Talk:Edge slipping

From SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

A bit of an unorthodox technique, but it gets the job done. Trust me. Also, do you know how humiliating it is to have this done to you, falling slowly and clumsily and landing face first? I don't think it can be teched, either. Runer5h (talk) 21:24, 11 December 2008 (UTC)Runer5h

Oh, and it's in 3rd person now. Should have realized that earlier. Runer5h (talk) 03:34, 10 January 2009 (UTC)Runer5h


This article been around for while but is this a legitimate and notable technique and if so, is this the term use to describe it? While the technique looks legitimate to me (I have seen it work before), I never heard about it outside this article, causing me to question its notability. If this technique is notable, is Defenestration the term to describe it? If not, the article's name needs to be changed to the commonly used term. When I asked Mako Shark about this, she too has never heard the term used before and she linked me to a SWF thread asking if people have heard of Defenestration before. The thread had only three posts and overall seemed to be inconclusive. Omega Tyrant TyranitarMS.png 18:44, July 3, 2010 (UTC)

While it might be inconclusive to say that it is called this, there is also no other commonly accepted name for it, so I think we just stay with what it has been called for two years. Clarinet Hawk (talk · contributions) 18:55, July 3, 2010 (UTC)
So is this technique actually notable? Omega Tyrant TyranitarMS.png 19:00, July 3, 2010 (UTC)
The actual meaning of the word defenestrate is "the action of throwing someone or something out of a window". If it's legit, it needs a more suitable name, since I've searched and no one uses this term. "Guard break" was coined here but it makes sense, "defenestrate" doesn't. Mako Shark (talk) 19:19, July 3, 2010 (UTC)

Name/Purpose of page[edit]

I think we should turn this page from a description of the technique into a description of the piece of game physics which involves behing hit off platforms while shielding. As such, we should come up with a better name. How about "shield slipping"? Toomai Glittershine ??? The Inconceivable 11:29, 21 May 2011 (EDT)

Personally I like the name "Defenestration" I am against the name change.--Shaun's Wiji Dodo talk Untitled-1 copy.gif 11:49, 21 May 2011 (EDT)
I think we should name it "edge slip". And it should contain both a description of the technique and the physics behind it. Omega Tyrant TyranitarMS.png 12:10, 21 May 2011 (EDT)
I was thinking about the name "edge slip", but I thought that the word "shield" should probably be in there somewhere, hence why I suggested "shield slip". Toomai Glittershine ??? The Awesome 21:59, 21 May 2011 (EDT)
Yes, I see the reason for that name as shielding is usually involved, but this describes the event when someone slips off an edge, making "edge slip" more intuitive. And shielding isn't always required for someone to slip off an edge, an attack that produces too weak of knockback to knock someone into the air, but make them slide, can cause someone to slip off an edge with the same mechanics (Wolf's bair for example, can do this at low percentages without the opponent shielding). Also, as the previously linked video shown, "Edge slip" is a known term among the Smash community. Omega Tyrant TyranitarMS.png 04:36, 22 May 2011 (EDT)
Or edge shield(ing) slip?--Wolf rulez! WolfHeadSSBB.png The best! 07:39, 22 May 2011 (EDT)
As I pointed out, shielding isn't always necessary for this phenomenon to occur, so having "shield" in the name of the article isn't needed. Omega Tyrant TyranitarMS.png 08:54, 22 May 2011 (EDT)

OK wait I think I understand this. If you shield a powerful attack (but without powershielding), then you will be knocked back a certain distance, right? Using this to knock an opponent off a platform is a legitimate technique that I've had used on me. Mr. Anon (talk) 12:13, 21 May 2011 (EDT)