Forum:Smash Arena Suggestions
This forum has the purpose of helping to select what battles will eventually take place in the Smash Arena. If you would like to make a suggestion, please feel free to leave it here. New suggestions are placed at the bottom of the page. Be sure to state your reason you suggested it and put the support, reject, and comments sections underneath it.
Like the idea? Be sure to give it your support. Note that this page is not to be used for the actual voting between fighters; that happens in the Arena itself. Remember, the combatants don't necessarily have to be able to fight each other normally in Smash Bros.
- Only Smash Bros.-related fights are permitted. Fights don't have to be between playable characters, but the combatants must have appeared in at least one Smash Bros. game.
- Outside very specific circumstances, no fights are allowed between combatants that only appear in a game (or a batch of downloadable content) that has yet to be released.
- If there are already 10 open suggestions, you should probably reconsider adding a new one. If there are 15, it is highly recommended you do not. There is no limit to the number of open suggestions, but having too many clutters the page and makes it more difficult to keep track of.
- Check this list to view the fights that have been done. Repeat fights are permitted if they occurred 100 or more rounds ago. As matchups over 100 rounds ago are moved off that particular list, the list is the definitive source on what can't be repeated. Note that repeats close to this cutoff may still be valid if the queue is full enough that the fight's acceptance will allow it to be outside the 100-round zone.
- Do not post more than one suggestion at a time. Each user may post one suggestion per week (i.e. one every seven days).
- Sign your suggestions/votes/comments with ~~~~ and a # in front of it (you don't necessarily have to put # in the comments sections, but you do have to sign with ~~~~).
- Place new suggestions at the bottom of the page.
- You can retract and remove your own suggestion, but it still counts as your suggestion for that week.
- If your suggestion is removed because it's invalid or because your week isn't up, it doesn't count as your suggestion for that week. That said, users who constantly post invalid or rapid-fire suggestions may be suspended from suggesting for a few weeks, and may risk probation.
- Similarly to the above, you cannot edit a suggestion once people have started to vote on it. Editing the description is fine, just don't alter the combatants.
Voting and comments
- Don't vote on your own suggestion.
- Post why you support/oppose. Don't just say, "Oh, this is a cool idea". Explain why you like/don't like the fight. This is not required but adds credence to your opinion - remember, suggestions are not accepted or rejected based on a simple vote count.
- The comments section is to be used for relevant comments only.
- Do not use this page to argue with other users over their reasons and opinions. You can civilly point out an inconsistency or mistake in their description, but if you say things like, "That's stupid", that could potentially start an argument in the comments, you are breaching this rule.
- Do not make this page into the Smash Arena itself. This is for deciding what goes there, not voting on the winner.
Acceptance or rejection
- The SA operator(s) has final say over all the fights. Suggestions and comments are merely a way for the community to influence the fights, and can be used, edited, or ignored at the operator(s)'s discretion.
- Acceptance of fights is not based simply on votes. The votes are used to judge the community's opinion of the matchup; again it is solely the operator(s)'s decision on what the bouts are.
- Suggestions are purged every time a new Smash Arena round is posted. It is at this time they are either accepted and placed into the queue, or they are rejected. Not all suggestions are purged at once - only those that are both older than the rest and have higher vote counts. Usually suggestions need at least 5 votes to be decided upon, unless they are very old.
- In the vein of the above, do not repost a suggestion of yours that has been removed recently, since it's either already lined up or been rejected. See the Queue section for an idea of how long it may take for your suggestion to show up.
- If a suggestion of yours has been rejected in the past, you may repost it three months (90 days) after its rejection. However, it is unlikely for a rejected suggestion to be accepted in the future, so it is likely more productive to suggest something else.
- Descriptions are not guaranteed to be included as-is should a suggestion pass.
- In most cases, the combatants of a match should share similarities but have key differences. However, matchups between total opposites are also interesting. Avoid the middle ground where combatants have little in common but are also not polar opposites.
- Protagonist vs. antagonist matches (e.g. Mario vs. Bowser) are valid, and many of them succeed in the arena, but are usually pushed aside by the community in favour of matchups that are less "obvious". Matchups born from in-game events (e.g. Subspace Emissary groupings) or matchups that are big in their home universes but not necessarily in Smash Bros. (e.g. legendary Pokémon fights) tend to fall into this as well.
- While rematches are valid once 100 rounds have passed, do not expect much enthusiasm for them unless the original match was very close or a tie.
- Regular matches (one-on-one) are favoured far more than three-way fights. If you have an idea for a three-way fight, see if one of the three combatants is really necessary, and try to get it down to two. Fights of more than three participants have to be sock-knocking genius in order to be even considered, so unless you're convinced it will be very popular, turn your efforts to something else.
- The description can sway peoples' opinions of a matchup. While the most interesting suggestions can be accepted on their own merits, those in the middle can be made or broken by how you present them.
The current queue is as such:
Hover the cursor over a round number to see its predicted start date. Empty spots are shown in grey.
When the queue becomes full (all the grey spots are filled up), suggestions will be suspended. You may continue to vote on current suggestions, but no more may be proposed. Once the queue drains out to a size of one, suggestions will be re-opened.
The queue is not set in stone; new suggestions may appear before older ones and it may change at any time. The queue attempts to balance out fights so that specific participants or universes aren't used too much in a short time.
The contents of the queue are a secret to maintain mystery and intrigue.
Show Your Support
|Discord Smash Arena|
|LADIES & GENTS! Come to the Cuphead vs. Sans!and vote on Round 59:|
To make a suggestion the easy way, copy the following code, paste it into the bottom of the editing window, and fill out the relevant parts:
==<participant 1> vs. <participant 2>== <description of fight, maybe a few reasons you think it would be a good matchup> ~~~~ ===Support=== ===Oppose=== ===Comments===
Rosalina vs. Bowser Jr.
Two of the newest characters from the Mario universe makes it into SSB4. Both have chargeable projectiles which stop dead upon hit. Who will rule 21st century Mario? ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) is a never lover boy 22:00, 9 December 2017 (EST)
I agree with Crazy Rhino. It's interesting. Why not. Blueflame105
Kind of an obvious one. TheNuttyOne 14:50, 7 June 2018 (EDT)
Bowser vs. Bowser Jr.
It's the battle of the Koopas! The Koopa King and the Koopa Prince are a royal duo. Who will rule this Koopa brawl between two Mario universe enemies? Dragonfirebreath25 (talk) 07:49, 23 March 2018 (EDT)
Sure, why not? TheNuttyOne 14:50, 7 June 2018 (EDT)
I don't know. This seems kind of obvious. I don't think they're different enough. You're entitled to your opinion though. Blueflame105
Both characters are fun and have a special move that can negate most projectiles (Pocket and Gravitational Pull, respectively) and are both fairly new. Both are newcomers. Who would win? What do you think? 22.214.171.124 16:02, 9 May 2018 (EDT)Blueflame105 3:01, March 9 2018 (American Central Time)
This is a great idea. Has my support. YoshisaurusThe9th
I don't really get the connection. TheNuttyOne 14:50, 7 June 2018 (EDT)
The only unlockable females in the series. One fights to repair the future, the other fights to take over the world. One is driven and kind, the other is bratty and vicious. Which one reigns supreme? TheNuttyOne 14:50, 7 June 2018 (EDT)
Just no. Please no. Also, Wendy isn't unlockable in for Wii U, and neither is Lucina, so that's driven entirely from the 3DS version, right? 126.96.36.199 12:03, 8 June 2018 (EDT) Blueflame105
It's a cool idea, so I'll support this. I would definitely vote for Hammer Bro. though. I hate going up against Lakitu. 188.8.131.52 12:04, 8 June 2018 (EDT)Blueflame105
Rematches are uninteresting in general, especially now that we're going to have 5 Smash games and now, there are more Mario based assists. ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) is a never lover boy 23:43, 21 July 2018 (EDT)
Not saying it couldn't happen as it was more than 100 matches ago, but discovered this same matchup with their Brawl incarnations in the archives. While I do like this matchup and fully support it, it does say you aren't likely to get a repeat unless people really want a different result or it was a tie. 184.108.40.206 19:06, 6 July 2018 (EDT)Blueflame105
3, 2, 1... GO! Two stages from Mario Kart battle it out in a race to the finish. One is from Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the other is from Mario Kart 7. Who will take the checkered flag in this match? Dragonfirebreath25 (talk) 01:10, 17 June 2018 (EDT)
I mean... yeah. TheNuttyOne 20:42, 21 July 2018 (EDT)
ABSOLUTELY! Ultimate looks really good. Counting down the days till December 9th..... 220.127.116.11 22:30, 21 July 2018 (EDT)Blueflame105
Kirby Vs. Jigglypuff
Pink. Puffy. Powerful. Wait, which one am I talking about? It's pink puffball on pink puffball in this puffball brawl. Both are floaty, pink, and overall competitively useless! Both of their up specials can hinder their recoveries, but can jump a lot (maybe too much) so it's all good. It's the ULTIMATE BATTLE! What's that? You say it's not? Well then, Kirby or Jigglypuff. 18.104.22.168 08:53, 22 July 2018 (EDT)Blueflame105
This match was already done in a lopsided result. Also I noticed that much of your contributions have been Smash Arena related and we're currently on a Red wiki status and spending to much time in the Smash Arena without contributing to the mainspace can result in an IP block (or probation if you're a registered user). ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) is bad for me 18:52, 23 July 2018 (EDT)
I apologize. I was not aware of this, and will refrain from doing Smash Arena things, at least until wiki status lowers. I have been attempting tobe more helpful on the wiki, but overall, I'm not good at it. 22.214.171.124 22:51, 25 July 2018 (EDT)Blueflame105
Cloud Strife Vs. Solid Snake
While these two super soldiers are largely considered Playstation classics, they've found there way into Nintendo's big crossover. Both may take some stuff through cloning (Cloud has Zack's memories and abilities, Snake is a literal clone of Big Boss) but who comes out on top? Btw, they're both relatively mature for Nintendo titles --Myth 21:19, 11 August 2018 (EDT)
They are great characters in both Smash 4 and Ultimate so, let's do it! By the way, Cloud's debut game is Final Fantasy VII, while Metal Gear Solid is Snake's first game. Dragonfirebreath25 (talk) 15:23, 23 August 2018 (EDT)
Pretty simple idea. Battlefield vs its big bro. --Myth 12:05, 28 December 2018 (EST)
Two locations, one being a haunted mansion in the middle of a spooky forest that is home to a green-clad plumber, the other being a giant castle on the outskirts of Transylvania that is home to an evil vampire, both places equally spooky. --JackyBlooo (talk) 08:56, 3 January 2019 (EST)
I think another fun connection is Dracula's Castle used to replace Luigi's Mansion in PM. --Myth 18:32, 19 January 2019 (EST)
Yeah both places can be considered scary places. It would make a perfect battle. Corrin Fan 14:25, 21 January 2019 (EST)
- Bayonetta and Joker are extremely similar, this battle could make a difference. Derekblue1 (talk) 09:54, April 15, 2020 (EDT)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong vs. Pacman
All three are iconic fighters who were huge hits in the early 1980s, shoot projectiles, and are great at rescuing people. But things have been bubbling around Peach since Wii U, and there is only one way to settle things. Which will get the princess? Met3oR (talk) 22:17, April 13, 2020