Tournament:Smash Summit 12
|Smash Summit 12|
|Dates||December 9th-12th, 2021|
|Venue||Beyond the Summit|
Los Angeles, California
|Organizer(s)||Beyond the Summit|
Smash Summit 12 was a Super Smash Bros. Melee invitational tournament. It was the twelfth installment of the Smash Summit series for Melee, and was held on December 9th-12th, 2021 at Beyond the Summit's studio in Los Angeles, California, which is closed to the general public.
iBDW took first place at the event, defeating Leffen 3-2 and aMSa 3-1 to make it into winners' finals for his first time at a Summit event. In his set against Zain in winners' finals, iBDW would lose game one and unexpectedly counter-pick Zain to Final Destination game two, which was widely seen as an unpopular decision. Despite this, iBDW managed to two-stock Zain on FD to even up the score 1-1. After losing game three, iBDW would take the set to a game five and beat Zain 3-2 for the first time in his career to make it into grand finals on winners' side, where he would 3-0 Mango to take his first Summit win as well as his second major tournament win without dropping a set. Mango also had an impressive run at the tournament. Fresh off his previous Summit win, he managed to defeat Wizzrobe in winners' quarters 3-2 before getting 3-0'd by Zain in winners' semis. In the losers' bracket, he went on to defeat Leffen and Wizzrobe 3-2 to reach losers' finals, where he defeated Zain 3-1 before getting 3-0'd by iBDW in grand finals to secure a 2nd place finish.
The following players were invited by Beyond The Summit:
The top 6 players at Mainstage 2021 qualified:
Players voted in
These players were eliminated in voting:
- FatGoku, Raikin, Zamu, Palpa (November 24th)
- skullbro, Asashi, Ben, Logan (November 26th)
- Soonsay, Eddy Mexico (November 28th)
- n0ne, NoFluxes, TheSWOOPER (November 30th)
- Ringler, SluG (December 2nd)
These players were eliminated in the nomination phase:
|Captain G||Chape||DarkGenex||Free Balloon Day||JCAM||Kevbot||Koobie||Lotfy||Rocky||Secrets|
Players were eligible if they met the following requirements:
- Placing top 64 at Rollback Rumble: THE BIG ONE (NA singles only), Riptide, or Mainstage 2021 (Mainstage eligibility activated on November 16th)
- Placing top 32 at Low Tide City 2021
- Placing top 16 at Super Smash Con: Fall Fest
- Placing top 8 at Smash Kumite DX 1, Battle GateWay 31, or EBONG 2021
- Top 8 on the Australia 2021 Power Rankings
- Top 16 of the S.A.M.E 2021 circuit
- Participating in Summit Champions League Season 1 or 2, a Smash World Tour 2021 Regional Finals event, or in any Melee Smash Summit
Super Smash Bros. Melee singles
Draft Crew Battle
- Each team selects three stages to ban from the complete list of stages for the duration of the crew battle.
- The 6 tournament legal stages are automatically banned, leaving 23 stages legal.
- Each team selects three items to turn on for the duration of the crew battle.
- Item frequency is set to medium.
- The first match of the crew battle is played on a random stage.
- The incoming player selects the next stage, with no bans.
- Players are not character locked.
|3rd||Team Zain||Zain||Tyler Swift||Wizzrobe||Free Palestine|
Wheel! Of! Bullshit!
- Rock paper scissors is played, the winner gets to decide who spins the wheel.
- The wheel must be spun at least one full rotation.
- Wheel segments: Connect Four, Giant Melee, Mr. Saturn on VERY HIGH, Pokémon Battle (Poké Ball on high, only Poké Ball attacks and Poké Ball reflecting allowed), Single Button Melee, Blindfolded, Spinner Wins, THE PIT (bottom of Temple), Rishi's Jungle Jam (3 stocks, Kongo Jungle, Starman on very low), Celebrity Game (select a player who is not a Summit participant or ever ranked Top 100), CPU Battle, Plead Your Case (debate for being the winner), Spinner Loses, Home Run Contest
- Best of 1 (except for Rishi's Jungle Jam being best of 5), Finals is best of 3.
- Previous segments can not be played again.
- Connect Four, Mr. Saturn on VERY HIGH, THE PIT, Spinner Loses, and Home Run Contest were not played.
- Coin Battle and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate were listed in the voting shop goal, but were not on the wheel.
Commentator Crew Battle
|Team Scar||Character||Stocks Taken||Team Toph||Character||Stocks Taken|
*DQ'd in losers.
- Pipsqueak was the first player announced for both Smash Summit 12 and Smash Summit 13, qualifying for the latter by winning SAME Finale 2021.
- This is the first Melee Smash Summit without Axe or Plup competing, making Mango the only player to participate in every Melee Smash Summit.
- This is the first Smash Summit where every player in attendance was able to win at least one set.
- This is the first Smash Summit to omit a competitor in the official poster (albeit by accident). Near the bottom right corner, the poster mistakenly features DarkGenex (a VIP of the event) instead of Tyler Swift.
- Sora's first two pools sets were delayed from Friday to Saturday due to him feeling food poisoning on Friday morning.
- All three reverse 3-0's of the tournament happened to Leffen. They were done by Wizzrobe, iBDW, and Mango.
- Mango and Leffen's set in losers' quarterfinals marks the fourth time Mango has four-stocked Leffen on a unique stage in tournament, due to Mango four-stocking him on Pokémon Stadium in game 3.
- This is the first Melee Summit to feature two spacies facing each other in grand finals.
- This is the first Melee Summit where grand finals ended in a 3-0.