Star Fox Smash Taunt
The Star Fox Smash Taunt is a series of Easter eggs included in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. 4, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, where the various Star Fox characters can allow players to hear conversations between characters from the Star Fox series. Excluding the conversations on Orbital Gate Assault, these taunts can only be activated by Star Fox characters on stages from that same series. They later inspired similar Smash Taunts for Snake in Brawl and various Kid Icarus characters in Smash 4.
To perform the special taunt, the player has to tap the down taunt button very briefly (one frame) until they see the character go into a kneeling stance while shaking their fist. In most configurations, this is down on the directional pad. In Melee, players press down on the control pad for one frame.
If the character completes the whole animation (kneeling while shaking fist, and then standing up and putting their hands to their ear receiver), the secret taunt has been activated. If the animation is interrupted before it is completed, the taunt will not activate and cannot be triggered for the rest of the match.
On Orbital Gate Assault, all human players must hold a certain button (the grab button in most configurations) while selecting the stage. Neither Fox nor Falco can be present in the match. Depending on which grab button is held, one of two conversations may play.
These Smash Taunts cannot be activated on the Ω or Battlefield forms of the stages. If Stage Morph is on and the taunt is activated, the morph will be delayed until the conversation has finished. In Lylat Cruise, stage hazards must be turned on for the conversation to work.
- The player can only perform one special taunt per match.
- If they are hit during the animation, the special taunt will fail to execute. The player will have to start another match to perform the taunt.
- The taunt is automatically canceled when someone obtains the Smash Ball (or otherwise enters Final Smash Standby), completes a Dragoon or Daybreak, or the character who initiated the taunt is KO'd; in Melee, if the character is affected by an attack that inflicts hitstun, then the taunt will immediately end.
- There are a total of five special taunts in Lylat Cruise per character. The dialog depends on the background of the stage after a space warp.
- In Lylat Cruise, the special taunt won't immediately start after the pose. Instead, it will begin right after the background does a warp. However, if the character finishes the special taunt pose right after the warp, the dialog will immediately start.
- The backgrounds in Lylat Cruise have no specific order. However, a background will not appear twice in a row.
- The characters' voices heard in Corneria in Brawl and Smash 4 are exactly the same as if the stage was in Melee, albeit with a slight change in dialogue text.
- Fox McCloud - Steve Malpass (English, Corneria and Venom), Jim Walker (English, Lylat Cruise), Mike West (English, Orbital Gate Assault), Shinobu Satouchi (Japanese, Corneria and Venom), Kenji Nojima (Japanese, Lylat Cruise and Orbital Gate Assault)
- Falco Lombardi - Ben Cullum (English, Corneria and Venom), Dex Manley (English, Lylat Cruise), Mark Lund (English, Orbital Gate Assault), Hisao Egawa (Japanese, all stages)
- Wolf O'Donnell - Jay Ward (English), Mahito Oba (Japanese)
- Krystal - Alésia Glidewell (English), Teiya Ichiryūsai (Japanese)
- Slippy Toad - Chris Seavor (English, Corneria and Venom), Mike McAuliffe (English, Lylat Cruise), Lyssa Browne (English, Orbital Gate Assault), Kyoko Tonguu (Japanese, all stages)
- Peppy Hare - Chris Seavor (English, Corneria and Venom), Dex Manley (English, Lylat Cruise), Jaz Adams (English, Orbital Gate Assault), Tomohisa Aso (Japanese, all stages)
- Leon Powalski - Jim Walker (English), Shinobu Satouchi (Japanese)
- Panther Caroso - Eric Newsome (English), Tetsu Inada (Japanese)
- ROB 64 - Dex Manley (English), Yūsuke Numata (Japanese)
Smash Taunt dialogue
Slippy: Use the B button and the Control Stick combos for special moves!
Peppy: Press Up, X, or Y to jump!
Falco: What? You're just now explaining the controls?!?
(Note 1: This is a reference to Star Fox 64's tendency of breaking the fourth wall to explain the controls. However, the controls can be fully explained to the player in Star Fox 64's training mode)
(Note 2: In Melee, Peppy's text reads "Press Up, X or Y Button to jump!", and in Brawl, it instead reads "Press Up or the X or Y Button to jump!"; the text in the 3DS version and Ultimate match the voice clip)
(Note 3: In the 3DS version and Ultimate, the "and the Control Stick combos" part of Slippy's line is removed. Additionally, in the latter, the text simply reads "Use B for special moves!")
Slippy: Wow! I almost feel like going for a swim!
Falco: You swim in the ocean too?
Slippy: Don't make fun of me, birdbrain!
Peppy: Ahh, to be young again...
Peppy: Fox! Be careful! I have a bad feeling about this.
Slippy: What? Everything's fine - I'm here!
Falco: That's what worries me the most...
Falco: Behind you, Fox! Stay alert!
Peppy: Just don't give up! Trust your senses.
Slippy: Come on, Fox!
(Note 1: This is a reference to the team cheering for Fox during some points of Star Fox 64)
(Note 2: This dialogue is removed in the 3DS version)
Peppy: Watch your radar carefully, Fox! [Peppy's window closes, but soon opens up again]
Keep your eyes open! [again, Peppy's window closes, only to open in the next instant]
C'mon, Fox! What are you doing?!?
Slippy: Be quiet, you old fogey!
(Note 1: This is a reference to Peppy being the most talkative of the group, so much so that he even has more lines of dialogue than Fox. His lines are many tips and boss strategies)
(Note 2: In Slippy's dialogue box, the word "fogey" is misspelt as "fogy")
(Note 3: In Ultimate, instead of Peppy's channel window closing and reopening, his portrait will remain on screen during all of his lines. Despite this, the sound of the channel opening can still be heard)
Adventure Mode dialogue
Peppy: Fox! Are you alright?
Slippy: Looks like we're just in time!
Falco: Sheesh! You're such a pain!
Falco: Fox, we've come to help!
Peppy: Looks like you've taken a beating. Hang on!
Slippy: We've got the enemy on our monitors.
Slippy: Fox! Are you alright?
Peppy: Be careful, Fox! This doesn't look good!
Falco: Try to stay alive, huh, Fox?
Falco: I found our prey! Stay clear!
Peppy: Get ready, everybody!
Slippy: I'm right behind you guys!
(* Denotes dialogue that is also used in Adventure Mode)
Peppy: Look out, Slippy! Enemies behind you!
Slippy: Fox! I think someone's on my tail!
Fox: Get out of there, Slippy!
Slippy: Thanks, Fox! I thought I was done for!
(Note: This is a reference to Slippy's perhaps infamous tendency to get chased down by enemies more than the other members.)
Peppy: Falco! Don't let them get you!
Slippy: This has gotten interesting! I'm on the edge of my seat!
Fox: Calm down! This is where the real battle begins!
Slippy: Hold A to charge up shots!
Peppy: Cut your way through with a boost!
Fox: Aren't you guys thinking of something else?
(Note 1: Charged shots and boosts are both techniques used in all Star Fox games thus far)
Fox: All ships report in!
Slippy: This is Slippy! I'm all right! I'm all right!
Peppy: Peppy here! I'm a little shaken, but I'm OK. (Peppy's window reappears) Sorry... I've always wanted to say that.
(Note 1: This is a reference to the ending of various stages in Star Fox 64. Members would comment on their status from the amount of health they have.)
Slippy: Wait right there, Andross! All ships report!
Peppy: Hey, Slippy! Don't get too excited!
Fox: Keep it together! Things are about to get ugly!
(Note: This dialogue is removed in the 3DS version)
Event 23: Slippy's Invention
Slippy: How's the cloaking device I invented?
Lylat Cruise taunts
- Corneria: Despite Leon calling it a "blue planet", Peppy and Fox refer to it as Corneria. This is the main planet in the game series.
- Asteroid fields: Asteroids at the background appear while an Arwing appears to shoot it.
- Skirmish: Space fleets firing at each other.
- Dogfight: Star Wolf vs. Star Fox with the Great Fox flying in the background.
- Starry space: A starry field.
Peppy: Look, we're passing Corneria. Protecting this planet sure has been a lot of work.
Falco: Yeah, it's kept things from getting too boring around here.
Wolf: Don't think you can take a breather just yet, Team Star Fox!
Peppy: Ahhh! Star Wolf!
Wolf: You know you are all like us. Our fates are intertwined. We are destined to meet in battle.
Wolf: After all, what fun is there to be had in peace and quiet? A real warrior can only live in the battlefield!
Falco: Then why don't you show me what a real warrior's like, fuzzball! I'm ready if you are!
Slippy: Boy, those guys are always itching to fight, huh?
Peppy: We've hit an asteroid field! Protect the main ship at all costs!
Falco: Take it easy, Peppy. We just need to blow up some of these asteroids, right?
Slippy: Don't worry about us, Fox! We've got things covered here. You just focus on the battle!
Krystal: Don't let us down, Fox!
Slippy: Blast 'em once for me, buddy!
Peppy: We're in the middle of an interplanetary skirmish. Stay sharp and keep an eye on your six!
Slippy: Eeep! This place is a war zone!
Falco: Heh, what are you worried about? These guys are weaker than overcooked noodles!
Peppy: Mmm? Overcooked noodles? What's that supposed to mean?
Krystal: That's not a terribly good comparison, is it?
(Note: This actually makes sense in the Japanese dialog. "Somen" is a type of noodle, but it also means "injury". Peppy mistakes "somen" as a noodle instead of the latter.)
Falco: Pff! We meet again, Star Wolf!
Krystal: Uugh! These guys are no joke!
Leon: Heh, I'll make sure to work you over real good before I turn you into scrap metal.
Panther: Do you see my red rose? It marks your imminent death!
Wolf: Listen close: I won't let a single one of you leave here alive!
Wolf: And Fox, remember this! I'm the one who's going to take you down!
Falco: Fox looks like he's got his hands full.
Krystal: Yes, he's putting up quite a fight, though.
Peppy: You know, he reminds me of his father every day.
Slippy: Hey, this is no time for chitchat, guys!
Slippy: Shouldn't we be worried about Fox? He's out there with no air! How's he supposed to breathe?!
Peppy: Bah! Way to go, Slippy. No one would've even noticed if you hadn't opened up your big yap!
Fox: Looks like we made it to Corneria. Falco sure is a sticking it to 'em out there.
Krystal: Yes, but don't you find it... odd? I've never even seen some of his opponents before.
Fox: Well, it is a brawl, after all. Everyone's in on the fight!
Peppy: That gives me itching for some action. I want in!
Slippy: No way! Old-timers like you ride the bench. This fight's mine!
Krystal: What are you two thinking? I'm the only one who can come through in a fight like this!
(Note: Krystal notes that she is the only one between her, Slippy, and Peppy that can put up with the fights in Smash. This would eventually happen with her appearance as an Assist Trophy in Ultimate.)
Fox: It's an asteroid belt. We've got to clear a path!
Slippy: EEEP! OH, THIS IS BAAAD!
Peppy: Get ahold of yourself, Slippy! Falco's counting on us.
Krystal: If we let a fragment fly off toward the ship, it could cause serious damage!
Slippy: I wouldn't worry too much. Falco's a tough old bird. He can take care of himself.
Peppy: Well... yeah, I guess you've got a point there.
Slippy: Wow! We're in the middle of a full-scale skirmish!
Fox: Keep your hat on, Slippy!
Peppy: Yeah, look at Falco. He's not letting the skirmish slow him up one bit.
Krystal: Yes, he's the fighter, all right. Who else would have the guts to open a communication channel during a fistfight?
Peppy: Just the same, watch yourself, Falco. Don't go getting yourself toasted by a stray laser!
Slippy: Good luck, Falco!
Wolf: Playtime ends here, Star Fox!
Fox: Star Wolf!
Leon: Hey there, boy, how do you like my new ship? Want to see what it can do?
Panther: I am known as Panther Caroso. I salute you, my enemy.
Krystal: Hmph, it looks like the gang's all here.
Peppy: Good enough! Come on, Fox, let's get 'em!
Slippy: Hey, don't forget about me!
Fox: Ah, finally, a day free of space combat.
Krystal: That may be so, but it's looking like a regular war zone on top of the ship.
Peppy: Falco! If you lose this one, I'm never going to let you live it down!
Peppy: Go, Falco! Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Slippy: Ha! I think I've heard that line before!
Peppy: Erm, sorry, Fox. I kind of channeled your dad there.
Fox: Yeah, I noticed, Peppy.
Leon: A blue planet... It's actually quite breathtaking, isn't it?
Slippy: Boy, I'll say! Look at all that water!
Slippy: It's a paradise for guys like you and me, huh? Without a quick dip in the water now and then, we get all dried out!
Leon: Listen, I'm no frog. Don't try to stick us in the same group!
Slippy: But, you've got a long stretchy tongue just like me, right?
Leon: Didn't I just tell you to drop the subject?
(Note: During Leon's last line, he can briefly be heard stuttering before saying, "--drop the subject". It's unknown if this is intentional or a mistake by his voice actor)
(Note: The following quotes are separated in two different ways.)
In Brawl, Slippy: Boy, I'll say! Look at all that water!
Slippy: It's a paradise for guys like you and me, huh? Without a quick dip in the water now and then, we get all dried out!
In Ultimate, Slippy: Boy, I'll say! Look at all that water! It's a paradise for guys like you and me, huh?
Slippy: Without a quick dip in the water now and then, we get all dried out!
Leon: Star Wolf is here in the asteroid field.
Krystal: Oh my. This looks like it's going to be rather nasty.
Panther: Worry not, my dear.
Panther: Should you find yourself in harm's way, I would use the very ship I pilot to protect you.
Krystal: Oh, I feel so much better hearing that. You're such a gentleman, Panther.
Falco: Do me a favor and get creamed by an asteroid while you're at it! I'll sleep better at night once you do.
Panther: Cease your jabbering, parrot!
Falco: What did you just say?!
(Note: Due to the fact that this background lasts for a short time, the dialogue for Wolf's Smash Taunt continues through the next background change)
Panther: A skirmish... Just the place for a bunch of space drifters like ourselves.
Leon: Star Wolf is really giving it his all out there. I'm more than a bit envious of him.
Leon: Those razor-sharp claws, those keen fangs!
Leon: He moves wildly, and fights with the spirit of a warrior possessed!
Leon: Any prey he sets his eye on is doomed to be shredded to pieces!
Panther: Umm... Leon? Are you...feeling all right?
Leon: Yes, of course! Fine! Just fine.
Leon: Haa ha haaaaa ha haaahaaa...
Panther: Set me straight here, Leon. Are you envious of the shred-DER or the shred-DEE?
Panther: You're foolish to anger me, bird. You must have a death wish!
Falco: Feh! You guys just won't learn your lesson, will you?
Leon: Impudent fowl! You will kneel before me!
Slippy: Ahhh! Guys, Falco's in trouble!
Falco: Can it, Slippy! The tougher the scrape, the brighter I shine!
Falco: Keep back! I'll be the one to bag this cat!
Krystal: My, the stars out here are so beautiful.
Panther: Oh, but not as beautiful as your radiant self, my dear Krystal.
Krystal: Oh Panther, you always were quite the flatterer.
Panther: Amazing, isn't it? To think that the two of us were fated to cross paths in such a sparkling, endless galaxy.
Panther: Even if we were on opposite sides of space, I would speed to your side, faster than a shooting star.
Panther: Krystal, know that my beating heart burns red hot for you, as red as the rose I hold.
Falco: Good grief! Where do you come up with this stuff?! Enough already!
Orbital Gate Assault conversation
A Star Fox conversation appears on this stage. Unlike previous Smash Taunts, the Orbital Gate Assault conversation requires that neither of the Star Fox characters be in the match. It is triggered if all human players hold down ZR or ZL (or the equivalent) when selecting this stage on the Stage Selection screen. The conversation does not play if the Ω form is selected.
- Falco: Peppy, come in.
- Peppy: What's the matter? Molting again?
- Falco: Very funny. You've got hitchhikers on the Great Fox.
- Peppy: Huh? What?
- Peppy: Fighters?!
- Falco: Looks like they're trying to smash up your hull.
- Fox: Let's focus on the mission, guys.
- Fox: If that missile hits the gate, it's all over.
- Falco: Hold it!
- Falco: They just jumped on the missile!
- Peppy: What?!
- Slippy: So... can I still blow it up?
- Peppy: This is kinda fun. Anybody got some popcorn?
- Fox: We don't have time to goof off!
- Falco: Let's just take it out!
- Slippy: The missile's about to hit the gate!
- Peppy: How can they fight each other at a time like this?
- Falco: Whatever. I'm wasting that thing.
- Slippy: Go, go, go!
- Falco: Whoa... They survived.
- Fox: By jumping on my ship!
- Peppy: Guess we're giving free rides!
- Slippy: They better not step on my G-Diffuser!
- Fox: Ngh...!
- Peppy: Heads up, boys. Missile incoming. Port side.
- Falco: Looks like this one's coming in hot.
- Slippy: I'll bet they'll jump on this one too!
- Falco: Can't blame 'em. Fighting on a missile would be a blast.
- Slippy: The missile's approaching the gate!
- Fox: Attack formation! Target the fighters! I mean the missile!
- Falco: Why don't you just admit it, Fox – you want to join the fight down there, don't you?
- Fox: That's not it at all!
- Fox: Now! Fire! FIRE!
- Fox: Target destroyed!
- Fox: Mini missiles! Watch out!
- Slippy: What'll happen if they hit our new friends?
- Peppy: Why don't you fly near a missile and find out?
- Slippy: I'd...rather not.
- Slippy: Waahh!
- Falco: Come on. It just grazed you.
- Fox: We're headed home, team. Fox out!
- Peppy: Let's call it a day.
- Peppy: Protect the gate until the Aparoid self-destruct program is complete.
- Slippy: If we can't get that program to their homeworld, we're done for!
- Fox: Let's destroy that missile first.
- Peppy: No time to show off. Pull up alongside me and attach that beacon!
- Fox: Peppy, get the Great Fox out of here!
- Peppy: I'm on it!
- Falco: Man, these bugs are getting on my nerves.
- Slippy: Beacon attached!
- Fox: Let's take out some Aparoids while we close in on that missile.
- Fox: We can't risk hitting the warhead. Let's attack it from the side!
- Falco: Scared of a little challenge Fox?
- Slippy: The missile's accelerating. It's gonna hit the gate!
- Peppy: Not quite! The gate's energy shield should protect it!
- Falco: But it won't hold up for long.
- Fox: This is it! Fire!
- Fox: Target destroyed.
- Falco: That was a close call!
- ROB 64: Missile approaching. It is targeting the gate.
- Peppy: Port side. It's real close.
- Slippy: Another missile?! I'll attach a beacon!
- Fox: Counterattack. All together now!
- Falco: Sure would be nice if we could do a U-turn here.
- Slippy: Missile impact in 3, 2, 1...
- Slippy: Impact!
- Peppy: Will the shield hold?!
- Falco: It will on my watch.
- Fox: Now! Fire!
- Falco: Piece of cake.
- Slippy: Mini missile incoming! They're on my tail!
- Peppy: Don't panic now. Hold formation!
- Falco: Any missiles you manage to shake off might hit one of us... or the gate.
- Slippy: Waaah!
- Falco: Those things can do serious damage if they hit you.
- Fox: Returning to the Great Fox.
- Peppy: Well, boys. It wasn't pretty, but we made it.
- Fox never appears in any of Wolf's Smash Taunts, despite partaking in Falco's.
- Slippy hints that Falco and Wolf are unlockable characters during the Corneria section of Lylat Cruise in saying "those two are itching to fight."
- Wolf is the only Star Fox character to lack a Smash Taunt on Corneria and Venom, since he wasn't playable in Melee.
- Unlike in Melee and Brawl, when the Smash Taunt in Corneria is initiated in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, the music stops during the conversation then resets when the conversation is finished.
- In Star Fox 64, Fox's color code is yellow, Falco is blue, Peppy is red, and Slippy is green. However, in the Orbital Gate Assault taunt, Falco's and Slippy's color codes are switched.
- In the Lylat Cruise taunt in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the text boxes are updated to match the Orbital Gate Assault conversation.
- In Smash 4, everyone has their full names shown, but in Ultimate, they only have their first names.
- In Smash 4, Wolf's mugshot has changed from his appearance in Brawl to his appearance in Star Fox: Assault.
- Similarly, the character portraits for the Corneria Smash Taunts in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are based on Star Fox 64 3D and the text boxes for the Lylat Cruise Smash Taunts resemble their appearance in Star Fox: Assault.
- While the Smash Taunts for Corneria, Venom and Lylat Cruise return from previous games, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the first game to lack any completely new Star Fox conversations since Melee.
- In the Lylat Cruise stage in Brawl, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Peppy, Slippy, Krystal, Panther, and Leon have shield gauges.
- In Smash 4, Peppy's shield gauge is removed, and in Ultimate, everyone's shield gauge is removed.