Talk:COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on competitive Smash
COVID-19's impact on Smash as a whole
From Sakurai's latest Famitsu column (http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/29665), he states the presentation of the next Smash Bros. DLC fighter has been delayed due to the coronavirus. I know that this article is about its impact on just the competitive scene, but now that we know it has has a drastic affect on the entirety of Smash Bros., should the page be expanded to include that? Maybe call it "2019-20 COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on Super Smash Bros." Xm0c (talk) 19:39, March 17, 2020 (EDT)
- The article itself only concerns the presentation to publishers, which is unrelated to the character's announcement; whether that will be delayed (and therefore whether it'll actually impact Smash) is unknown. Unless it causes something more substantial than a single character delay, this information would be better suited as a Trivia point for the fighter's SSBU page, like with last time this happened. Nokii — 20:07, March 17, 2020 (EDT)
"It has been suggested that this article should be moved to COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on competitive Smash. The reason given for the move is: 1) The title should mention specifically that it's for competitive smash since that is what this article is for. 2) the 19 in COVID-19 already suggests the year of the virus, so I don't see the need to specify that in the title."
1) What difference does competitive play and competitive Smash make? 2) Well it's partially because of the Wikipedia article. Also some people might not know what the 19 means and it has gone into 2020. --Meester Tweester (talk) 16:35, May 1, 2020 (EDT)
- It's just being more specific. The article does not cover competitive play for other series. 17:25, May 1, 2020 (EDT)
- Since the current pandemic is so far the only outbreak of the disease COVID-19, the "2019-20" in the title is redundant. "COVID-19 pandemic" uniquely defines which outbreak is being referred to. – Smiddle 05:22, May 3, 2020 (EDT)
Support per above. (talk) 10:48, May 3, 2020 (EDT)
Axe the tournament series section
I suggest we remove the tournament series section as it's very clear that every single tournament series on the planet has been put on hold. The section would be excruciatingly large if we include every single series. We should just add a small sentence stating that essentially every local tournament series has also been put on hold for the time being. Pokebub (talk) 19:49, May 16, 2020 (EDT)
Yeah I placed that section there back when it was still a user page and when there weren't much series being canceled, so I support the deletion.
While on that subject, I don't believe we should list every single tournament on here because of the same reasoning above. The only things listed should be notable tournaments such as nationals, PGRU, and SWT tournaments. CookiesCreme 20:02, May 16, 2020 (EDT)
- Isn't that we've already been doing (plus regionals)? I don't really see anything wrong with the list we currently have or the qualifications for placing a tournament on it either. Pokebub (talk) 21:39, May 16, 2020 (EDT)