Talk:Young Link (SSBU)
Can someone confirm these names on the moveset table?
Half of these look to be fanmade, while half of them seem to be taken straight out of SoulCalibur II's move list for Link. I would like to confirm if these names are indeed visible in this game in the event someone's pulling out fanmade names for the movesets of all the characters. Enigma (talk) 19:02, 1 February 2019 (EST)
- Going by this post about the Melee official strategy guide, most of the names seem to come from there. A lot of normal attack names in the Tips section seem to match the names found in this guide, but Young Link's section in-game doesn't name any of his normals. Would probably safest to go by the current convention of only naming ones named in Tips. — Xamad (talk) 20:07, 1 February 2019 (EST)
The Differences from Link (SSB4) section
The section that talks about Young link's differences from SSB4 Link has pretty much nothing. I put the differences in FAF and autocancel window, but nothing else for now. Please add more of those differences.
- Is that section really necessary? I understand it for echo fighters but we're comparing an Ultimate character to a Smash 4 character. I think at this point it's reaching and really unnecessary. Hitbox Enthusiast Zeck (talk) 16:26, March 7, 2020 (EST)
- I agree with Zeckemyro here. It feels kind of silly to have these kinds of differences between a Smash 4 and Ultimate character. Not only are they different games but the characters are too different to compare at this point. I'd say either change it to Ultimate Link (and well, notice how different they are), or remove the section outright. Same thing can be done to Dr. Mario in the latter case, remove the differences and add an attribute. Plague von Karma 16:57, March 7, 2020 (EST)
- I third this. The section is absolutely unnecessary and I think that we only need the "Changes from Melee" section. Young Link's moveset (at least aesthetically speaking) is practically the same as it was in Melee, so I see no reason as to why we need to compare him to normal Link, especially Link from Smash 4. User:SuperSqank (talk) 17:04, March 7, 2020 (EST)
- I asked the Young Link Discord about this and they seem to agree that the comparison is completely unneeded. Not a lot of people answered, but the Discord is rather inactive. I do think their opposition is worth noting. Hitbox Enthusiast Zeck (talk) 20:20, March 7, 2020 (EST)
- I have always been against comparing different characters from different games. When you are doing an in depth comparison like this, it really has to be more related than that to get anywhere, not just "has some of the same moves kinda". Doing this also suggests that X character is a replacement for Y character, which is not a fair assessment for us to make. It's the same reason we don't claim Lucario to be a replacement for Mewtwo in Brawl. While on the topic, the same list on Toon Link should also be removed imo. 23:23, March 8, 2020 (EDT)
- The Toon Link one is fine in my opinion, since Toon Link was clearly meant to be the replacement for Young Link in Brawl. This one, on the other hand, would benefit much more if the comparison was with Ultimate Link, not SSB4 Link. 126.96.36.199 01:48, March 9, 2020 (EDT)
- It always looked weird to compare an Ultimate clone to their SSB4 parent fighter. If the page is about a character in Ultimate, then SSB4 is completely irrelevant. If we're going to have a "Differences from Link" section then it should be about Ultimate's Link, not SSB4 Link. OmegαToαd the Toαd Wαrrior (BUP) 23:32, March 8, 2020 (EDT)
The detailed comparison has been removed, but I decided to keep the overview paragraph and reflavoured it to be "versus previous games' Link in general" (rather than SSB4 Link specifically), as it still has useful information about YL keeping traits that BotW Link no longer has. Toomai Glittershine Da Bomb 18:22, May 25, 2020 (EDT)
- The paragraph should be there, but it should just be part of the attributes section, rather than as its own. For some reason, I can't remove the section header. 188.8.131.52 23:48, May 25, 2020 (EDT)