Tournament:Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018
|Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018|
|Dates||June 12th, 2018|
|Venue||The Belasco Theater|
|Address/City||1050 S Hill St|
Los Angeles, California
The Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018 was an invitational tournament held by Nintendo at E3 2018, that took place on the night of June 12th, 2018. The tournament was announced on March 22nd, 2018 via Nintendo's YouTube channel. Much like Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. 4, the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was showcased prior to its release at this tournament. The tournament was held following the conclusion of the Splatoon 2 World Championship.
According to Nintendo's E3 website and a post from their What's New blog, top players from across the globe will be participating. A few people who are "dressed as their favorite Nintendo character" and other invited guests will be able to play on-stage in exhibitions.
|Leonardo "MkLeo" Perez|
|Gonzalo "ZeRo" Barrios|
|Adam "Armada" Lindgren|
|Yuta "Abadango" Kawamura|
|Justin "Plup" McGrath|
|Ramin "Mr.R" Delshad|
|Jose "Lucky" Aldama|
|Joseph "Mango" Marquez|
- Both Nairo and Leffen were back-up contestants. Nairo would ultimately play as Snake in a 1v3 exhibition match against three guest stars, which he won, and Leffen played ZeRo in a set for Nintendo Treehouse Live.
- Mr.R and Lucky only played two matches, so were unable to use Little Mac and Fox respectively.
- No player included Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Ness, Ice Climbers, Zelda, or Mega Man in their character bank.
- Zelda Williams
- Alanah “Charalanahzard” Pearce
- Devin “devinsupertramp” Graham
- Andre “Black Nerd” Meadows
- GENESIS Head TO Team
- Larry Lurr
- Mike Haze
- Smash Studios
- Super Smash Con Team Members
- Toronto Joe
- Winners Round 1 was a doubles match with 3 stocks, 7 minutes, and the Smash Ball on.
- Elimination Round 1 was a doubles match with 4 stocks, 6 minutes, and all items on.
- Winners Rounds 2 and 3 were singles matches with 3 stocks, 6 minutes, and the Smash Ball on. In Round 3, stage hazards were disabled.
- Elimination Round 2 was a free-for-all four-player match on Battlefield with 4 stocks, 6 minutes, and all items on. Only the 1st place finisher advanced.
- Elimination Round 3 was a singles match with 4 stocks, 6 minutes, and all items on.
- Grand Finals was a best-of-three set of singles matches on Battlefield Ω with 3 stocks, 6 minutes, and all items off.
- ZeRo was the only invited player to return from the first Invitational, which he won.
- The match pitting MkLeo (Bayonetta) against Plup (Ridley) was controversial, as the match was hugely in MkLeo's favor. This is mostly due to him using Bayonetta, who is a highly controversial character in general, as people considered her to be broken in Smash 4. However, another crucial element was the fact that Plup was using Ridley, who is a new character that he wasn't very familiar with, and possessed a massive hurtbox that made him easy to juggle with a character like Bayonetta.
- In a doubles match with Mr.R and Lucky against Plup and Abadango, Lucky repeatedly mistakenly attacked Mr.R, due to believing the match was a free-for-all instead of a 2v2. It's likely that, as a Melee player, Lucky simply forgot about the ability to choose costumes in teams (which was added in Smash 4).