
- "Would you like to take this spirit back?"
- "You're welcome to come back."
- "Would you like the spirit to instantly learn the Demon Style for [number]00 SP?"
- "All right, that's enough. It's certainly learned something!"
- "That's enough for today. Come back another time."
- "Hello, hello!"
- "You want to buy this spirit?"
- "You want to buy this item?"
- "Thank you!"
- "I'm all out of stock right now. Come back later!"
- "Please come again!"
- "Slowpoke is standing in the middle of a dojo."
- "Slowpoke looks like it wants to say something...but it doesn't."
- "Slowpoke stares at you blankly with its mouth open."
- "Slowpoke used Amnesia!"
- "Your spirit forgot [style]."
- "Slowpoke stares at you blankly as you leave."
Timmy & Tommy
- "Welcome! Come on in!"
- "That spirit is nicely priced. Movement is key, ya know!"
- "That spirit is nicely priced. Especially for defensive types!"
- "This spirit is a real winner. Never underestimate a good item."
- "This spirit is a real winner. You can never have too many primaries!"
- "Are you interested in purchasing this spirit?"
- "This item will increase a spirit's level by a little bit."
- "This item will increase a spirit's level quite a bit."
- "This item will increase a spirit's level by a WHOLE LOT! So much!"
- "This one deals 50% damage to any opponent on the Spirit Board."
- "Are you interested in purchasing this item?"
- "Thank you kindly! Thanks!"
- "We'll be restocked in a bit. Please come back later! You're always welcome!"
- "Thank you very much! So much!"
- "Welcome! Let's hurry off—to adventure!"
- "Choose up to four treasure trackers!"
- "Let's move out!"
- "Done adventuring already?"
- "So, did you find anything?"
- "Awww. You want to cancel the expedition?"
- "That's it for today! Job well done."
- "Oh! Welcome back! Find anything?"
- "Ready to go on another adventure?"
- "I'll be waiting for you!"
Wii Balance Board
- "Who's ready to get fit? Wii are!"
- "Rest assured--the data doesn't lie."
- "Who would you like me to train?"
- "Let's give it our all!"
- "What'll you do?"
- "End your training?"
- "Good hustle. We'll continue later."
- "With [number]00SP, I can teach the Lightweight Style right away."
- "Congratulations! Your spirit reached its goal!"
- "Please come back sometime."
- "I thank you for coming. I will toughen up spirit!"
- "If I teach style, you will notice powerful, strong-arm effects!"
- "Show me muscle power!"
- "Come! Get in close! MUSCLE POWER!"
- "Hm? What is wrong?"
- "You want to give this one breather?"
- "After breather, we do piledriver!"
- "With [number]00SP, you learn Overthrow Style now!"
- "Khoroshiy! You are fierce like bear!"
- "Nwaahaha! Come back later!"
- The Legend of Zelda series has the most master spirits. It is also the only series to have all types of facilities, excluding Gyms.
- Capcom is the only third-party company to have master spirits, namely Zangief and Gravity Man.
- Zangief and Funky Kong are the only master spirits located within a sub-world. Consequently, Zangief's Dojo is the only Dojo in a sub-world, while Funky Kong's Shack is the only Shop in a sub-world.
- Dr. Stewart, Gravity Man, and Kraid are the only master spirits to be located within the Dark Realm. Since all three spirits run Dojos, no other type of facility is located in the Dark Realm.
- The results screen after each master spirit battle shows the master spirit as a novice support spirit.
- Kraid's Tank Style Dojo is the only facility that must be unlocked to complete the World of Light, since it lies along the path towards the Sacred Land.
|by categories||Primary spirit (Enhanceable spirit) · Support spirit · Master spirit · Fighter spirit · (All spirits) · Summon · DLC Spirits (DLC changes)|
|by series||Super Mario · Donkey Kong · The Legend of Zelda · Metroid · Yoshi · Kirby · Star Fox · Pokémon · EarthBound · F-Zero · Ice Climber · Fire Emblem · Game & Watch · Kid Icarus · Wario · Metal Gear · Sonic the Hedgehog · Pikmin · R.O.B. · Animal Crossing · Mega Man · Wii Fit · Punch-Out!! · Pac-Man · Xenoblade Chronicles · Duck Hunt · Street Fighter · Final Fantasy · Bayonetta · Splatoon · Castlevania · Persona · Dragon Quest · Banjo-Kazooie · Fatal Fury · ARMS · Minecraft · Tekken · Kingdom Hearts · Mii · Super Smash Bros. · Others|