Talk:Magnifying-Glass Damage

From SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Regarding nomenclature: "When your character has left the screen and is being displayed in a tiny hoop, you incur a little bit of damage known as hoop damage. However, once your damage climbs over 150%, you will no longer take damage in this fashion." [1] Miles (talk) 19:39, 24 May 2012 (EDT)

(It's the fourth bullet) Blue Ninjakoopa(Talk) 19:42, 24 May 2012 (EDT)

Move name[edit]

Support per tag. PenroPenroDarkPitHead.png PenroZSSHead.png 17:22, 23 April 2016 (EDT)

Support. SW:OFFICIAL says to prioritize in official names unless they are much less popular. -- EthanEthan7sig.png(Discussion) 17:26, 23 April 2016 (EDT)

Oppose i alwys heard hoop damage PoultrysigSSB4.pngPoultryPoultrysigSSBM.png(talk) the God-Slayer 18:12, 23 April 2016 (EDT)

Both names are official. See the link at the top of this talk page. Miles (talk) 18:40, 23 April 2016 (EDT)

That link is kinda not showing proof though. Its hard to decide which is the proper term anyways. Dots (talk) Mega Man X SNES sprite.png The Melee 23:54, 23 April 2016 (EDT)
Both have been used in different games, but meh. I think this is another case of let's leave well enough alone. Serpent SKSig.png King 23:57, 23 April 2016 (EDT)
Per Serpent King. Not an oppose per se, but more that it's unnecessary. Nyargleblargle.pngNyargleblargle (Contribs) 15:16, 24 April 2016 (EDT)
Yeah, per Serpent King, I'm gonna slight oppose at best as both names are equally relevant to the point where there's no point to move it. Disaster Flare Disaster Flare signature image.png (talk) 22:52, 24 April 2016 (EDT)
I can't access the text, it just asks me to chose a language. But, I am changing this this to neutral since the current name sounds official after reading the quote above, and thus, unnecessary to change. -- EthanEthan7sig.png(Discussion) 17:07, 25 April 2016 (EDT)
Ah, whoops. The link was for the old DOJO location; they've since pushed it all to a /wii subdirectory. Try this. Miles (talk) 18:17, 25 April 2016 (EDT)

Move, again[edit]

When the name "hoop damage" was given on the Brawl website, we used it, and kept it despite "magnifying-glass damage" being used in the SSB4 and SSBU tips. However, I don't think this is the correct course of action anymore. I've noticed two things:

  • The bonuses in melee relating to the bubble use the term "magnifying glass". So "hoop" is not necessarily the earliest term.
  • The Japanese term on the Brawl website is "ルーペダメージ", or loupe damage. "Loupe" is a word for "a small magnifying glass used by jewelers and watchmakers". But because it doesn't seem English, and Japanese blends L and R, it seems that it was misrecognized as "loop" or "roop", and therefore squished into "hoop".

Therefore, I suggest the Brawl term is dodgy at best, and we should change to the term that three other games agree on. Toomai Glittershine ??? The Loony 11:52, January 11, 2020 (EST)

Support, I did wonder why we kept the outdated term for so long, especially since people in the community don't seem to use this term either. Alex the Jigglypuff trainer 11:55, January 11, 2020 (EST)

Support. I really never understood this name, and now it makes sense why. How are the camera boundaries "hoops"? 034.png DracoRex, Creator of the Land 19:09, January 11, 2020 (EST)

Support. The magnifying glass is basically a hoop, it's circular. It's just outdated compared to the new name. Hitbox Enthusiast Zeck (talk) 22:51, January 11, 2020 (EST)

Support. I literally never heard of the term "hoop damage" while the term magnifying-glass damage has been used more. 001Toad.jpg OmegαToαd, the Best Kαrter 18:41, February 17, 2020 (EST)