Candidate, please summarize why you are running for adminship below.
As you all may have noticed, SmashWiki is lacking in available sysops. With the recent string of vandalism being any indication (which I helped fight), I feel it is time for me to apply for an administrative position, hopefully to stave off any future vandals that wish to harm the wiki.
Though I have been part of this wiki for not that long, as I joined late April, I have made noticeable contributions and have been regularly active. Before I joined SmashWiki, I was a contributor in Bulbapedia, so I came with prior knowledge of wiki structure. I also know my way around some of the administrative powers; as I am typing this, I am a Junior Administrator in Bulbapedia and a Rollbacker here. To be honest, the timing between account creation to rollbacker status in SmashWiki seemed rather quick; this might as well prove how attentive I am around here, especially when at the same time I am balancing wiki contributions and college. I can manage, though!
Among some of my contributions, I have done some janitorial work, including moving pages/files to more appropriate names, fixing double redirects, applying notice templates as needed, resolving the issue that prompted those notice templates, and so forth. A lot of pages that I created began with more than just bare essentials; I try to cover as much as I can before finishing page creation. If there's a subject I don't know about, I am willing to look it up before applying it to the page.
As far as discussions are concerned, I usually take a neutral stance at first. I ask myself before voting for or against; after placing my vote, I actively listen to those with opposing views, to see if there is a valid point stated by the dissenter. I am not afraid to stand my ground, though; if I need to prove that I'm right, I will. Finally, I try my best to respect and to teach newcomers around the wiki. When things get out of hand, I try to keep my cool and handle it seriously.
So, that does it. What do you think? Berrenta (talk) 00:00, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Support. Has done an amazing amount of work in reverting vandalism and keeping the wiki in good shape. I know Berrenta hasn't been around for a very long time, but she'd make a good admin. Qwerty (talk) 00:07, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- One of the most active users and makes lots of important edits. Tepig (talk) 00:38, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Support. Berrenta has done an impressive job in helping out the wiki. In addition, her Junior Administatorship (is that even a word?) on Bulbapedia shows her experience in this kind of work, and that she can handle it. PikaSamus (talk) 10:16, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Support I already thought she was an admin. SeanWheeler (talk) 11:03, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Strongly Support. She has contributed to the wiki and has done a incredible job editing. She would make a wonderful admin. SmashBros (talk) 16:07, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Oppose I'm going to have to admit that you have been quite a strong new user, especially for
a girl someone who has Junior admin experience on Bulbapedia. As one of the most active users on this wiki, you helped cleaned up a lot of the wiki and you done some great janitorial work. However what prevents me to supporting you is that it only looks like that you needed full adminship for the most used janitorial tools. Being an admin is not just about using tools to clean something up, an admin also holds responsibility of helping users solve user disputes and the like arguments. I'm happy to see that in the first time since 2012, we finally have a good user RfA in order to solve our "not enough admins" problem but I don't think you are ready to take on the responsibility of full adminship yet. Dots (talk) The Musician 00:53, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- I do not understand why gender matters in this case. MegaTron1XD 00:55, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- I could of been a little nicer and gone with neutral. To be honest, I'm generally not much of a fan of users getting adminship if they aren't too effective at disputes. Sorry for the gender part. Dots (talk) The Yoshi 01:03, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Light oppose I have extreme confidence that you would be very competent on SmashWiki, in fact, I think you're one of the most competent and professional users on this site. However, as Toast says, you don't interact with the community much at all, and I feel like that an admin requires more experience on SmashWiki, and somebody that's only been around since April doesn't really do it for me. Maybe give it a few months and try again? We'd love to get to know you better, but until then, I feel uneasy handing over the keys to adminship to someone that has minimal interaction with the wiki's users. Return of Air Conditioner might be a robot 07:18, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Inbetween oppose and neutral; leaning towards oppose While you are an active user that knows the wiki policies and is good at dealing with spam, I don't think you're on par with the current admins in terms of how experienced you are in general, although being a junior administrator on Bulbapedia does make this less of a problem (not sure how much experience there translates to experience here). I also think that you haven't taken part in enough large debates around the wiki to solidify your admin status, and I haven't seen you dealing with user conflicts and the like much. Scr7(talk · contribs) 11:09, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Oppose, citing short track record as reason. I for one can very much appreciate an active and useful, er, user. However, it's my personal opinion that an admin should have at least a year of experience on the wiki before attempting to gain a position of authority. While I think a new admin would be particularly great, considering the huge influx of information coming our way, I'm just not sure you're the individual for the job. This is the kind of thing one should be certain of, methinks...and I am not certain. Toymaker's Creation "Thank you for your contribution." 16:37, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Oppose While i may not be the one to speak out in RfA's and engage as much as in the community, I know people who have browsed this wiki for over 6 years and haven't even come close to ever having an adminship. Not to say they aren't qualified, but they know their limits. For you, it's far too soon, and overall, you haven't engaged as much with the rest of the Wiki to actually entail a support from me. Conny 17:00, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Neutral with a lean towards support. Positive but short track record on SmashWiki, but the junior adminship on Bulbapedia shows a level of wiki experience beyond just this site. Miles (talk) 01:13, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Neutral I'm very conflicted on this one. You definitely know what you're doing on the wiki, and have experience as a Junior Admin on NIWA's biggest site. I could trust you to be responsible and keep a level head, and to help newer users. We do have a shortage of admins (although this RfA may inadvertantly bring Omega Tyrant back, like Ye Olde Toasteth RfA did), which your promotion would help with. But as Mega pointed out, we haven't seen you get involved with disagreements and disputes, and even just user interaction in general. Part of this is my fault for letting real life steal me away from SmashWiki, but I don't feel like I know you yet. I haven't noticed you interact with many other users either, and you certainly aren't active on the IRC chat. An admin should be a big part of the community, at least in my opinion. If this were an application for Junior administrator, I'd be very supportive, but I'm a bit too conflicted to support or oppose you here. Toast ltimatum 06:11, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Neutral leaning toward support I've understand you've been doing a lot of hard work cleaning up this Wiki. I also noticed you're an admin on another wiki. However, I'm not sure if we need a full power admin for janitorial work. ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) is made in America 11:45, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Neutral While your janitorial work is highly appreciated, you won't need full-blown adminship if this is all you want to do. You'd make a great junior admin, though. Rtzxy Smashing! 16:33, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- I'll echo Rtxzy's vote -- If junior admiship becomes a thing, you'd be good for that. --HavocReaper48 16:39, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- +10% At this point, I understand why you want adminship. You made an impressive amount of edits and keep your cool. Now I see people's opinion about you, so I decide to change it. Disagreements, disputes, and interaction in your skills seemed to be questionable. Nothing negative to say. I'm not sure if you need a full power admin. Luigi540 (talk) 17:22, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
I'd like to see links to debates that you have participated in thus far before I actually judge. Preferably user conflicts, but understandable if you do not have those. MegaTron1XD 00:09, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Some debates I got involved in include descriptions in specials pages, a deletion discussion for Dark Pit (prior to his confirmation), and the ESRB leak debate. Not sure if they're good enough answer, but there you go. Berrenta (talk) 00:41, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Those are all examples of you opening discussions and then facing opposition to your proposals. Debates aren't important, but dispute-handling is. Have there been any arguments between users that you've resolved on your own? Blue Ninjakoopa 01:13, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
Why is evidence of dispute handling important in RfAs? Just curious. Chilex (talk) 05:58, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Admins generally are entrusted with the responsibility of making the final call on user disputes. Obviously, it's easier to see someone's skill at this if they have handled disputes in the past. Return of Air Conditioner is hurrying up with your croissants 12:04, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
Didn't mean to hinder this RfA, but I noticed many of the failed RfAs were from people who wanted adminship just for janitorial work. ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) is bad for me 12:14, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Yeah that's the thing. I would personally want Junior administrators if they simply want to use janitorial tools. RfAs are incredibly hard on this wiki because users simply don't request it properly or don't have the good experience enough to become admin yet. Even I'm not really that confident enough to handle being an admin. Dots (talk) The Violin 13:41, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Timing has to be considered here. Unknown the Hedgehog's RfA was made at a time where there were about four to five were considered active, while in Toast's second case, there were also about four admins considered active. At this point, we have only two that are considered fully active, so...
- --- Monsieur Crow, Author Extraordinaire, 16:37, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
What is the general criteria as to how a RfA like this passes or fails? I'd say that right now, the oppose/neutral side is stronger (as per the statements above); anything else I should know? Scr7(talk · contribs) 16:12, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- I also noticed that much of the supports are from some new or somewhat expierenced users while the opposes and neutrals are from highly expierenced users. No offense to anyone. ZeldaStarfoxfan2164 (talk) is a never lover boy 16:17, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- Generally the votes that have more reasoning and detail are probably the ones that are more stronger that those with less reasoning and detail. And yes as of right now, despite the supporting side having a little more votes, I would personally say both the opposing and neutral sides have the edge. All that the supporting side is basically saying is that she does a good job with being a wiki janitor and nothing else. Again no offence. Dots (talk) The Yoshi 16:26, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
Inquiry. In your credentials, you state that you have Junior Adminship on Bulbapedia. While this could potentially be a boon in your favour, there do exist differences between SmashWiki's and Bulbapedia's policies and workings, such as the lack of IP editorship on Bulbapedia, thus necessitating fewer potential duties. Can you prove to us that these differences do not matter and would prove you to be competent with admin powers here?
--- Monsieur Crow, Author Extraordinaire, 16:37, 23 September 2014 (EDT)
- @MC:Actually, I do not have that much extra powers as a JAdmin. It's like Rollbacker with a few administrator rights here and there. They are not much, but they do come in handy.
- Also, for those who think that I may not qualify due to my short time here, I completely understand. I can always gather more experience and get involved more if this fails. I can always try again after this account ages enough if needed. Berrenta (talk) 17:00, 23 September 2014 (EDT)