Forum talk:Smash Arena Suggestions
No repeat matches
Seeing how we're passing 100 rounds, once suggestions open again, I think we should allow repeat matches, as long as they happened at least 100 rounds ago. Such match ups occurred so long ago, where the active userbase was different than today, and the Smash Arena was less active with different voting rules, it would be interesting to see how these matches would play out now. It would also give those who missed out on those match ups a chance to vote on those matches. Omega Tyrant 04:32, 18 August 2011 (EDT)
- I approve of this and will allow it. Toomai Glittershine The Incomprehensible 20:43, 19 August 2011 (EDT)
"If there are already 10 open suggestions"
I suggest we make this a strict rule, rather than a mere recommendation, as plenty of users are ignoring it. Right now, we have a page with 18 suggestions, and that is over 70 kb in size, while growing. Such a large page could prevent users from discussing on it, as well as prevent some users from voicing their view on the suggesitons. Omega Tyrant 19:04, 24 August 2011 (EDT)
- Is it ok that 15 suggestions per page is the max. ..... lolz Airbore 19:18, 24 August 2011 (EDT)
Personally I'm fine with the current system. My opinion is that it's self-balancing - having a lot of suggestions at once means suggestions will be closed more often for longer perioids. If the suggesters want to blow themselves out and close suggestions in a week or two, that's fine with me. Toomai Glittershine The Honcho 19:51, 24 August 2011 (EDT)
- My concern though, is how large the page gets when there is no definite limit to suggestions at a time, which can prevent some people from commenting on the suggestions. Omega Tyrant 19:58, 24 August 2011 (EDT)
When will suggestions reopen?
I have a really cool idea for a future match, so when will suggestions reopen so I can post it? 18.104.22.168 03:29, 28 November 2011 (EST)
Now when will they reopen? 22.214.171.124 01:04, 23 June 2012 (EDT)
- 1-2 months from now. However, please remember that SSB Wiki is not just the Smash Arena. Do not edit SSB Wiki just for the sake of editing Smash Arena. MegaTron1XD 01:20, 23 June 2012 (EDT)
Do me a favor
- You can post multiple suggestions, but you must wait a week between each one, and you should reconsider if there are already a lot of open suggestions. Toomai Glittershine The Chilled 23:31, 18 April 2012 (EDT)
- If you mean "why were some deleted", then it's written in the rules: "Suggestions are purged every time a new Smash Arena round is posted." Toomai Glittershine The Inconceivable 23:19, 25 May 2012 (EDT)
- Not really a point to that, and creates unneeded overhead. Toomai Glittershine The Labbie 14:44, 14 July 2012 (EDT)
I'm not going to re-open suggestions for a single round's worth of slots. I'll produce a fight myself for that week, or reopen suggestions slightly earlier than usual to fill it. Toomai Glittershine The Xanthic 17:39, 16 July 2012 (EDT)
- It's in the queue. When a round ends, more suggestions get added to the queue. And you should start a new section about this, since the discussion above is old. Scr7 13:44, 3 August 2013 (EDT)
How much longer???
- When this reaches 169. The SA queue reduces in length once every week. So you're going to be waiting a long while yet. Toast ltimatum 15:42, 7 September 2012 (EDT)
- Well, the queue reached 169 so it's time for the suggestions to be opened. The Awesome 10:39, 31 December 2012 (EST)
- Ok. The Awesome 21:22, 31 December 2012 (EST)
Supposed you suggested a fight and at least one person voted to support or opposed it first, but then comments kept saying that one more participant should be added, removed, or replaced, would it be okay to alter the combatants in favor of the comments? ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) 23:25, 22 November 2013 (EST)
Official ban on Smash 4 newcomers?
I think we should make it an official rule that Smash 4 newcomers (characters, items, and other such elements) are banned from being suggested for the Smash Arena, until the game actually comes out and we get to play it. My reasoning for this:
- The relevance in a given matchup with a Smash 4 newcomer can change drastically by the time the game comes out, where the match can end up an incomplete or terrible idea. For example, someone suggested a Sonic vs Snake vs Megaman match, under the pretense that they're third party characters; however, more third party characters are likely to be added, in which case, we're left with the unappealling idea of redoing a match but just with an extra participant added.
- We don't actually know much about how these characters actually work in Smash, and thus these matches will be about impressions from short video clips and some images, or how we like the characters outside Smash.
- Many people vote on Smash Arena based on their own personal experience with the participants in the Smash games, and such people won't be able to give these matches a real vote since they can't have any experience with the participants.
- Such matches can be "spoiled" before they can achieve their maximum interest and relevance. By this I mean we can get a match and have it done but resulting in a landslide, before we get can the aforementioned experience and thus be fully interested in the match, but since it was a landslide, people won't want to do a rematch and thus the match ends up not getting a fair shake. For example, lets say we do that Peach vs. Rosalina match now, and Rosalina wins in a landslide. But when we actually get to play Smash 4, we find Rosalina to be a terribly designed character we don't like and wasn't at all what our impressions thought she would be, thus the match would end up much closer with much more votes, and maybe even results in Peach winning instead. But since the match was already done and it was nowhere close, people won't want to rematch it, thus "spoiling" the match.
- I thought the current wording of "the combatants must have appeared in at least one Smash Bros. game" implied past and disallowed future, but okay I can make this more explicit. The intent was certainly to disallow stuff from unreleased games outside specific circumstances. Toomai Glittershine The Chronicler 17:22, 19 December 2013 (EST)
- When we get around near round 233 which is sometime in May. ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) 00:49, 16 February 2014 (EST)
- This is never re-opening is it? --126.96.36.199 03:20, 14 September 2014 (EDT)
Now that the wiki is in yellow and that there's most likely going to be a new fight Friday/Saturday, can we reopen suggestions or should we wait a little longer? Rtzxy Reflect! 21:00, 8 December 2014 (EST)
- I'd like to get used to weekly updates again first. The queue should have drained enough by then. Toomai Glittershine The Xanthic 22:12, 8 December 2014 (EST)
- THe rules state that all participants must physically appear in a Smash Bros game. We once had a matchup between Smash Bros narrators since they're part of the game. Smashers only play the game. ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) is made in America 20:42, 7 June 2015 (EDT)
- Here's a clarification: Only Smash Bros.-related fights are permitted. Fights don't have to be between playable characters, but the combatants must have appeared in at least one Smash Bros. game. ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) is a never lover boy 20:45, 7 June 2015 (EDT)