Monsieur Ben Crow
|—The Tokens' The Lion Sleeps Tonight|
|Monsieur Ben Crow|
|Robin, Captain Falcon|
|Brawl mains||Ike, Ness|
|Meta Knight, Lucas|
|Fox, Captain Falcon, Kirby|
|Project M main||Link|
|Other Project M
|Crew(s)||Oakland University Smash|
|Skill|| Rubbish |
|Real name||Ben Crow|
|3DS Code||1307 0680 2890|
Welcome to my userspace.
I hope you find what you're looking for here.
I'm this bloke of Korean-Iranian descent.
I live in Troy, Michigan.
I attend Ferris State University in Big Rapids for pharmacy school.
I previously attended Oakland University in Rochester Hills for my undergraduate years.
I like writing stuff that you may or may not enjoy.
This includes short stories, novellas, visual novels, anecdotes, and more or less anything.
You can read some of my personal writings right here.
I am not terribly good at writing, but I have fun with it.
I usually listen to music of any sort while doing basically anything.
You can see and judge my taste in music here.
I play video games sometimes.
This should go without saying.
I'm particularly partial to shmups, adventure, simulation, and visual novels.
I quite enjoy reading, particularly "disturbing" literature, science fiction, true crime, and history.
Some of my favourite books include Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond, and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.
I am always open to new literature, though.
I watch baseball whenever I can.
My favourite team is the Detroit Tigers.
If a good series is on, sometimes I watch association football, ice hockey, and cricket.
My other interests include black tea, playing billiards, post-Renaissance art, playing Magic: The Gathering, studying modern history, thrifting, gardening, biking, and birdwatching.
I do not live a terribly exciting existence.
On my username
My old username was ReiDemon.
I wanted it to be Rei after the shaman from Fire Emblem, but someone already took it on the forum I wanted to join.
I don't know where I came up with Demon but it worked well enough for years until I got tired of it.
My current username is Monsieur Crow.
It was partially taken from the infamous Unreal Tournament 2004 character of Mr. Crow.
I changed Mister to Monsieur because it seemed to flow better.
It later became the basis for my pen name.
Note that I cannot actually speak French.
On the Wiki
I probably first edited this Wiki sometime in 2007.
I officially joined in July '08, and have suffered from numerous hiatuses and returns since then.
This technically makes me one of the oldest still-active contributors here.
Why I'm still here, and why I keep coming back, I will never know.
I usually rewrite articles.
Sometimes it's just a minor change in words.
Other times, I do total upheavals where the whole page is turned on its head.
Every so often, I bulk them up or cut them down.
Rarely, I create articles from scratch.
Occasionally, I upload images and audio files from the games.
I rarely create tables or templates by stealing code from other pages.
In total, I have made about 6,191 edits.
I will change articles tens of times before I'm content with my work.
This applies to images as well.
I use British spellings out of habit from high school.
I sometimes put dumb jokes and stupid comments in my edit summaries.
Try not to take anything I say too seriously.
I can and will break policy if I feel it will improve SmashWiki, and I have done so in the past.
If you have a problem with any of this, too bad.
Some images are taken via the built-in camera functions of the games.
Animated images are created with GifCam.
On sound files
I play the file in Project 64 or Dolphin, then use Audacity to record it as it is being played.
It is not a terribly exciting process.
I have rollback.
There's really not much else to say.
I rarely use Discord.
This might change.
On the games
The original is kinda fun.
Melee is still my favourite.
Brawl is okay.
Smash 4 is pretty neat.
Project M is cool.
Ultimate looks interesting.
I play and enjoy both casualfag and tourneyfag rules.
I have only taken part in local tournaments.
I never placed well, but I had fun.
I can play Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, and Smash 4 on 3DS online, but I'm unlikely to respond to any requests for netplay.
I just don't find much of a thrill from the games anymore.
I am available on Steam.
I'm always down for some Lethal League or Melty Blood.
I have uploaded this many images and sound files.
Pages I created:
- Sticker Center
- Japanese tier list
- Zero-to-death combo
- Gameplay modification
- Stage striking
- Unity Ruleset Committee
Policies I created:
- SmashWiki:New game procedure
- SmashWiki:Neutral Point of View
- SmashWiki:Manual of Style/Words to Watch
My current projects:
Heavily condensing the intros for fighter pages.Finished. SetupFinished. Unity Ruleset CommitteeFinished. SmashWiki:Be Bold, a guideline.Rejected. SmashWiki:Neutral Point of View, as to replace SmashWiki:Neutral tone guide.Accepted. SmashWiki:Manual of Style/Words to Watch, an add-on to SmashWiki:Manual of Style.Accepted. A rewrite of SmashWiki:New game procedureAccepted. SmashWiki:Ownership, my first proposed policyAccepted. Gallery A partial rewrite for our tier list page making this Wiki more equally focused on all three games; on some articles, it seems that the focus is primarily on Brawl, such as Stock.No longer needed. A partial rewrite for our Announcer articleFinished. A total rewrite for our Results Screen pageFinished. A template for SSBM pagesLost interest. CollectionFinished. Making a complete list of Notices for MeleeFinished. LanguageFinished. Sticker CenterFinished. Our "Did you know?" page, by providing information at least once a week.Lost interest. Commercials. Our current article lacks information. And YouTube tags are terrible.No further interest. Some sort of template for SSB4 pages.No longer interested. ChallongeFinished.
- Updating items articles to be more standardised and to have better formatting.
NetplayFinished. entire pages for the Melee fighters.It took me about three years, but I finished it.
Articles that I plan on working on include:
- Removing character matchups from 64 and Melee pages.
- Updating the character matchup articles themselves.
Intros for Brawl fighters, with a higher emphasis on the NPOV.Not needed anymore. Records, specifically the Melee section. Most relevant information added. I'd like to see some tables in there, though.Requires Smash 4 information.Pretty sure this is done. Opening movie. I see no reason to summarise what happens in a movie that anyone can watch.No longer interested in this.
- Gameplay. This article should cover what the gameplay of the games are, not the aspects of it.
Results screen. Not that it's of poor quality, but I feel the structure is too inherently limited to allow for good expansion.Finished. Pause - Add "In tournaments" sectionFinished. Announcer. At the present, the article feels too cluttered and features too much unneeded fluff.Finished. Moonwalk. For a technique that's pivotal in some matches, this article is pathetic in its coverage.Fixed. Egg. Disorganised mess is disorganised.As it turns out, this is a symptom of a larger problem.
- This section of the Kirby universe. I own Kirby Air Ride, and I can tell you there are a lot more similarities than there may seem.
- Unlockable. We have a List of unlockables as well. I fail to see the point of having both.
Polish up the Melee articles. Some inconsistencies in them are irking me.No longer a priority
- Revamp our items articles. Some of them don't even have "Origin" sections, and all of them effectively mix the introduction with "Operation".
Adventure Mode. This article reads more like a half-baked walkthrough rather than an encyclopaedia article.Beaten to the punch by Toomai. Giga Bowser. See above.Rewritten, thanks to someone else's undo.
- Find a way to include a link to Home-Run Stadium in Home-Run Contest. Additionally, clean-up in both articles is needed.
Fix stupid coding errors I made in some cquote tags.Seem to be fixed. Thanks, guys. Add an "Explanation" or similarly-titled section to our Event Match articles to describe what the matches are references to.No longer needed. Add some more info to our Debug menu article. I'd like to make it a tad similar to a guide on the menu.Finished while I was gone. Thanks, Serpent King. Training. This article doesn't seem to be sure on what it's covering.Finished. Make [[Category:Retired Smashers]].Lost interest.
- Make it so that Camera covers all aspects of the camera, and, if needed, make a separate article for the mode.
Create an Options page.Beaten to the punch by Queen Junko. Some videos for our new YouTube channel Computer is bad. Not gonna bother until I get a better graphics card. Computer improved thanks to King of Fighters XIII. Videos are possible, but not a priority.Yeah, this is never happening. Sorry. Try to make Zelda/Sheik have some actual content on it. Making it a disambiguation page doesn't seem correct. Perhaps Sheilda is a better choice of pages?Finished.
- Undergo a massive character rewrite project. I know it's in our interests to provide information on the base character, but the information wildly varies from "quite vague" to "more in-depth than fifteen articles put together". Other problems regarding inconsistencies, such as details on tier placement, are also present.
- Create a bot similar to Wikipedia's PNG Bot.
- Create a bot that can automatically alphabetise categories on pages.
Create Chest.Done. Didn't even need to draft it.
- A template for crew and/or sponsor pages. Might be a bit unwieldy, since most pages are relatively empty, but I'd want to avoid a mess like these pages.
I also suggested some Smash Arena fights.
- All-Star Rest Area (SSBM) vs. All-Star Rest Area (SSBB). All-Star Rest Area (SSBB) won. I wanted All-Star Rest Area (SSBM) to win, but I suppose you can't win everything.
- DACUS vs. Wavedash. This fight was used for "The Spiffy One Fifty". Wavedash won in a surprising reversal. Sorta like Turkey versus Croatia in Euro 2008.
- Jeff Manning vs. Dean Harrington vs. Pat Cashman. I like Dean Harrington as a voiceover the best, but Pat Cashman appeared in one of my favourite television shows as a child.
Assorted bits of insanity
- An attempt to decipher Japanese and the truth behind the rumours of Super Smash Bros.
- In which IRC users are given a super power, from a bygone era.
- A Hall of Fame for articles that are just too good to be forgotten.
- My unbiased opinions about IRC regulars, from a bygone era.
- Lists of stuff I like.
- A repository of minds.
- An unbiased look at Super Smash Bros. 4 newcomers.
- Pieces of old pages.
- The amiibo collection.
- An essay about me and Rayquaza07
- An essay about what it takes to be an admin
- A list of characters that have won a national tournament
- Studio 934, my blog where I post things sometimes.
- My YouTube channel, where I upload things sometimes.
- My Steam page, where I play games sometimes.
- My Tapped Out page, where I make decks sometimes.